Was all that stuff we learned at school worth it? - DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Website! The Best Online Debate Website!
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Was all that stuff we learned at school worth it?

Opening Argument

We all probably had the thought that "wait, I learned so many things I at school but there is literally nothing I learned at school that was useful." Do you guys think all that learning was necessary? I mean some things were useful like geometry and reading and writing but come one, I'm not going to do all the stuff I learned all the time.
  1. Was what we learned necessary?

6 votes
    1. Yas!
      83.33%
    2. Nah!
      16.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

• Some information is useful. Other information is not. 
  • Because when something is true and correct it must be hammered into the minds of defenseless children.

SilverishGoldNova
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

https://www.gofundme.com/mwmvf-is-the-earth-flat
  • edited February 10

If we're talking about BS like evolution, the big bang, and the spherical Earth theory, then no. @Erfisflat
    "I have left my Christian Religion, and realized what all Organized Religions have in common: "to replace our One and only Possible Creator God with their own version of god".- Evidence, on this website

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/08/200-proofs-earth-is-not-spinning-ball.html

If you are an adult, there is no reason for you to keep believing in things like Santa, The Easter Bunny, The Cleveland Browns, The Arizona Coyotes, The Big Bang, Evolution, or the Sphere Earth Theory
  • Is anything worth it?

We have the duration of our lives to fill with something.

• One of the main benefits of school is not actually what you learn, but it teaches you and gives you stamina how to learn.

It also gives you a general foundation for the future.  That said, I personally believe that our education system needs to get rewritten for the new reality. We don't need to waste so much time with in classroom lectures and have a much higher percentage of time spend on more targeted individualized elearning.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • MikeMike 80 Pts
    The basics in education are fundamental to the advancement of a civil society. However, there is a subtle cancer in public education today, one of political indoctrination.
    DrCerealCYDdharta
  • someone234someone234 179 Pts
    edited February 11
    If you got home schooled then probably not. I learned so much about human beings in school that I believe any other want student ends up extremely good at psychology purely due to the forced social interaction with bullies, narcissists and/or suicidal Emos as well as variants of the norm that you get in school.
    CYDdharta
    I come to debate, I stay to troll,
    I leave to think, I return to brawl.