frame
Howdy Debater!
Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We live on a flat plane

Opening Argument

SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 488 PtsPremium Member
edited September 21 in Earth Science
We are all told from the moment we enter a classroom the Earth is a ball in space spinning faster than sound blasting around the sun. However so far, the only proof for the globe I have seen is contradictory pseudoscience. The globe started out as a theory thousands of years ago, that became accepted because of claims that were later (aka today) shown to actually be proof of a flat world, and now people are willing to defend it because "Muh NASA photos". Some globe Earthers have even gone as far as to say we live on an egg or pear shaped Earth, citing Neil deGrasse Tyson saying so as their proof. 
aarongjoecavalryWoodenWoodMax_Air29walterbamelefnatbaronsfeanamemcnamenorthsouthkoreaand 1 other.
  1. So what shape is the Earth?

20 votes
    1. A flat plane, obviously
      25.00%
    2. NASA photos show...
      60.00%
    3. Neil deGrasse Tyson said...
      15.00%
"Yes I seriously said that. Yes I think mountains are curvature"
"Refusal to provide evidence of my claim or address an opposition's argument against my claim means I'm a liar? You sure you want to take that position? ROFL"
"I couldn't address your arguments so I insulted you"
"Rahu doesn't exist because Erfisflat said black holes don't exist"
spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

Arguments

• Their is imagery which clearly shows that the Earth is round. NASA has released images and so have many other organizations etc.
    SilverishGoldNovaWoodenWoodMax_Air29ErfisflatTransgendersAreGay
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 488 PtsPremium Member
    edited August 22 Premium Member
    Their is imagery which clearly shows that the Earth is round. NASA has released images and so have many other organizations etc.
    NASA imagery is demonstrably unreliable. They say that, while they're able to send probes to Jupiter and out of the Solar System, and it was so easy to go to the moon 6 times more than 50 years, we are now simultaneously unable to leave low Earth orbit and get a full picture of Earth. It's either a composite or a CGI. Even then the moon landings, probes, and space shuttles have already been debunked.

They even admit to photoshopping images if they look flat. 

WoodenWoodnamemcnameErfisflat
    "Refusal to provide evidence of my claim or address an opposition's argument against my claim means I'm a liar? You sure you want to take that position? ROFL"
    spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
  • Is the flat Earth supposed to be a joke? I refuse to believe you really mean anything you've said @SilverishGoldNova
    Max_Air29walterbanamemcnameErfisflat
    Premium Member
    Is the flat Earth supposed to be a joke? I refuse to believe you really mean anything you've said @SilverishGoldNova

While it isn't a joke it's apparent the majority of globe Earthers view us as trolls or idiots and become obsessed with us because they think they'll win.
    Max_Air29feaWoodenWoodnamemcnameErfisflat
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 465 PtsPremium Member
    Premium Member
    Is the flat Earth supposed to be a joke? I refuse to believe you really mean anything you've said @SilverishGoldNova
    The heliocentric model is the joke.
    Max_Air29WoodenWoodnamemcname
    "Don't just teach your children to read, teach them to question what they read. Teach them to question everything." George Carlin 

Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

• One thing I dislike about conspiracy theorists is that they despise anyone who disagrees with them. Especially with Erfisflat's polls on his debates making the disagreeing choice seem childish/obviously wrong. And here, there's 1 choice which has the voter agree with the conspirist (which is phrased as "the obvious correct choice"), or 2 forcing the disagreers to appeal to authority, where there's also various evidences other than authority like NASA.

And the only way to make me believe the Earth is flat is by taking me to an edge or taking me into outer space and making a complete orbit around the Earth in which I see a flat disk. Until then, I ask this: Why should I be a flat earther?
    SilverishGoldNovaMax_Air29Erfisflat
  • Apparently it's humorous to imagine people getting along. Actually, it is. Especially if the people's opinions differ greatly.
    SilverishGoldNovaMax_Air29
    edited August 22 Premium Member
    One thing I dislike about conspiracy theorists is that they despise anyone who disagrees with them. Especially with Erfisflat's polls on his debates making the disagreeing choice seem childish/obviously wrong. And here, there's 1 choice which has the voter agree with the conspirist (which is phrased as "the obvious correct choice"), or 2 forcing the disagreers to appeal to authority, where there's also various evidences other than authority like NASA.

