frame

Do you think the electoral college is fair?

Opening Argument

After Clintons loss many people don't think so. I think it is fair.
melef
Is it fair?
  1. Is it fair?

16 votes
    1. No
      68.75%
    2. Yes
      31.25%

Arguments

• edited December 5
    It's just another way that big brother furthers their puppeteering system. 
    DrCereal

• I mean there are many problems with it, why don't we just put up posts and count each vote individually using scantrons? 

• Due to the way the system works, votes in places like Wyoming have around X3 more effect than votes in places like New York. A geographical pot luck on how influential your vote is smacks of unfairness.

I also think it's generally poor for other reasons, but those are less to do with fairness.
  • I don't particularly care about how much the country supports the leader with such small details concerning a million. I just find it ridiculous that our country can become an oligarchy if somebody has money and a lot of time.
  • FascismFascism 230 Pts
    The electoral college doesn't consider everyone's voice equally. It's not fair. End of debate. 
    NonCredentiBaconToesPogue
  • Yes, for it prevents liberal States from imposing their immorality on the rest of us.
    DrCerealNopeFascismMedicPogueSilverishGoldNovaBaconToes
  • NopeNope 158 Pts
    ViceRegent That does not make a system fair.
  • We are a republic, not a democracy.  The electoral college was designed and implemented to thwart mob rule and ensure everyone was represented.  It is more important now than at any time in my lifetime.
  • CYDdharta said:
    We are a republic, not a democracy.  The electoral college was designed and implemented to thwart mob rule and ensure everyone was represented.  It is more important now than at any time in my lifetime.
    Why is it more important now?
  • DrCereal said:

Why is it more important now?
    Because we're more divided now.
  • I am thrilled that we are becoming more polarized.  Gone is the notion that tyranny-lite is acceptable. ]
    We must either be free or slaves.  There is no middle ground.
  • I would argue that the electoral college is fair because it balances out the numbers per state and gives a set number based on such. When the electoral college was founded, the electors could actually change their vote if they didn't agree with a canidate, even though they are supposed to represent the people. In the 2016 election, there were 6 dissentors in Republican and Democratic states who simply voted for different people. The Electoral College should definitely be reformed to stop bribing and trivial matters to sway the electors, but as it stands, the Electoral College keeps elections in realism, where popular vote can only go so far.
  • NopeNope 158 Pts
    WilliamSchulz I disagree. I think a system where less then 25% of votes can get someone in to office it not good. 1 out of 4 people can say go this president and the other 3 could go with a different president and the first could still win. And it has a focus on swing states.
    BaconToesPogue
  • The electoral college was not meant to be “fair”, whatever that is, but to ensure the big states did not ride roughshod over the small states.
    DrCerealPogueSilverishGoldNova
  • NopeNope 158 Pts
    ViceRegent Like I said not good system.
  • What amazes me is these people think their opinion has any value.
    BaconToesPogueSilverishGoldNovaMedic
  • NopeNope 158 Pts
    ViceRegent That amazes you. Interesting.
  • PoguePogue 89 Pts
    CYDdharta said:
    We are a republic, not a democracy.  
    A republic is a representative democracy.
    Republic- a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.
    Democracy- a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
    Representative Democracy- Representative democracy (also indirect democracy, representative republic or psephocracy) is a type of democracy founded on the principle of elected officials representing a group of people, as opposed to direct democracy.
    BaconToes
  • PoguePogue 89 Pts
    The electoral college was not meant to be “fair”, whatever that is, but to ensure the big states did not ride roughshod over the small states.
    But the 11 biggest states can still win the election on their own. So it doesn't do that
  • Pogue said:

A republic is a representative democracy.
    Republic- a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.
    Democracy- a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
    Representative Democracy- Representative democracy (also indirect democracy, representative republic or psephocracy) is a type of democracy founded on the principle of elected officials representing a group of people, as opposed to direct democracy.
    Correct, and the electoral college is the method used to represent the democracy.
  • PoguePogue 89 Pts
    @CYDdharta
    1. You said we are not a democracy so that entire thing I wrote was to prove you wrong on that. 
    2. The Electoral College does not fairly represent the will of the people and makes someone's vote in Montana more powerful than someone's vote living in Texas.

• Pogue said:
    @CYDdharta
    1. You said we are not a democracy so that entire thing I wrote was to prove you wrong on that. 
    2. The Electoral College does not fairly represent the will of the people and makes someone's vote in Montana more powerful than someone's vote living in Texas.
    1. We aren't a democracy, we are a constitutional republic if you want to be technical.
    2. As such, there is no obligation to represent each person equally in a presidential election.  The electoral college was established to represent every region of the country fairly, rather than allow the population centers to dictate all decisions of the federal government.  If people in Texas want to have a bigger impact in presidential election, they are free to move to Montana.
  • NopeNope 158 Pts
    CYDdharta If they all move to Montana their vote will still mater less.
  • Nope said:
    CYDdharta If they all move to Montana their vote will still mater less.
    They won't all move to Montana.  Not very many people care that much about the issue.  For the few that do move, their vote will count the same as any other Montanans.