frame

Why does it go dark at night?

Opening Argument

I believe it is because the Earth is a revolving sphere.
And the Sun is a light emitting star, approximately 150.000km distant from the Earth.
As the Earth revolves, the area facing away from the Sun goes dark.
natbarons1Hacker0ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
  1. Is this an accurate statement.

6 votes
    1. Yes
      83.33%
    2. No
      16.67%

Arguments

• Yes, this is due to the spherical shape of the Earth.
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
  • The same reason one end of my street is dark, and the other is lit up with street lights. The sun is never below my feet, it is just far away.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

• natbarons said:
    Yes, this is due to the spherical shape of the Earth.

SilverishGoldNova
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

• @Erfisflat Then how come when I'm on the dark end of the street, I can still see the street lights? I can see the street light no matter where I am on the street. This would mean I can see the Sun during night, even though it is dark. 
  • Erfisflat said:
    The same reason one end of my street is dark, and the other is lit up with street lights. The sun is never below my feet, it is just far away.

No street lights where I live.
    At night I can stand and look in awe at the vast expanses of outer space.
  • 1Hacker0 said:
    @Erfisflat Then how come when I'm on the dark end of the street, I can still see the street lights? I can see the street light no matter where I am on the street. This would mean I can see the Sun during night, even though it is dark. 
    The scaling is way off here, for one, you're ignoring atmospheric conditions.

• And the obvious fact that the earth isn't a concrete road.

• 1Hacker0 said:
    @Erfisflat Then how come when I'm on the dark end of the street, I can still see the street lights? I can see the street light no matter where I am on the street. This would mean I can see the Sun during night, even though it is dark. 

Maybe it's just that the street lights are not working.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 753 Pts
    edited August 18
    1Hacker0 said:

Maybe it's just that the street lights are not working.
    Similar to a pressurised ball in an infinite vacuum? Most opposing pressure systems (like light bulbs) require a physical barrier to coexist.

• Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

• And I thought Coveny and WoodenWood were at entry level.
    Image result for spotlight sun gif

We were all there.

• Erfisflat said:
    And I thought Coveny and WoodenWood were at entry level.

We were all there.
    Fair enough, but it seems Fred can't acknowledge the most basic of the flat Earth
    Erfisflat
  • I'm delighted to talk about it. It's only when people get dismissive, ridicule and ignore evidence that I get irritated. This is signs of bias and programming.
    SilverishGoldNova1Hacker0

• An unwillingness to unlearn and relearn, and let go of the ball shows ignorance and cognitive dissonance. 

• Erfisflat said:

Simple. Space isn't a Vacuum. Because it's full of matter.

Definition from the Oxford dictionary. Vacuum. A space entirely devoid of matter.
    Erfisflat
  • Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Fair enough, but it seems Fred can't acknowledge the most basic of the flat Earth
    Right said Fred.
    But why do you think it goes dark at night?
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 753 Pts
    edited August 19
    Erfisflat said:

Simple. Space isn't a Vacuum. Because it's full of matter.

Definition from the Oxford dictionary. Vacuum. A space entirely devoid of matter.
    Not as simple as a light source being far enough away to not cast light on something. It's still a positive pressure system adjacent, no, enveloped in a negative pressure system, perfect vacuum or not, which has never been demonstrated or reproduced on any scale.

• Erfisflat said:
    The same reason one end of my street is dark, and the other is lit up with street lights. The sun is never below my feet, it is just far away.

You only think it's vast, or space, mainly because your science book told you so. It's really a dome with lights in it.

• Erfisflat said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=Proof+of+firmament

• Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

• edited August 20
    Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.
    On the flat Earth? Look at the GIF for a few minutes. Then think. 
  • Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.

Very pretty. But illogical.
    As your sun has nothing to hide behind there would always be residual light, no matter how far away the light source was.
    Erfisflat
  • Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.

As your sun has nothing to hide behind there would always be residual light, no matter how far away the light source was.
    Herpaderp, never heard of the atmosphere?

• Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.