And the only way to make me believe the Earth is flat is by taking me to an edge or taking me into outer space and making a complete orbit around the Earth in which I see a flat disk. Until then, I ask this: Why should I be a flat earther?

Ok lets take a minute to dissect this frog.

"Despise anyone who disagrees with them" I don't despise people who disagrees with me. The issue I have with them is the fact they never bring up an argument but instead act like we're idiot trolls and bring up strawmans and ad homs, because they think we're as I already said idiot trolls and then do nothing but this then act like they won.

"or 2 forcing the disagreers to appeal to authority, where there's also various evidences other than authority like NASA." Let me guess, curvature from airplanes at 35,000 feet, which is caused by curved windows, and the fact we see none at 317,000 feet?

"And the only way to make me believe the Earth is flat is by taking me to an edge or taking me into outer space and making a complete orbit around the Earth in which I see a flat disk. Until then, I ask this: Why should I be a flat earther?"

Hahaha, no flat Earther today believes in an edge, nor does any flat Earther believe we live on a giant space pizza unless you're talking about controlled opposition groups like TFES. 
  • Okay. So what exactly is the Flat Earth, if not a disk (meaning it would have an edge)? If we're talking about an infinite plane, then would this mean I can go straight forever? If it's an infinite plane, will I eventually reach my house if I choose one direction and go straight?
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflatMax_Air29
    Premium Member
    Okay. So what exactly is the Flat Earth, if not a disk (meaning it would have an edge)? If we're talking about an infinite plane, then would this mean I can go straight forever? If it's an infinite plane, will I eventually reach my house if I choose one direction and go straight?
    Image result for Dome and firmament

This is a dome, which is we travelers don't "fall off the edge all the time"

PowerPikachu21Max_Air29feaWoodenWoodnamemcnameErfisflat
  • This might be a little nit picky, but even if there's a dome, there'd still be an edge to see. But what is this dome made out of, and who put it there? And looking at the model, the sun and moon hover over the ground. How then would they move around? What exactly is an eclipse and how would it work in the model? (If the model isn't accurate, then try to provide a better one.)
    Max_Air29Erfisflat
    Premium Member

@PowerPikachu21
    An edge? You mean the antarctic ice wall? Is that what you meant the whole time?

Why do eclipses happen? The eclipse is actually one of the biggest proofs for the geocentric model. The heliocentric model has changed the moon's direction to the opposite of what we see in attempt to get eclipses right. But if it takes 27 days for the moon to orbit the Earth, how does it's shadow move to each side of the us in a matter of hours?  
    Max_Air29feanamemcnameErfisflat
    Premium Member
    This might be a little nit picky, but even if there's a dome, there'd still be an edge to see. But what is this dome made out of, and who put it there? And looking at the model, the sun and moon hover over the ground. How then would they move around? What exactly is an eclipse and how would it work in the model? (If the model isn't accurate, then try to provide a better one.)
    People sometimes disagree on details of a full model, but all agree that water is always flat.
    Max_Air29namemcname
    "Don't just teach your children to read, teach them to question what they read. Teach them to question everything." George Carlin 

Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

• @SilverishGoldNova

I guess that Ice Wall is what I was looking for in terms of an edge. Though what would happen if one were to climb this wall? Would you see the edge? If we're in a giant dome, could I touch it if I scaled this wall somehow?

Also, you didn't answer my question about the sun and moon. How do the sun and moon move? According to the model, we see them hovering. Why are they hovering? Inside the dome, no less. I'm having trouble figuring out how this is possible in your model.

You did say "But if it takes 27 days for the moon to orbit the Earth, how does it's shadow move to each side of the us in a matter of hours?" I'm not sure where you're going with this, though. What do you mean by shadow? I haven't heard of the moon casting a shadow, other than during eclipses and moon phases. Though thinking about it now, I have more questions. How do moon phases work in the Flat Earth? And how do eclipses happen?

