frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Miscegenation is not a good practice.

Debate Information

I want someone to prove that miscegenation is a good practice because I do not believe it is.
northsouthkoreamelefEmeryPearson
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    Miscegenation is not a good practice. People should marry based on their race, religion, and ethnicity. This is due to possibly better offsprings, because of the similarities in race and the process. The laws which prohibit this should be removed due to their unnecessary use.
    melefEmeryPearsonBaconToesMajoMILSdlGMGVTheShaunGeorge_Horse

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MissDMeanorMissDMeanor 100 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    My argument is that miscegenation is not a good practice, it is also not a bad practice. it is a practice that we should not be caring about. Please elaborate on how miscegenation is not a good practice. The founding principle of the US is that you should not care about what I do behind closed doors, I should not care what you do behind closed doors. The government has no place messing with marriage of other people, neither do we. Should we promote miscegenation, no, should we be against it, no.
    George_HorsemelefEmeryPearson
  • ChangeMyViewChangeMyView 61 Pts   -  
    @George_Horse, until 1968 there were laws against it and since it was declared unconstitutional to have laws that would prohibit it.  
    I would say that we are all part of humans race and should be able to do this across races and religions. There are many more things in common across races than differences, and also it diversifies our gene pool that makes it more resilient.
    While I fully respect your opinion, I would say that you have the burden of proof on that one to demonstrate why it's not a good practice

EmeryPearson
  • melefmelef 69 Pts   -  
    Miscegenation is a good practice due to more diverse offsprings. The practice allows different types of offsprings due to the more diverse backgrounds and ethnicity of their parents.
    George_HorseEmeryPearson
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    @melef That is not convincing. 
    EmeryPearson
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    Miscegenation in small amounts is not bad. Those people have their rights to do so as well. But too much miscegenation destroys cultures. It doesn't cause diversity. It does the exact opposite. Too much miscegenation causes different races and cultures to cease to exist. This is already happening in many western countries. 

I'm not telling you to not do miscegenation. You have your right to do so. I'm just pointing out the bad effects caused by miscegenation. Nationalism can be a solution to this, since it forces immigrants to assimilate when going to other countries, while not taking away anyone's rights. 
    EmeryPearsonTheShaunGeorge_Horse
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -  
    This doesn't make much sense in the context of genetics. The further away from your own genetic group your pairing is for offspring, the less likely you are able to pass on the same detrimental haplotypes.

The more isolated or 'pure' a genetic group of humans are, the more likely they carry the same detrimental haplotypes. Miscegenation actually assists in stasticially lowering the these chances.
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    Interracial marriage would harm the children (if they choose to have one.)
    Identity is an important part of growth, and being mixed-race makes it difficult to identify with a particular race.
    It also harms culture, and continuous interracial marriage between minorities and majorities can cause cultures to fade or disappear completely.

Interracial marriage (once again assuming the fact that they would have children) can create a more diverse gene pool.
    Partners would learn to accept each other and break stereotypes that probably aren't true. It also ends some segregation between races. In reality, the reason why there aren't more interracial marriage is because of racial barriers.

But with all that said, love whoever you want. 
    i fart cows
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    And @George_Horse, I want to know why you think miscegenation is not good. You made a claim, now I want to see you support it.
    i fart cows
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    From the biological point of view, miscegenation has positive and negative effects, but the overall effect is pretty insignificant and depends much more on the individual biological traits, than on the racially-dominant traits (do not quote me on this, however).

From the social point of view, it depends on your personal views - but I personally do not see any problem with miscegenation. In fact, I am much more (on average) attracted to Asian women than to any other race-gender combination. While being a white man. Hence, in my case, not only miscegenation is not bad - it is even desirable! And you will find many people for whom it is also the case.
  • TheShaunTheShaun 52 Pts   -  
    The main point I see people using to claim mixing races is bad is culture. Mixing races does not destroy culture. It changes it. Culture is already constantly evolving anyway, regardless of whether races mix or not. If culture changing is an issue for you, then you will have to do something about inventors and scientists, because their discoveries are always causing our cultures to evolve.

On a side note: Preserving any culture in it's current form is fruitless. It will evolve no matter what. Also, the idea of preserving culture is naive. Doing something just because the people before you did it serves no practical purpose. It's essentially a big game of follow the leader.
    EmeryPearson
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    TheShaun said:
    The main point I see people using to claim mixing races is bad is culture. Mixing races does not destroy culture. It changes it. Culture is already constantly evolving anyway, regardless of whether races mix or not. If culture changing is an issue for you, then you will have to do something about inventors and scientists, because their discoveries are always causing our cultures to evolve.

On a side note: Preserving any culture in it's current form is fruitless. It will evolve no matter what. Also, the idea of preserving culture is naive. Doing something just because the people before you did it serves no practical purpose. It's essentially a big game of follow the leader.
    Another problem with this argument is that it implies that there is a direct connection between a race and a culture. While there is definitely some degree of correlation, ultimately, for example, American black and American white man are going (on average) to have much more in common, than American white and, say, Russian white man. Environment plays a much more significant role in how the personal culture of an adult is formed, than race - and the main reason there exists a correlation between a race and a culture is because races and environments, in turn, are somewhat correlated.

The bottom line is that race as a singular characteristic does not play a significant role culture-wise, so I do not think that opposing miscegenation in the name of preserving certain cultural aspects is logically sound.