frame

Should military spending be increased?

Opening Argument

Should military spending be increased, decreased, or kept as the same?
therepwalterbaWoodenWoodfea
  1. Should military spending be increased, decreased, or kept the same?

9 votes
    1. Increased
      33.33%
    2. Neither increased nor decreased
      55.56%
    3. Decreased
      11.11%

Arguments

• thereptherep 56 Pts
    Military spending needs to be increased. Will threats coming down counties we haven't got threats from in the past, defense needs to be increased and so does insta budget for that to happen.
    SilverishGoldNova
  • Historically our spending was at much higher level as a percentage of GDP.  It has been drastically lowered in prior administration. We should just get it back to where it used to be and spend it more wisely, with more weight on latest technology military improvents
    walterba
  • The military facilitates economy. There is a reason why pirates don't exist anymore. It's a good thing the US doesn't tax other countries for the protection it gives. Also China is becoming an increasing threat. So the military spending needs to be increased or not changed, but definitely not decreased.
    walterba
  • @1Hacker0 Actually, there are still pirates, and with our navy having the fewest ships since 1916, their attacks are surging.
  • @CYDdharta I didn't mean they didn't exist at all. Of course there are some. But when compared with world history as a whole, there are relatively less pirates. 
  • VaulkVaulk 271 Pts
    edited August 15
    @1Hacker0,

Actually no, there are not relatively less pirates today than in History.  The fact is...and it's a hard pill to swallow, is that we live in a very sheltered world where problems like Piracy just don't seem to exist because they don't affect us directly.  It's very unfortunate that people think this way, but we live behind a veil that few ever have the opportunity to see past and most of those who do still only see it from a controlled perspective.  The reality is that Piracy is real, it's big, there are more pirates and instances of piracy happening in today's world than ever before and it's steadily rising.

I think most of this misunderstanding comes from the idea that piracy (During the Golden Age of Piracy) was some booming industry that resulted in hundreds or thousands of ships being plundered.  In all actuality, most Pirate crews during that time didn't overtake more than 8 ships each year and only the famous and notoriously efficient Pirates took more than that which still only equated to around 12 ships each year.  Black Bart (Bartholomew Roberts) was considered to be the most successful Pirate of all time and his record was 400 ship captures from 1719 - 1722.  His average was just about 100 ships each year and that was while he commanded 4 ships, one of which was the most heavily armed Pirate ship to ever sail during the Golden Age of Piracy.  No other Pirate ever came close to his record so that gives you an idea of how many ships total were overtaken by pirates back then.

http://www.thewayofthepirates.com/piracy-history/modern-piracy/
    https://www.cnbc.com/2014/09/15/worlds-most-pirated-waters.html

1Hacker0walterba
    "If there's no such thing as a stupid question then what kind of questions do stupid people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stupid".

• This is not a "Persuade Me" Debate. This is a casual Debate.

My stance on this topic is that military spending must be increased and possibly fluctuate ate based on current environment threats and times.