frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Abortion should be illegal in non life threatening situations

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    @JuicyMelonTech

1. I agree. It isn't about pain.

"We agree that fetuses are less developed than we are. But should we kill them because they are so?"
    Eggs are less developed than we are, yet we can kill them without hesitation.

2. I agree. It isn't about location. 

3. I agree. It isn't about dependency.

"Does degree of dependency determine value?"
    This is one of you arguments you used against me to prove that a sperm cell isn't comparable to a fetus:
    "A sperm cell does not develop by itself, while a fetus does. A fetus is an unborn child, a sperm cell is a potential fertilization tool. A sperm cell is not a potential life itself, rather it is a tool in making one."
    Using this argument contradicts your earlier argument, which means one of these arguments is false. My earlier quote explains the situation if your argument that sperm doesn't matter is true:
    "'A sperm cell is not a potential life itself, rather it is a tool in making one.'
    Since the sperm cell is a tool, it needs to be able to operate on something to create the fetus then. That would be the egg, in which case there would still be potential humans dying since
    'a woman's unfertilized eggs are constantly being grown and then die if not fertilized.'

You also made an argument that a sperm cell cannot become a human by itself, unlike the fetus. But the fetus also can't become a human by itself. It needs the mother's body to grow. If we used this logic then abortion would be moral before the third trimester. The fetus has a mind at the second trimester so I do not agree with this, but I am just using it as an argument."
    If your sperm argument was false then my other argument comes into play: "If abortion is murder, then ejaculation is genocide."

What it's really about:
    It is about the ability to care. "[It] is different when it comes to fetuses. It isn't that fetuses don't care about their lives. It's that they can't care. Just like your hand can't care about its life." It is about having a mind.