I'll also make one thing clear. I'm asking questions to see the other side so I can understand where they're coming from. Though if I see any contradictions, I might point them out.
    Max_Air29Erfisflat
    Premium Member
    @PowerPikachu So I see you're going to keep bringing up an edge over and over again.

"Also, you didn't answer my question about the sun and moon. How do the sun and moon move? According to the model, we see them hovering. Why are they hovering? Inside the dome, no less. I'm having trouble figuring out how this is possible in your model" That is an unverifiable question, but there a number of theories..

"You did say "But if it takes 27 days for the moon to orbit the Earth, how does it's shadow move to each side of the us in a matter of hours?" I'm not sure where you're going with this, though. What do you mean by shadow? I haven't heard of the moon casting a shadow, other than during eclipses and moon phases. Though thinking about it now, I have more questions. How do moon phases work in the Flat Earth? And how do eclipses happen?"

Moon phases.

Image result for solar eclipse 2017 picture

The reason there are eclipses is because there is an invisible body that blocks out the sun, aka Rahu.  

edited August 23 Premium Member
    @PowerPikachu21

"Though what would happen if one were to climb this wall? Would you see the edge? If we're in a giant dome, could I touch it if I scaled this wall somehow?"

There are two leading theories in the community

1.If you were to scale this hundreds feet high wall of ice, all you would likely see is a vast expanse of ice. Hundreds, maybe thousands of miles of increasingly cold expanse until you've reached another earth pond.

2. The same as 1, except you run into a dome.

Max_Air29namemcname

• If the geocentric model would be accurate, than the Earth may not be able to orbit the sun etc.
    Erfisflat
    Premium Member
    Max_Air29 said:
    If the geocentric model would be accurate, than the Earth may not be able to orbit the sun etc.
    Absolutely correct. The earth does not move, and nothing "orbits" it.
    walterbanamemcname

• The Earth orbits the Sun And the Moon which are in our solar system.
    Erfisflat
    Premium Member
    walterba said:
    The Earth orbits the Sun And the Moon which are in our solar system.
    What evidence do you have for this ridiculous claim.
    namemcname

Premium Member
    Max_Air29 said:
    If the geocentric model would be accurate, than the Earth may not be able to orbit the sun etc.

Yeah, the Earth orbits nothing. 
    feaWoodenWoodnamemcnameErfisflat
    edited August 23 Premium Member
    walterba said:
    The Earth orbits the Sun And the Moon which are in our solar system.
    And you know this because a bunch of people hundreds of years ago came up with this as a theory, only for it to be true because of magic? 
  • Erfisflat said:
    @PowerPikachu21

"Though what would happen if one were to climb this wall? Would you see the edge? If we're in a giant dome, could I touch it if I scaled this wall somehow?"

There are two leading theories in the community

1.If you were to scale this hundreds feet high wall of ice, all you would likely see is a vast expanse of ice. Hundreds, maybe thousands of miles of increasingly cold expanse until you've reached another earth pond.

2. The same as 1, except you run into a dome.

Amazing that someone would consider this proof.

Does anyone remember the timecube website?
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
    Premium Member
    feaWoodenWoodnamemcnameErfisflatm_abusteit
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 214 Pts
    edited September 5
    According to physics, why would he have landed thousands of miles away?

As we stand on the earth, we spin with it. When you jump or enter a hot air balloon, that momentum doesn't magically disappear.There is no reason to expect it to.

PowerPikachu21ErfisflatfeaWoodenWoodnamemcnameSilverishGoldNova
  • What's interesting to me is that you propose theories, yet expect people to take your word as truth. I think it's time to compare the Round Earth model with what I've learned so far.

Day/Night:

According to the Flat Earth model, the sun and moon hover over the earth, and presumably go around in a circle. How they hover and move? Not sure.

Now, according to the Round Earth model, the sun is stationary while the Earth revolves around the sun, the moon revolves around Earth. Day and night happen because of the Earth's rotation. Why Earth is rotating is likely momentum from its creation, from various rocks combining into Earth. I say 'likely' because time travel isn't possible so we can't go check. The best science (you as well) can do is find the most probable answer.

