frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Valentines Day is too commercial, celebrate Love Festivus instead, based on Principles of Seinfield

Debate Information

Frankly, I am tired of commercial aspects of Valentine's Day. Whether you are married, dating, or single - it is just a pain with too much pressure. Dinners on Valentine's day always result in overpriced sub-par supercrowded service. Constant rush for gifts, and all for what? If success of your relationship depends on saying I love you on Valentine's Day, I think you may have bigger issues. I say, lets start a new more simplistic holiday founded on minimalist principles jokingly created by genius of Seinfeld Festivus. In a related debate 100% agreed that some people actually celebrate Festivus as a real holiday (full disclosure that I didnot actually meet anyone yet who does, but agree they exist).
Lets have DebateIslanders crowdesourcing creation of this holiday, and vouch to commit your significant other to celebrate it this year instead of the Valentine's Day. When someone asks you about Valentine's Day, you tell them "No"! We celebrate the "Love Festivus"! Over the next 5 days until Feb 10th, lets get all DebateIslanderers ideas on how to customize this holiday. Please send your interest in comments by replying to this poll. On Feb 11th, if there is sufficient interest then lets make it real and declare it as a Holiday. That will be really cool.
Here is draft of the holiday:
Day - Feb 14
Name - Love Festivus
Purpose - Celebrate True meaning of love and caring for someone, without commercial aspects of the Valentine's day holiday. Find genuine ways to express these feelings deliberatly avoiding spending money on anything you wouldn't spend otherwise
Draft rules version 1.0:
- going out for romantic dinner is not allowed, but ordering or cooking a romantic meal is ok.
- No gifts to be exchanged
- each partner must express their true and sincere feelings without greeting cards. Writing down meaningful thoughts on a piece of paper, creating a poem, song, etc is great.
- Posting the romantic gestures how you celebrated Love Festivus on your favorite social media site and Debate Island is probably a good idea.
- ensuring that the couple finds atleast 30 minutes to talk and honestly express their feelings to each other (no tv, etc) - just talk, a walk around the block is fine - remember simplicity.
- Festivus Pole : each couple will customize the holiday by finding a meaning to what Love Festivus Pole will be just for them . That will give a special meaning to the holiday for each couple.

1. Live Poll

Are you interested in helping to create and celebrate Love Festivus holiday?

5 votes
    1. Yes - both me and my spouse/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend are interested
      20.00%
    2. I am interested, but my spouse/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend is not
      80.00%
    3. Not interested
        0.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• lakks_19291lakks_19291 2 Pts   -  
    Interesting idea.
  • That is very interesting, although my family may not agree.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    Lakks_19291, and Laksj_sendield, maybe you should use your debating skills you perfected on this site to convience your family :)
    I also think that is a very creative and interesting idea. I will try to sell the idea to my wife and lets see what she says.
  • I think that's a good idea, my family might agree to it.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    Lalks_executive1029, that is great! It will be amazing if we actually crowdesource creation of an actual holiday that originated on this site on this debate, and take it viral. Thats very exciting!
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    It doesn't seem that so far we got enough votes on this to make it a super popular holiday. We still have a few days to go, let's see if we can make more progress. :)
    Live Long and Prosper
  • That's true agsr, good idea, although I wouldn't be interested as well as my spouse.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    I like this idea.  I wonder if I even can pull it off without getting consent from my spouse.  I will just follow these rules and see if she makes me sleep on the couch :)
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney