frame

Will Trump And Congress Pass Infrastructure Bill?

Opening Argument

Position: For
Do you belive that Trump and congress will pass the infrastructure bill that Trump wants? I believe that they will.
passedbillaarongagsrbillpassedyolostide
  1. ?

7 votes
    1. Yes
      85.71%
    2. No
      14.29%

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
56%
Likely
44%
Unlikely

Details +

Points For:

Points Against:

Votes: 4

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Opponent: passedbill

Rounds: 1

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Round 1

Voting

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    Yes, I believe that Trump and the Congress will be able to pass the infrastructure bill in 2018 or another year. 

It May be bipartisan legialadion which could get support from Republicans and Democrats in the House of Representatives and Senate.

The legislation could be about $1,000,000,000,000 and rebuild or invest in American infrastructure. 
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    No, Trump and congress wouldn’t be able to pass the infrastructure bill or legislation.

1) Very high-cost which the Democrats may be against due to increasing the deficit. Republicans could also be against this for that reason.

2) Would have to be bipartisan, not partisan due to 60 votes most likely being needed to pass the legislation.

3) The legislation may not be needed to due to good infrastucure currently.
  • Vote
    Persuasive Argument (For): 1 Points
    Evidence And Sources (For): 2 Points
    Conduct (For): 2 Points
    Spelling And Grammar (For): 0 Points
    Persuasive Argument (Against): 2 Points
    Evidence And Sources (Against): 2 Points
    Conduct (Against): 2 Points
    Spelling And Grammar (Against): 0 Points

Total Points (For): 5 Points

Total Points (Against): 6 Points

Explanation: Both sides did good job.  I award the extra point to passedbill since he used more points explaining his position.  

Neither side used used sources to backup the arguments, but both conducted themselves well and did well with grammar
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Vote
    someone234someone234 154 Pts
    edited December 2017
    Persuasive Argument (For): 0 Points
    Evidence And Sources (For): 0 Points
    Conduct (For): 1 Points
    Persuasive Argument (Against): 3 Points
    Evidence And Sources (Against): 0 Points
    Conduct (Against): 1 Points

Total Points (For): 1 Points

Total Points (Against): 4 Points

Explanation: Just too easy to vote on this, Passed Bill gives 3 actual points for literal 3 point vote and since NSK literally concedes he might be wrong by using terms like 'may' and 'could' when pushing a strong point he gets 0 points. The points passbill raises are not only worded in a very coherent manner but they are EXPLAINED TO RELATE BACK TO THE TOPIC and this is why I didn't give him a 2. He explains that Republicans are actually more against high cost bills than Democrats as their support-base prefer lower taxation than Democrats so the high cost of the legislation suggests that only the opposing party to the current Senate would pass it, if any. He then explains that what is a 'may' point raised by NSK is actually a definite outcome and that this makes it harder to pass than just a legislation that is based on the votes of a smaller group to pass which NSK lowkey implied it may also be. PB ends his arguments with an unsubstantiated claim but since his opposition had 0 for sources he didn't need to.

I never mark spelling and grammar because it goes against my ethics as I believe in an international website it's unfair on non-native English speakers to hold them up to the English standard of native English speakers.

Both had fine conduct so I give both a 1 for the sake of giving a point. Neither had evidence or sources so 0-0

I come to debate, I stay to troll,
    I leave to think, I return to brawl.
  • Vote
    Persuasive Argument (For): 0 Points
    Evidence And Sources (For): 0 Points
    Conduct (For): 0 Points
    Evidence And Sources (Against): 0 Points
    Conduct (Against): 0 Points

Total Points (For): 0 Points

Total Points (Against): 2 Points

Explanation: Keeping it simple. Pro's argument focused solely on what could be, rather than explaining why it would be. Sure, it's fine to say that such a bill could be bipartisan, but it's entirely unclear why it would be likely to pass, especially given the divisions between the two parties in status quo. Admittedly, Con doesn't mention partisan issues, but with a lack of warrants from Pro, there's not much reason to believe that a bill will pass - Pro just asserts that it will. The rest of Pro's argument just asserts the bounds of when it will happen and how much it will amount to, though neither of those support the resolution.

Meanwhile, Con stays focused on the question of whether or not it would happen. He points to a few plausible reasons why such a legislation would either not be pursued or would never make it through Congress. There is a distinct lack of support for all of these points, and the warrants are pretty threadbare, but Con doesn't need to do anything more than just assert that such legislation won't pass and provide even a single warrant. He does that, and that's sufficient to net him the debate.

I'm choosing not to award other points as I think both sides are pretty much tied in the other categories.
    agsr
  • Vote
    Persuasive Argument (For): 3 Points
    Evidence And Sources (For): 1 Points
    Conduct (For): 2 Points
    Spelling And Grammar (For): 2 Points
    Evidence And Sources (Against): 1 Points
    Conduct (Against): 2 Points
    Spelling And Grammar (Against): 2 Points

Total Points (For): 8 Points

Total Points (Against): 7 Points

Explanation: Great Debate! More persuasive arguments for the for side. More evidence and sources should be there for both sides.