Eclipses:

An eclipse is basically when the moon directly blocks light coming from the sun. The Round Earth model proposes the Earth being far from the Sun, the Moon being much closer. This allows for the Sun, Moon, and Earth to make a straight line, thus an eclipse.

Flat Earth seems to say Rahu is an invisible celestial body that blocks out the sun (at least from what I've gathered). Could you tell me a bit more about this? And how would you go about showing Rahu to exist?

An Edge:

The reason I've brought up the edge is that people who aren't familiar with the Flat Earth imagine the flat disk, therefore propose an edge. An edge is where a flat plane ends, like the edge of the face of a cube. On the Flat Earth Dome model, is there not an area where the Earth ends? Erfisflat did also bring up the idea that the whole Earth is surrounded by ice, and next to it is another Earth, though I'm questioning how one comes to this conclusion. Might as well ask even more questions: Has anyone attempted to scale the wall? What did they find?

Problem with Sources:

I think I'd better address this issue now. How do we know which sources show evidence or lies? Of course we'd use sources that agree with our position, but what makes them true? Round Earth would say they're from scientists who do research and did go to space. Flat Earth probably calls them liars. Then I'd ask why your sources are true. We can't appeal to authority without the other guy questioning them, so we're at an impasse. (Unless I'm overthinking this and I should research on websites.)

But Flat Earth is still plausible, just seems far fetched when I'm comparing it to what I've been told. What now?
    Premium Member
    SilverishGoldNovaPowerPikachu21

• @Erfisflat Your point being...? If I was being taught false information, tell me what I got wrong and what the correct solution is. (except I have a hard time accepting something I have many questions of, still unanswered)
    Erfisflat
  • Again, I'm willing to see the earth is flat, but that kind of thing doesn't happen instantly. I need to understand your arguments as true, not calling me an idiot. Even if I was an idiot, you have to show me the way.
    Erfisflat
    edited August 24 Premium Member
    What's interesting to me is that you propose theories, yet expect people to take your word as truth. I think it's time to compare the Round Earth model with what I've learned so far.

Day/Night:

According to the Flat Earth model, the sun and moon hover over the earth, and presumably go around in a circle. How they hover and move? Not sure.

Now, according to the Round Earth model, the sun is stationary while the Earth revolves around the sun, the moon revolves around Earth. Day and night happen because of the Earth's rotation. Why Earth is rotating is likely momentum from its creation, from various rocks combining into Earth. I say 'likely' because time travel isn't possible so we can't go check. The best science (you as well) can do is find the most probable answer.

Eclipses:

An eclipse is basically when the moon directly blocks light coming from the sun. The Round Earth model proposes the Earth being far from the Sun, the Moon being much closer. This allows for the Sun, Moon, and Earth to make a straight line, thus an eclipse.

Flat Earth seems to say Rahu is an invisible celestial body that blocks out the sun (at least from what I've gathered). Could you tell me a bit more about this? And how would you go about showing Rahu to exist?

An Edge:

The reason I've brought up the edge is that people who aren't familiar with the Flat Earth imagine the flat disk, therefore propose an edge. An edge is where a flat plane ends, like the edge of the face of a cube. On the Flat Earth Dome model, is there not an area where the Earth ends? Erfisflat did also bring up the idea that the whole Earth is surrounded by ice, and next to it is another Earth, though I'm questioning how one comes to this conclusion. Might as well ask even more questions: Has anyone attempted to scale the wall? What did they find?

Problem with Sources:

I think I'd better address this issue now. How do we know which sources show evidence or lies? Of course we'd use sources that agree with our position, but what makes them true? Round Earth would say they're from scientists who do research and did go to space. Flat Earth probably calls them liars. Then I'd ask why your sources are true. We can't appeal to authority without the other guy questioning them, so we're at an impasse. (Unless I'm overthinking this and I should research on websites.)

But Flat Earth is still plausible, just seems far fetched when I'm comparing it to what I've been told. What now?
    I already told you that the sun hovering above the Earth is an unverifiable question. But there are a number of good reasons I've heard. 

