frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Would anti-atheists go to heaven?

Debate Information

Occasionally, I see someone who takes God's teachings a bit too far. I respect theists, and I'm atheist, but you have to wonder if cramming god's teachings into an atheist mind is respected by god. Anti-atheists usually insult atheists and repeatedly call them helpless. I haven't encountered a specific example recently, but do you guys think anti-atheists would go to heaven, or is their loathing enough to deny heaven? [For the sake of this philosophical idea, we'll assume God and heaven exist.]
SilverishGoldNova
  1. Live Poll

Would an anti-atheist go to heaven?

8 votes
    1. Of course; God loves everyone. Everyone goes to heaven.
      25.00%
    2. Of course; the atheists need to see the truth. Any non-believer won't get heaven.
      25.00%
    3. No; they're being too rude to deserve heaven.
      37.50%
    4. Heaven's unreachable. No one can get in.
      12.50%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    I'm going to start researching this. But what I do know is you basically have to allow Jesus/God to forgive your sins and try to not sin again. I'm reading a WikiHow, and it says a lot of acknowledging Jesus, but then Step 12 points to a quote, "Love thy neighbor as thyself". Considering Wrath is one of the 7 deadly sins, I think this is good advice. Lashing out just because I don't believe in Christ disrespects me, and probably considered a sin. If you continue insulting atheists, I think even Jesus has a limit. It also says to not break the Ten Commandments. I'll research other, better sites to see if an anti-atheist would be forgiven.

Here's the WikiHow I found: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-to-Heaven-(Christianity)
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    PowerPikachu21 Depends on your religion.
    @Nope We're referring to Christianity, mainly. But I think even in other religions, you have to be nice to non-believers. Any god would have some limit on apologies that could be empty.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    PowerPikachu21 Thier are religions in which if you believe in go you go to heaven which sounds weird to me. Their are different types of Christians. Am not sure if it would actually make a different though.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    I meant god not go. : )
    @Nope There are a variety of theists; those who don't care about others' beliefs, those who would like others to see the light, and those who might go a little too far with their teachings. Except this debate is talking specifically about whether those who hate Atheists would go to heaven. Or whether heaven's reachable at all if you believe so.
    There's a gear to the right of a comment. Click it, then click 'edit', and you can fix typos.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    I think a fair god would remove the person's religious beliefs from the equation when making the decision, and would instead look at how they acted in life. If one person believes in god and wages bloody wars in its name, while the other does not believe in god and lives a peaceful charitable life, them whom should the god give preference when deciding which one to send to heaven? 

Religious people who assume that the god would choose the former person make me wonder why they follow a religion divining such a god in the first place.
    Polaris95
  • EtrnlVwEtrnlVw 32 Pts   -  
    Yeah it kind of defeats the purpose treating atheists or anyone for that matter poorly, unfairly or disrespectfully. Spirituality is for every individual soul and every soul is beautiful as well as an expression of the Creator. Theists should be wanting to bridge the gaps between atheists and theists with love and kindness and with good reasoning and arguments because the whole point is to help ignite the higher calling within the atheist so that they can begin their spiritual journey and actually connect with it and learn how to access it. Jesus was a great Master and example and its His command as well to love and there should be no exceptions to that period other than protecting yourself and even then one can still protect themselves without hating. So God's/spiritual teachings are for the benefit of the atheist just as much as any soul, they need it too.
    Creation is governed by sowing and reaping, Karma, cause and effect and so whatever we do to another or make them feel we will have to experience the same in return whether in this life or the next. This applies to everyone equally ….atheist, theist whoever since this is a universal law/principle. So while anyone can get into the heavens if they earn and deserve that experience on the other hand if they lived a life of judging others and conducting themselves poorly with any beings they may have to reincarnate back to earth or have a negative experience to face their actions. They can learn from their mistakes and have more chances as they conduct themselves better.
    To answer the question every soul theist or not has to learn to conduct themselves a certain way before entering the higher realms/heavens. There are many options for every soul in the created worlds from the negative to the positive experiences depending upon what the individual soul needs to learn and or wants. Every single soul is accountable for their actions, intentions, thoughts and they have consequences good or bad.
    John 17

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

• George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    It would not matter to me. The main factor in going to a "heaven" is being a good person and helping others. It may not matter if a Christian is anti-atheist, if they do much good, of course they would have to be accepted into a heaven.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles