frame
Howdy Debater!
Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is time travel going to be possible?

Opening Argument

inc4tinc4t 137 Pts
in the next 200-500 years, will we develop technology to time travel?
if so, just forward, backward, or both directions?
northsouthkoreajoecavalry
  1. Is time travel going to be possible?

8 votes
    1. Yes - just to the future
        0.00%
    2. Yes - to future and past
      37.50%
    3. Yes - just back in time
      12.50%
    4. No
      50.00%

Arguments

• Yes, as sicnisrhists are unlocking doors into these projects.
  • PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 172 Pts
    edited July 9
    They might make something along the lines of hyper sleep/cryogenic freezing (similar to how Fry ended up 1,000 years into the future in Futurama), though I don't count this as time travelling.

And backwards time travelling seems very unlikely, as someone once said we'd be having tourists from the future if backwards time travelling was possible (even if it was outlawed). So if backwards time travelling isn't possible, technology for future travel doesn't seem very likely. I feel very comfortable with my theory that time travel won't exist, excluding going into hyper sleep.
    joecavalry
  • inc4tinc4t 137 Pts
    @PowerPikachu21, never say never. What seems impossible now is just due to out limitations in thinking.
  • @inc4t So does time travel seem possible? The technology would be incredibly complex, perhaps near impossible. And I haven't seen or heard of any alien or future beings from the future coming to the past. And in the future, if time travel is possible, they must have already made it, or else time itself becomes questionable. And if backwards time travel isn't possible, it would follow that forwards time travel would be similar technology; particles travelling through time. If backwards time travel isn't possible, forwards time travel is equally as unlikely.

Even if we give humanity 500 years, I think the closest to travelling in time would be hyper sleep, which I don't count as time travelling exactly; as I'd imagine time travel is sending particles through time. Maybe teleportation could be found, but time travelling is just seemingly hard. Convince me that I'm wrong.
  • inc4tinc4t 137 Pts
    @PowerPikachu21, do you watch starTrek?  They have many forms of time travel. There are many options: 
    1) space worm holes that allow travel much faster than speed of light, essentially bending time and space continuum. 
    2) time space anomalies that create disruptiion in the dimension, either a parallel universe or time travel.  It is not well controlled, but it is conceivable that technology can be developed to create such an effect.
    3) alien technology that can transport much faster than speed of light at warp speed. If we can travel much faster than speed of light than we start getting into weird issues like seeing the past from far away as light reflects.

you claim that no one traveled here from the future. We cannot assert such claim, as we just wouldn't know.

all I am saying that we don't know enough to claim that time travel is impossible.   100 years ago many things that are available today sounded completely insane.
  • @inc4t

1) This is definitely a theory I've heard, but it would be difficult to find one, let alone control one. And if backwards time travel did exist like this, is the government hiding the tourists? And the technology used to contain this? Just seems incredibly overwhelming thinking about how much energy is inside of this wormhole.

2) This also seems complicated. While it's possible, it would be difficult to discover how to contain this energy and use it in a doorway.

3) That assumes 1) Alien life exists, 2) Alien life has highly advanced technology, and 3) That technology goes through time via going hyperspeed.
  • inc4tinc4t 137 Pts
    @PowerPikachu21, I agree with all your points above and all of these are just far fetched theories that seem highly improbable.  That said, none if these are "impossible", and given pace of innovation and a long enough time period we may see some unexpected ways for limited time travel. Maybe it will be something we completely don't anticipate today
    PowerPikachu21
  • There are many theories, but it is not likely even in the next 500 years. Maybe millions, but I do not think it will be possible, we can only wish.
    love2debatejoecavalry
  • @George_Horse, that is a statement not based on facts.  200 years ago no one could imagine going to space either. Technology experiences exponential improvement and there will be a breakthrough at some point.
    joecavalry
  • It is possible that it is possible; therefore, it is possible.
    WhyTrump
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 156 PtsPremium Member
    Premium Member
    It is possible that it is possible; therefore, it is possible.
    Makes sense to me. Unless proven that impossible it is possible.
    DawnBringerRivenjoecavalry
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • I believe that it may be ossicle tot travel through the past and future due to new scientific discoveries.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • edited September 25
    I don't like time travel. too many paradoxes.

If you accept the concept of linear time, one event leads to the next which leads to the next etc. Then anything that you did in past with time travel already happened at the time that you went back to do it. Say if you went back in time to kill Hitler. with linear time, if you go back you did whatever you do in the past which means it's already happened. So you know you're going to fail. But if that keeps you from going back then you never tried but if you do you are going to fail. Or say you can change the past, and you go back and kill Hitler. That means he never comes to power which means there's no WWII or a holocaust. Which means that you have to reason to go back. so you don't. But if you don't, Hitler comes to power. so you do. and because you did you didn't and because you didn't you did. Then you're trapped in an infinite logic loop. Then, what if there are multiple branching timelines and every decision makes a new timeline. How do you know that you changed the timeline that you originally came from and didn't just trap yourself in the new one. Then there's the butterfly effect and we all know how that could go.
    PowerPikachu21
  • @Vincent_Costanzo I agree time travel is full of paradoxes, and while interesting to think about, it would be best if it didn't exist. (Also, time travel is why I didn't like the ending of Free Birds. The idea of time travel gets used pretty nicely, except the "reveal" at the end just made it stupid just to complete a time loop. It also ties in nicely with Vincent's logic with how travelling back in time to fix something makes it pointless and paradoxical.)
  • WakeWake 3 Pts
    People who think that time travel will be possible are also people that think we can colonize Mars. Go ahead and try it. The ONE thing that seems to move faster than light it is quantum entanglement. And that appears to not be a transfer of information at all but the same particle peeking out of the front and back end of the universe.