frame

Time Travel to the Past is Possible

Opening Argument

Time Travel to the Past is Impossible

"Time travel into the past, which is what people usually mean by time travel, is a much more uncertain proposition. There are many solutions to Einstein's equations of General Relativity that allow a person to follow a timeline that would result in her (or him) encountering herself--or her grandmother--at an earlier time. The problem is deciding whether these solutions represent situations that could occur in the real universe, or whether they are mere mathematical oddities incompatible with known physics. No experiment or observation has ever indicated that time travel is occurring in our universe. Much work has been done by theoretical physicists in the past decade to try to determine whether, in a universe that is initially without time travel, one can build a time machine--in other words, if it is possible to manipulate matter and the geometry of space-time in such a way as to create new paths that circle back in time."           -ScientificAmerican.com

See these short sources:  

The fundamental question of this debate is, "Is it possible to time travel to the past in a "Back to the Future" type format?" That is, could you travel into the past and meet your parents before you were born? Could you travel back to the "Wild West"?, ect., ect.

Thoughts?
yolostide
  1. Time Travel to the Past is Possible

10 votes
    1. For the Motion
      20.00%
    2. Against the Motion
      80.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I do agree that time travel could be eventually possible, but I don't think that you could see your parents before they were born. I think that you could see their molecules or particles, but not them in their complete physical form. Then again, I am not experienced in this area, so that is just a theory.
  • There is no such thing as Time Travel, it is a illiterate fallacy.  :*
  • It may be possible, but could need more technological advancements and more research for science, technology, etc. to have time travelling.
    agsr
  • I think it's certainly unlikely, and I don't see how we can do it with current understanding of science and current technology.
    That said, I am not ready to rule it out forever.  It's likely that new twist on technology will develop down the road that will make it possible. 
    It may take hundreds or thousands of years to advance technology enough to do this.  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • agsr said:
    I think it's certainly unlikely, and I don't see how we can do it with current understanding of science and current technology.
    That said, I am not ready to rule it out forever.  It's likely that new twist on technology will develop down the road that will make it possible. 
    It may take hundreds or thousands of years to advance technology enough to do this.  
    I think time travel could be possible if one person manages to move at the speed of light or survives a black hole, but we would as previously said a lot of technological advances, like the formation of new elements that can withstand the vacuum or space or a faster traveling engine for space, so that we can explore more planets or at least get the funding for such research.
  • @WilliamSchulz, good point.  Black hole is one way of time travel, the other one could be some other way of finding to bend time space continuum.  Of course, if the hologram theory is true in some ways, than everything can be recorded and played back.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • agsr said:
    @WilliamSchulz, good point.  Black hole is one way of time travel, the other one could be some other way of finding to bend time space continuum.  Of course, if the hologram theory is true in some ways, than everything can be recorded and played back.
    Can you tell me what the hologram theory is?
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Looks interesting, I'm working my way down the line. What I would say so far is that I could understand an object being preserved in a black hole but certainly not as a hologram or computer programming. There has to be some God who didn't press copy / paste a bit too much. More scientifically, however, Coulombs Law states that "Matter can not be created or destroyed, opposites attract and like objects repel." Before wondering what happens if 2 black holes collide, this may hold the clue to why time travel could be possible. Because a black hole "destroys" objects, it simply turns the object into a particle or a molecule because mass / matter can't be created / destroyed. This means that if we were to travel time, we would be able to see the molecules of previous timelines, but only what had entered the black hole. Everything else is probably not a hologram and acts normally. Then again, Stephen Hawking probably knows way more than I do.
    agsr
  • NopeNope 174 Pts
    edited January 8
    MWilliamSchulzike
    Coulombs Law states that "Matter can not be created or destroyed". Matter is defined by something taking up space and having mass. Lets go to Einstein. E=MC^2. You are suggesting energy is matter. How can you be sure? We have yet to have an experiment prove positive that energy takes up space or has mass. We do however have experiments supporting E=MC^2. This is a statement that needs to be supported.
  • I think that being able to time travel to the past will eventually be possible. I think that in the early development stages you could see people in their molecular form but not real form but I think it will eventually be able to see an entire terrain and not just on a molecular level. However, I don't think anybody will be able to do it. I think this because if you go back in time and change something in history on total accident then that changes the whole course of history from the point that you went back to. If anybody watches The Flash you know that Barry created Flashpoint and that time period changed everything and nothing was the same. Also, if tons of people went back think about the chaos that would be happening because there would be tons of different timelines that have totally different viewpoints. 
  • What is time?

Time is a human construct. 
    Time is how we regard and quantify the duration of events.
    Time does not exist, it is intangible, without dimension.
    An event which occurred in the past cannot be revisited, as it ceased to exist at its moment of completion.
    brontoraptor
  • @xMathFanx

I could easily imagine it this way. Reality is a simulation, thus we are easily able to transport within the program to the recorded past.
    xMathFanx
  • @WilliamSchulz Your idea about seeing your parents before you were born, for instance, in the form of molecules and particles, is interesting. Can you explain more? Thanks!
  • Sure! However, it depends if they get sucked into the black hole :). As previously mentioned, we move in real time moving forward. However, the physics of a black hole are incomprehensible, so powerful that they can rip a hole through space, including time as well. Therefore, if I was to throw my mom into the black hole, the hole would trap all of her molecules infinity years after I threw her in because she remains trapped. Therefore, if I was to enter the black hole, I would find her, but not in her solid form, in the form of many broken up molecules. This isn't as cool time travel as I would like, but since I haven't looked into it too much, it is the only theorem I can wrap my head around! Perhaps using some advanced tech, we could recreate my mom's molecules into a solid person, after all, mass can't be created or destroyed according to the previously mentioned Coulombs Law.