frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Trump Mars

Debate Information

President Trump Signs Bill Authorizing NASA Funding and Mars Exploration

President Donald Trump signed a bill into law Tuesday that updates NASA's mission to add exploration of Mars and authorizes $19.5 billion in spending for the U.S. space agency for the current budget year.
http://time.com/4708394/donald-trump-nasa-mars-exploration-bill/

DebateIsland
  1. Live Poll

Good idea by Donald Trump to spend $19.5B for Mars funding ?

6 votes
    1. Yes - I support Trump Mars plan
      50.00%
    2. No - I don't support Trump Mars plan
      50.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    I question this plan from Trump to invest in Mars exploration.  $19.5B for Mars, $20B+ for the mexico border - how about allocating more budget toward more down to earth issues?

I don't see a clear path for recouping that Mars investment, especially with Jeff  Bezos and Elon Musk in private sector taking on the challenge at fraction of the cost. Nasa is no longer competitive for space exploration and we should place our bets on the private sector to get the job done.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    I think that investing in space exploration is a smart strategic bet.  
    https://www.cnet.com/news/trump-nasa-mars-mission-reauthorization-transition-bill/

Trump essentially is setting a goal of getting humans to Mars by 2033.

That is a lucrative opportunity, and both Bezos and Musk are salivating at a chance for dominating that Market. So now it will be Trump vs Bezos vs Musk for space exploration. With $19B budget this yeat, even with all NASA and government inefficiencies Trump is  giving a good shot of staying relevant in that market 15 years from now.

there are related debates on this topic.

Space race Bezos vs Musk
    http://www.debateisland.com/discussion/532/space-race-jeff-bezos-vs-elon-musk

Do you believe we will achieve Jeff Bezos dream of millions of people working and living in space

http://www.debateisland.com/discussion/531/do-you-believe-we-will-achieve-jeff-bezos-dream-of-millions-of-people-working-and-living-in-space
  • I didn't think it was realistic when Bezos declared a goal of having millions of people living in space in our life time.  Similarly I don't agree that we should spend $19.5B to give a dying NASA agency so much money when the market has not been proven and both Bezos and Musk will likely outsmart NASA anyway with exponential results.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    That might be a stretch, but is it possible that Trump is just trying to stick it to Jeff Bezos, retailing for all the anti-Trump actions (Washington Post, movie ads, immigration protest).  In his latest venture Jeff Bezos enters Space travel venture, and Trump counters that with a $19.5 billion dollar investment.  
    As we learned from Trump's tweets about Obama wiretapping tapping accusations, Trump is highly vendictive, so why not show Bezos who is the boss?
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @WhyTrump , as you said, that is a stretch, but I thought it was a very creative thought.
    I admire Trump's passion for driving change and making progress, but not sure if by betting on NASA he is betting on a right horse in the race.  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    Elon Musk doesn’t think Trump’s new NASA law will help SpaceX get to Mars

http://www.recode.net/2017/3/22/15023092/elon-musk-donald-trumps-nasa-law-spacex-space-mars

Elon Musk is apparently no fan of the new federal law that authorizes the country’s space program — and doesn’t think it’ll help SpaceX or other companies get to Mars any time soon.

I am not surprised with Elon's reaction.  Musk and Bezos just got a new heavily funded competitor - NASA.