frame

Is UBI good? The minimum to live above the poverty line.

Opening Argument

I think it is good (depending on implementation). If it is not taxed, poor people have money to spend so the GDP will rise. 

DrCereal
  1. Is UBI good? The minimum to live above the poverty line.

5 votes
    1. Yes
      20.00%
    2. No
      40.00%
    3. Maybe/IDK
      40.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

• How would the money to pay for such a program be acquired?
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • @DrCereal A shift in wealth. No inflation and helps with income inequality. 
  • Pogue said:
    @DrCereal A shift in wealth. No inflation and helps with income inequality. 
    Raised taxes? How do you shift the wealth?
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • I say yes.
    Though I admit my ignorance when it comes to economics, I feel like resources should be distributed equally between all who participate in society.
  • It would be completely unworkable in the US.  In order to even attempt it, the government would need to have tight controls on immigration, which we obviously do not have.
    DrCereal
  • CYDdharta said:
    It would be completely unworkable in the US.  In order to even attempt it, the government would need to have tight controls on immigration, which we obviously do not have.
    That's a pretty lackluster reason for it being "completely unworkable".
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • DrCereal said:
    Is it?  Think about it.  We can't (or won't) control immigration now, and theoretically illegals are not allowed to receive Social Security, welfare, etc.  What do you think would happen if we offered a free monthly paycheck to everyone who resided in the US?
  • DrCerealDrCereal 99 Pts
    edited December 2017
    CYDdharta said:
    DrCereal said:
    Is it?  Think about it.  We can't (or won't) control immigration now, and theoretically illegals are not allowed to receive Social Security, welfare, etc.  What do you think would happen if we offered a free monthly paycheck to everyone who resided in the US?
    Wouldn't that be easily amended by offering UBI to citizens only?
    Edril
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • DrCereal said:
    Wouldn't that be easily amended by offering UBI to citizens only?
    No, the government would need tight controls of the population to make such a system work.  Even if basic income was not provided to illegals, any children they had inside our borders would be US citizens and would receive a monthly paycheck as soon as they were born. 
  • CYDdharta said:
    No, the government would need tight controls of the population to make such a system work.
    For what reason?
    What do you think would happen if we offered a free monthly paycheck to everyone who resided in the US?

The more important question is: what do you think will happen? You clearly have something in mind.

... would receive a monthly paycheck as soon as they were born. 
    No one said that we should give UBI to someone immediately after they are born.
    Edril
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • edited December 2017
    DrCereal said:
    CYDdharta said:
    No, the government would need tight controls of the population to make such a system work.
    For what reason?

...because the economy would depend on it.  The system could never work if we have to provide a basic income not just to current citizens, but also to anyone who can make it inside our borders (at least without massive border controls) if not directly, then through their offspring.

No one said that we should give UBI to someone immediately after they are born.

You are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of basic income.  Watch the video in the OP and get back to me.

DrCereal
  • CYDdharta said:
    ...because the economy would depend on it.  The system could never work if we have to provide a basic income not just to current citizens, but also to anyone who can make it inside our borders (at least without massive border controls) if not directly, then through their offspring.
    Perhaps, but I fail to see how this makes the system "completely unworkable".
    You are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of basic income.  Watch the video in the OP.

I watched the video again, and I didn't hear him say you get an income immediately after birth. Even if the video did say that, I fail to understand why the specific system in the video should be the only one considered.

Besides this failure to recognize a specific statement in a video, what have I said that demonstrates that I'm "oviously unfamiliar"?

Bis das, si cito das.
  • DrCereal said:
    CYDdharta said:
    Perhaps, but I fail to see how this makes the system "completely unworkable".
    You are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of basic income.  Watch the video in the OP.

I watched the video again, and I didn't hear him say you get an income immediately after birth. Even if the video did say that, I fail to understand why the specific system in the video should be the only one considered.

Besides this failure to recognize a specific statement in a video, what have I said that demonstrates that I'm "oviously unfamiliar"?

Kindly explain who such a system could possibly work without shutting down the borders?