"Now, according to the Round Earth model, the sun is stationary while the Earth revolves around the sun, the moon revolves around Earth. Day and night happen because of the Earth's rotation. Why Earth is rotating is likely momentum from its creation, from various rocks combining into Earth. I say 'likely' because time travel isn't possible so we can't go check. The best science (you as well) can do is find the most probable answer."

The sun isn't stationary in the globe model. You, see in the globe model, we live on a ball spinning faster than sound blasting around the sun at 66,000 MPH, which intern spirals around the galaxy at 483,000 MPH, but we don't fly off because of gravity, a force so strong it keeps us from falling off, that can simulataniously be over powered by a balloon or tiny magnet. 

Are you asking for evidence that The Invisible Object, Rahu, whatever exists? 

Nobody has attempted to scale the wall. Unless, of course, you consider this scaling the wall.

To address sources, a video from a hot air balloon is probably more reliable than an organization than an $18 billion a year company that claims while they're able to send probes to Jupiter and out of the Solar System, and it was so easy to go to the moon 6 times more than 50 years, we are now simultaneously unable to leave low Earth orbit and get a full picture of Earth. It's either a composite or a CGI. Even then the moon landings, probes, and space shuttles have already been debunked. My question is why a company that makes that much money would have to fake images if the Earth was really a big ol ball
    edited September 10 Premium Member
    According to physics, why would he have landed thousands of miles away?

As we stand on the earth, we spin with it. When you jump or enter a hot air balloon, that momentum doesn't magically disappear.There is no reason to expect it to.

insert insults and fallacies here lulz
    Oh I get it, we spin with the Earth spinning faster than sound, blasting around the sun at 66,000 MPH, specifically round a sun that moves around the galaxy at 483,000 miles, despite not flying off because of "GRAVITUH", which can also be overpowered by a tiny magnet or balloon. not to mention not feeling it despite feeling and even measuring the slightest westward breeze. I gotchu, @AlwaysCorrect
  • @SilverishGoldNova I thought you said it was the Round Earthers who insult, not yourself.

"I already told you that the sun hovering above the Earth is an unverifiable question. But there are a number of good reasons I've heard."

What reasons?

"The sun isn't stationary in the globe model. You, see in the globe model, we live on a ball spinning faster than sound blasting around the sun at 66,000 MPH, which intern spirals around the galaxy at 483,000 MPH, but we don't fly off because of gravity, a force so strong it keeps us from falling off, that can simulataniously be over powered by a balloon or tiny magnet."

So the sun isn't stationary, then you talk about the Earth, Helium, and magnetism, which aren't the sun. So this brings me to more questions. How come I go down when I jump? How come Helium doesn't go down? What are magnets and how do they work?

Again, pardon my barrage of questions. I like trying to figure things out, especially if it seems complicated. (that means you have to teach me, even if I am an idiot)

Watching 1st video: Not an expert, so I'm not sure what that light would be. Though I'm a little surprised she was able to look at the sun, considering how intensely bright it is. Either that, or some jets are shooting my eyes or something, leaving an afterimage where my eyes saw the sun.

Watching 2nd video: No offense meant, but I question the validity of the video. We never saw the plane crash, and the yellow text with 3 exclamation points just makes it seem unprofessional. Vladimir Tarzisky also seems a bit suspicious, with research suggesting he's a conspirist, so probably already believes the Flat Earth. http://www.whale.to/b/terziski_h.html

"To address sources, a video from a hot air balloon is probably more reliable than an organization than an $18 billion a year company that claims while they're able to send probes to Jupiter and out of the Solar System, and it was so easy to go to the moon 6 times more than 50 years, we are now simultaneously unable to leave low Earth orbit and get a full picture of Earth. It's either a composite or a CGI. Even then the moon landings, probes, and space shuttles have already been debunked."

So... find a video about a hot air balloon touching the dome? Also, note that the Flat Earth basically states it's impossible to take a picture of the Earth with the dome and denial of there being a way into outer space.
    SilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
    Premium Member
    @SilverishGoldNova I thought you said it was the Round Earthers who insult, not yourself.

