should the wall be build to keep away immigrants? - DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Website! The Best Online Debate Website!
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Communities

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

should the wall be build to keep away immigrants?

Opening Argument

atomicgunneratomicgunner 2 Pts
edited January 2017 in Immigration
no, the wall should not be built. It is not right.
  1. What do you think?

23 votes
    1. Yes
      78.26%
    2. No
      21.74%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• We should build a wall. As Trump said illegal immigrants are pouring into the country for he southern border.
  • No, a wall should not be built. It is not based on what America was founded on.
  • It should be built. Also, Lakmsj_2029391, America may not have been founded on letting drug dealers into the US.
  • Yes, the wall should be built and Trump claim is will be.
  • The wall should be built.
  • The wall should be built. It is necessary to the border control and national security of the United States and its people's safety.
  • The wall should not be built.
  • The wall should not be built. It is an expensive project that may not be payed back form Mexico to the United States.
  • The wall should be built to increase national security and border control.
  • I think the wall is the right decision.  It is interesting to me that 75% agree on this poll.
  • Yes, a wall on the southern border is necessary and has been infnored or put away for too long.
  • So an undisclosed part of Trump's proposed $30bb defense supplement in the new budget will be to pay for the wall.  I would like to see ROI of that investment.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • @ale5 I would like to see an ROI on that investment as well, but first we would have to calculate the cost of slowing the flow of weapons and drugs across the border, and the reduction of rapes (80% of the women who cross into the US from Mexico are sexually assaulted on the way).
  • Yes, and many conservatives are now for this plan if Trump's.
  • Building a wall is a waste of resources that could be directed towards a more productive goal. Are you aware of the many tunnels drug dealers build through the border?  Did you see the tunnel el chapo built to break out of prison, it had traffic signals and lighting.  I was surprise it did not have a starbucks.  If we were in the 80's, the wall would have been a good investment, but not now.  This is an excuse to kick back money to the president's friends who own construction companies and will get very lucrative contracts.  A 30 foot wall is going to open a mexican market for 35 foot ladders. 
  • Yes, model67 brought a up a good point. There are many tunnels.
  • @model67 made a good point.  We can argue investment in a wall, but we need to see a plan to ensure as that the wall will be tunnel-proof. In the Palestinian- Israel border there is a similar concern re tunnels and I have not seen a good solution. I am open to the idea of the wall that actually works, but would want to understand the ROI as others mentioned, impact on social issues, and the tunnel-proofing assessment.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • That's an amazing point agsr and I completely agree.
  • The idea of building a wall is absurd.  It was a good solution for the Great Wall of China thousands years ago, when there was a physical safety issue.  But in 2017, really?Trump made bold promises that he will have Mexico pay for the wall, but now it looks like it is in his budget proposal. The tunnel situation is a valid concern that I don't see addressed by anyone.  Ultimately @model67 brings up an interesting point. Whose interests does Trump represent. He is a real estate guy with deep roots that can never be fully traced to the construction industry. Somehow a multi-billion wall construction project will end up with lots of cash either in his pocket or his buddies.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • Well, I have to politely disagree with whytrump. Although, he makes some good points, I can argue against them and for them in some or certain ways.
  • @agsr Is it imperative that the wall be tunnel-proof?  Granted, the more difficult it is to tunnel under and/or the more easy it is to detect tunneling efforts, the better.  But even if the wall can be successfully tunnel under, it will still serve a purpose.  It's much easier to cross an open field than dig a tunnel.  The number of illegals crossing will be severely limited, and much more easy to detect.  Seismic sensors can be installed as the wall is built to detect tunneling projects.  Even if the sensors are defeated, all of the people coming thru the tunnel will come out in the same area, giving ICE agents an area to target.
  • @CYDdharta, let's call tunnel-resistant instead of tunnel-proof. 
    Live Long and Prosper
  • The idea of building a wall is unacceptable. The costs are enormous, it has a controversial effect to what has been intended, and most illegal immigrants have illegal passports and fly by plane. If you want more info, go to this link 
  • I also agree with YYCdebater. Building a wall is a waster of money and simply unacceptable.
  • Great video @YYCDebater ;
    so weather it is "tunnel resistant", plane-resistant. Budget-resistant, it is just not a good Imvestment for American Tax Payers.  Of course it will be fantastic for construction and real estate industry that Trump represents and financially benefits from. 

WhyTrump - a good question