Debate Anything on DebateIsland.com!
frame
Howdy Debater!
Sign In Register

+ NEW DEBATE

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reddit Politics - Is Reddit Politics good for online debating?

agsragsr 75 Points

Reddit Politics

sub Reddit is arguably the highest volume site for discussing politics.  Reddit r/Politics site has over 8.3 million subscribers with over 8 thousand online users.

But does it make

Reddit Politics

the best place to discuss and debate politics?

Based on my experience, I will argue against it.
1) It is difficult to have a meaningful debate on

Reddit Politics

, as the sub discussions quickly take you away in many directions. It is not clear what the actual consensus is, as unlike DebateIsland there is no voting on actual options.
2) Chances are you will quickly get insulted and will have to deal with hate, vulgar language, or ignorance.  The reason we want to debate is not to get insulted, but for a civilized political discussion. I hope you have strong self esteem to survive ongoing personal attacks on Reddit Politics
3) Moderators and Reddit Politics spam filters ofter filter comments or postings based on complex rules. Some of the other Reddit Politics sub Reddits like Neutral Politics are much more civilized, but are so extremely moderated that a submission is like passing SATs.
4) From my experience Reddit Politics is decisively anti-Trump. I saw many posts and comments down voted just for expressing a supportive opinion towards anything positive for Trump actions. Similarly, silly anti-Trump comments got many upvotes on Reddit Politics.
aarong
  1. Reddit Politics - Is Reddit Politics good for online debating?7 votes
    1. Yes - Reddit Politics is a good place to debate Politics
      29%
    2. No - Reddit Politics is not a good place to debate politics
      71%

Comments

• joecavalryjoecavalry 37 Points
    No, DebateIsland.com is a much better website for online Debating. Reddit doesn't support polls and is really unorganized.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 12 Points
    Reddit Politics is a decent place to lurk to get a sense of some popular Politics topics.  However, I agree with @joecavalry  that it's not a good option for debating.  While the upvoting and down voting is a good mechanism for discussions, it will make your head spin to follow and is highly disorganized in terms of thought within each posting.  
    I think there is some great content hidden in many of their Reddit Politics posts, but it is often hidden and mixed with many uncivilized and poor-taste comments.
    I use Reddit Politics occasionally, but it can't compare with debating experience of DebateIsland.
  • islander507islander507 32 Points
    Reddit Politics is a good place to discuss, but mot debate.

Reddit Politics is a good place to lurk, but not for kids.

Reddit Politcs is a good place to see trending topics on internet as their volume is hugh. That said, many of the media outlets may offer a better experience on that.
  • love2debatelove2debate 37 Points
    Reddit Politics  is not a good forum for debating politics, and here is why.

Reddit Politics - Even the Harry Potter Reddit
    Harry Potter Reddit Decides to Ban Posts Relating to Politics - that was just too much for them to handle.
    thenerdybird  harry-potter-reddit-decides-to-ban-posts-relating-to-politics/

Reddit Politics, based on how you look at it, is either a glorified bulletin board or an overwhelming tree with discussion branches that take your mind in every possible direction.

While Reddit Politics have many subforums, all of them have nuances and special rules, it is really frustrating to debate politics there.  
    Either you will be attacked, censored, spammed, or will not get any meaningful political discussion.

There are some interesting reddit politics sub reddits that you may find useful, but none of them will give simplicity of "just works" that DebateIsland offers.

reddit politics -  /r/Politics is the sub Reddit for current and explicitly political U.S. news.

NeutralPolitics - A much more moderated reddit politics sub Reddit, but really strict for each comment
    Uspolitics - this politics sub reddit manually accepts each posting
    CatholicPolitics - this politics sub reddit is dedicated to Catholic politics
    r/WorldPolitics - pretty good sub-reddit for world politics, but has similar issues as reddit politics /politics

reddit politics puts too much restriction of what you can say, with a fear of being downvoted by other reddit politics users.

What reddit politics could use is some sort of voting summary integration so each post is forced to actually advocate a specific pre-stated opinion, like DebateIsland vote feature.

• love2debatelove2debate 37 Points
    Just to add a bit more flavor on the topic of Reddit politics, IMO

Reddit Neutral politics 

Is the best of the Reddit politics sub-reddits.
    reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/

reddit Neutral politics has very specific rules that result in a much higher quality of discussion. The sources in Reddit Neutral politics have to be very specific, the style and tone has to be just right, and in general Neutral politics Reddit just provides a better  content than its other politics cousins. You will likely not find cursing and other fowl language in that Reddit.
    at times I enjoy reading content on Reddit Neutral politics, to get more in depth opinion on certain topics.
    participating in debates though on Reddit Neutral politics is not too enjoyable for me. Since it is so highly moderated and the rules are so strict, you have to be so careful what to say in Reddit Neutral politics that even if you are lucky enough for the moderators not to kick you out, there is a fear of downvoting by other Reddit Neutral politics users.

so, DebateIsland is still my favorite and I still don't think that Reddit politics is a good place to debate, but if you feel compelled then I argue that Reddit Neutral politics is the lesser of all evils in the Reddit politics family.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/