"I already told you that the sun hovering above the Earth is an unverifiable question. But there are a number of good reasons I've heard."

What reasons?

"The sun isn't stationary in the globe model. You, see in the globe model, we live on a ball spinning faster than sound blasting around the sun at 66,000 MPH, which intern spirals around the galaxy at 483,000 MPH, but we don't fly off because of gravity, a force so strong it keeps us from falling off, that can simulataniously be over powered by a balloon or tiny magnet."

So the sun isn't stationary, then you talk about the Earth, Helium, and magnetism, which aren't the sun. So this brings me to more questions. How come I go down when I jump? How come Helium doesn't go down? What are magnets and how do they work?

Again, pardon my barrage of questions. I like trying to figure things out, especially if it seems complicated. (that means you have to teach me, even if I am an idiot)

Watching 1st video: Not an expert, so I'm not sure what that light would be. Though I'm a little surprised she was able to look at the sun, considering how intensely bright it is. Either that, or some jets are shooting my eyes or something, leaving an afterimage where my eyes saw the sun.

Watching 2nd video: No offense meant, but I question the validity of the video. We never saw the plane crash, and the yellow text with 3 exclamation points just makes it seem unprofessional. Vladimir Tarzisky also seems a bit suspicious, with research suggesting he's a conspirist, so probably already believes the Flat Earth. http://www.whale.to/b/terziski_h.html

"To address sources, a video from a hot air balloon is probably more reliable than an organization than an $18 billion a year company that claims while they're able to send probes to Jupiter and out of the Solar System, and it was so easy to go to the moon 6 times more than 50 years, we are now simultaneously unable to leave low Earth orbit and get a full picture of Earth. It's either a composite or a CGI. Even then the moon landings, probes, and space shuttles have already been debunked."

So... find a video about a hot air balloon touching the dome? Also, note that the Flat Earth basically states it's impossible to take a picture of the Earth with the dome and denial of there being a way into outer space.

Ok first show me where I ever insulted someone in this debate. Whoever loses the bet has to say "I am lying" 400 times in an argument.

"So the sun isn't stationary, then you talk about the Earth, Helium, and magnetism, which aren't the sun. So this brings me to more questions. How come I go down when I jump? How come Helium doesn't go down? What are magnets and how do they work?"

The reason objects fall back to the Earth is because of density. For example drop a microphone, it falls because it is more dense than the air. At the same time if you drop a balloon, it rises because the helium is less dense than the air. 

What are magnets? So you need me to explain to you how magnets work. The north pole of one magnet attracts the south pole of a second magnet, while the north pole of one magnet the other magnet's north pole.

"Not an expert, so I'm not sure what that light would be. Though I'm a little surprised she was able to look at the sun, considering how intensely bright it is. Either that, or some jets are shooting my eyes or something, leaving an afterimage where my eyes saw the sun."

I doubt think she looked directly at the sun unprotected. 

Need some extra proof of a dome?

"
    So... find a video about a hot air balloon touching the dome"

I was talking more about this image from 121,000 feet.

Premium Member
    Coveny said:
    @Erfisflat Can you stop tagging coveny in debates?

@Coveny You used a lot of insults and you didn't address my arguments, It seemed pretty likely you were either trolling or desperate. But now it seems you have decided to stop with that, and use real arguments. With that in mind, well I'm not sure if I can consider your statement an argument. You simply listed and depicted several flat Earth arguments humorously and called them problems with the theory. 
    I stated my arguments in the beginning, and got insulted and ridiculed, you jumped in the middle of me responding to those insults and ridicule. As I've stated before, you pick debate or smack talk. I'm fine with either.

The point outline problems with the flat earth model that haven't been addressed, so they aren't arguments per say I guess.
    I mean, I wasn't really planning on debating nor smack talking it here because you only posted because Erfisflat tagged you
    I was only apologizing for using is head, forgot that he does nothing but derail the conversations of adults.
    SilverishGoldNovaPowerPikachu21namemcname

Premium Member
    @PowerPikachu21

"Why should I be a flat earther?"

Nobody Is asking you to believe us. That's not why I am here. We're presenting evidence and clearing the taboo associated with FET. As always, fact check, and make up your own mind. 
    namemcname

Premium Member
    I guess I'm done here. Going back my my land where the Sun and Moon are ruled by a lion and a bat, and this nebula thing won't get in the bag.
    PS: Looks like Coveny told you how the sun hovers before we did. 
    feaWoodenWoodnamemcname
  • Erfisflat said:
    If you are in a plane travelling hundreds of miles an hour and you light a cigarette, does the smoke from your cigarette suddenly speed to the back of the cabin? No, because you, the plane and the air inside the plane (including the smoke) all have the same momentum in the same direction. Similarly when the earth spins the  earth, the people on it and the atmosphere are also spinning.

We wouldn't expect the smokestack to be effected by the earth's rotation in the way you suggest based on a normal understanding of physics. This is not you finding some glaring error in the normal model of how the world works, it's you displaying your ignorance of what you're trying to disprove. Why should we possibly believe any of your claims when any proof you offer just shows you are ignorant of the topic under discussion?
    CovenyPowerPikachu21namemcnameTransgendersAreGay
  • We are all told from the moment we enter a classroom the Earth is a ball in space spinning faster than sound blasting around the sun. However so far, the only proof for the globe I have seen is contradictory pseudoscience. The globe started out as a theory thousands of years ago, that became accepted because of claims that were later (aka today) shown to actually be proof of a flat world, and now people are willing to defend it because "Muh NASA photos". Some globe Earthers have even gone as far as to say we live on an egg or pear shaped Earth, citing Neil deGrasse Tyson saying so as their proof. 

A flat Earth, started out as a theory thousands of years ago.
    Hundreds of years ago after thorough scientific appraisal, the flat Earth theory was proved to be incorrect.

Let's not forget, These events all occurred, before the foundation Of the U.S.A. and N.A.S.A.
    Nonetheless, N.A.S.A. aren't the only ones who own a camera.

Furthermore. What exactly is contradictory pseudoscience? Other than dramatic rhetoric.
    Dramatic rhetoric is generally used as a persuasive tool, when attempting to ignore sound evidence and proof, or attempting to cover up a lack of sound evidence and proof.

namemcname
  • CovenyCoveny 374 Pts
    Erfisflat said:
    Coveny said:

@Coveny You used a lot of insults and you didn't address my arguments, It seemed pretty likely you were either trolling or desperate. But now it seems you have decided to stop with that, and use real arguments. With that in mind, well I'm not sure if I can consider your statement an argument. You simply listed and depicted several flat Earth arguments humorously and called them problems with the theory. 
    I stated my arguments in the beginning, and got insulted and ridiculed, you jumped in the middle of me responding to those insults and ridicule. As I've stated before, you pick debate or smack talk. I'm fine with either.

The point outline problems with the flat earth model that haven't been addressed, so they aren't arguments per say I guess.
    I mean, I wasn't really planning on debating nor smack talking it here because you only posted because Erfisflat tagged you
    I was only apologizing for using is head, forgot that he does nothing but derail the conversations of adults.
    Look at that an apology with a backhanded insult. It makes the apology feel so sincere...
    PowerPikachu21SilverishGoldNovanamemcnameErfisflat
    Premium Member

@alwayscorrect
    "Similarly when the earth spins the  earth, the people on it and the atmosphere are also spinning."

One of the most asinine of arguments, an airplane has a solid enclosure. Saying that atmosphere, or the air itself, is a solid enclosure around a ball earth is nonsense and pseudoscience.

"Why should we possibly believe any of your claims when any proof you offer just shows you are ignorant of the topic under discussion?"

I did learn about physics and the heliocentric model, I graduated school just like most. My position is that the claims are nonsensical and demonstrably false on any reproducible scale. Which means it is pseudoscience. 
    PowerPikachu21namemcname

edited August 24 Premium Member
    @Fredsnephew

Actually, everyone agreed that the Earth was flat. It wasn't simply a theory then. 

Then, some guy in Greece said "Ey loook, the boats over the Horizon. "

Which has been debunked. But people are still clinging onto the globe like their child, because NASA photos. Yes, we know, NASA was founded in the 1950's

Which have also been debunked.

Also, there was never ANY proof for heliocentrism,
    Premium Member
    Coveny said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Coveny said:

Look at that an apology with a backhanded insult. It makes the apology feel so sincere...
    i was stating a fact about your asinine arguments. I hope you don't cry about it.
    PowerPikachu21

• @Erfisflat

"One of the most asinine of arguments, an airplane has a solid enclosure. Saying that atmosphere, or the air itself, is a solid enclosure around a ball earth is nonsense and pseudoscience."

No-one is saying that, so either you do not understand or are you concocting a strawman.

The inside of an airplane is an example of a single system where all the elements - including the people, the atmosphere and particles in the atmosphere share a common trend of momentum regardless of their individual differences (e.g. someone walking down an aisle vs someone sitting in a seat).

The earth and it's atmosphere is an example of a single system where all the elements - including the people, the atmosphere and the particles in the atmosphere share a common trend of momentum regardless of their individual differences (e.g. someone walking down the street vs someone sitting in a chair at home).

For the purposes of highlighting your ignorance, how a single system with a common momentum is generated does not matter. What matters is how we know matter reacts in such a situation.

One of the single most fundamental and constantly proven laws of physics is Newton's first law, that objects will retain their momentum (or lack thereof) unless a force is exerted on them. The smokestack and all the materials in it are rotating with the earth. As it rises, the smoke will still have that force. Apparently you think that momentum will magically disappear. Your claim contravenes the most basic understanding of how physics works and is due to your ignorance of the subject matter.

"I did learn about physics and the heliocentric model, I graduated school just like most. My position is that the claims are nonsensical and demonstrably false on any reproducible scale. Which means it is pseudoscience. "

I neither asked for whether you learned physics in school nor for you to make unsupported claims.

Conventional science has provided us with an understanding of how the physical world works. If you think your picture has some meaning, quote a reputable scientific reference which explains how the smoke should come out sideways and blow horizontally at a thousand miles an hour or whatever ridiculous thing you're trying to suggest. You won't be able to because what science predicts will happen is exactly what's shown in that photo. Thank you for helping support the standard model of physics which understands the earth is a globe.
    PowerPikachu21TransgendersAreGay
    Premium Member
    @AlwaysCorrect

"...constantly proven laws of physics is Newton's first law, that objects will retain their momentum (or lack thereof) unless a force is exerted on them. The smokestack and all the materials in it are rotating with the earth. As it rises, the smoke will still have that force. Apparently you think that momentum will magically disappear. Your claim contravenes the most basic understanding of how physics works and is due to your ignorance of the subject matter."

You do love to say I'm ignorant don't you...

The smoke leaves the train (that is in motion) and does not follow the train along it's path, so why should the motion of the earth be an exception?

namemcname

Premium Member
    CovenyfeaWoodenWoodnamemcnameErfisflat
    Premium Member
    BECAUSE GRAVITUH - dis don happen on erth because gravituh
    Premium Member
    "You're an idiot if you dont understand the magical Velcro atmosphere of the earth."
    SilverishGoldNovaPowerPikachu21WoodenWoodnamemcname

• PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 169 Pts
    edited August 25
    If we can't take a photo of the entire Earth, then we'd need other ways to definitively prove the Flat Earth. Two ways of doing so is finding where the Earth stops (it's ludicrous to deny there's an edge, whether it's a dome or an ice wall.), or going 1 direction until you come back to your starting point (might find an edge in the process). Making Round Earthers seem dumb using memes doesn't count as evidence (possibly inferring a lack of evidence from you).

I'll stick around until this has a page 4. If you don't show me a video of someone going to the edge, or anything that definitely proves a Flat Earth, I won't join you and I'll leave you alone.

[Also, I think the smoke from the train does move a bit, but the fact that it's so light and possibly air friction makes it unable to keep its forward momentum for long. And inertia/momentum does exist, as well as air friction, as it's what makes a ball slow down when rolling forward. Keep in mind air isn't very sturdy or dense so it won't act like a wall.]
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNovaCoveny