Best Source for Debate Topics
Having good debate topics to choose from is important for a meaningful online debate. There are many sources for debate topics that will help you find what to debate. You can choose good debate topics either from political debates, economics, business, news, controversial issues, debate websites, movies, tv shows, or personal life.
What is the best source of debate topics for you?
There are a number of debate topics sources I found useful.
Debate Topics - Political debates
With so much attention in US politics, there are many good debate topics to chose from. President Trump and his administration has plenty selection of debate topics. For example, Healthcare bill, Tax reform, Russian connection accusations, there is no shortage of topics to debate there.
Specific government policies are also full of debate topics.
World politics is another good source of political debates. Middle East conflict, North Korea, Putin, Ukraine - still at a loss for debate topics? Any of these has many variation of good debate topics and can either be debated based on core issues, or latest developments.
A small sample
1. In the U.S. primary voting system, caucuses ought to be abolished.
2. The U.S. Presidential election cycle is significantly too long.
3. U.S. primary elections should be held simultaneously.
4. As a campaigner and candidate, Hillary Clinton is more lucky than skilled.
5. The Supreme Court found wrongly in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission.
6. In the United States, the absence of viable third parties is regrettable.
7. The U.S. should adopt a parliamentary form of government.
Debate Topics - News
Every newspaper article is a source of good debate topics. That's why many of the online newspapers have a comments section where people come to debate (or argue and troll).
There is controversy in every article that spans off a good debate or a controversial argument of some sort. Editorial sections of major newspapers are especially great sources of debate topics. Whenever an editor writes one of these editorial pieces, he essentially provokes their readership base.
Debate Topics - Controversial issues
There are timeless controversial issues that have been sources of debate topics for years, with many one-sided or complex opinions. Topics range from abortion, gun control, immigration, same sex couple rights, and etc.
ProCon.org has a great list of debate topics, with most popular debates on
6Drinking Age - Lower It?
7Social Networking - Good or Bad?
8Euthanasia & Assisted Suicide
Debate Topics - Debate Websites
Debate websites have sections for most popular debates, where you can get ideas for good debate topics. Some popular debate topics on DebateIsland include
gun control debate
will Trump increase American jobs
If you browse through idebate.org you will also find good examples.
Debate Topics - Personal Life
Often everyday activities are great sources for debate topics. Did something happen to you when you went to a store, pickup kids at school, a conflict with a colleague, a casual argument with your spouse? These may all be good debate topics.
Funny debate topics
There are many sources of funny debate topics, including
Open source list debate topics
As part of Open debate topic list, there is a compiled list of debate topics from Arts, Economics, to Sports and Public Policy.
Here are some examples for
history debate topics list
1. Had the Roman Empire won the Battle of Teutoburg Forest, its lifespan would likely have significantly increased.
2. Generally speaking, the U.S. began as a Christian nation.
3. The US ought to have dropped Atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
4. The US ought to have entered [WWI or WWII].
5. On balance, European conquest of Native American lands was justified.
6. On balance, European colonization was good for the colonized peoples.
arts and culture debate topics
1. In the context of the Odyssey, it is likely that a majority of Odysseus's story to the Phaeacians was a lie.
2. In Star Trek, Judge Advocate General Louvois's ruling that Lt. Cmdr. Data had "a right to choose," was wrong.
3. In Star Trek, Kaelon II’s custom of “resolution" is ethical.
4. On balance, the Force is more of an instrument than an end in itself.
5. To be art, something must have been created with artistic intent.
6. On balance, the Louvre Museum is better than the Uffizi Gallery
7. Literature originally written in a European language cannot qualify as African literature.
8. Pierce Brosnan was the best James Bond actor.
9. The Coen Brothers are better directors than Quentin Tarantino.
10. Everything is art.
11. In Journalism, it is better to prioritize impartiality over truthfulness when the two are in conflict.
12. That the modern-day fusion of journalism and entertainment is alarming.
economics debate topics
1. As a substitute for government regulation, workers should receive stronger collective bargaining rights and protections.
2. Estate and/or inheritance taxes ought not to be levied.
3. Supply-side economics is a better remedy for recession than Keynesian fiscal policy.
4. The US Congress should not raise the debt ceiling.
5. The Federal Reserve ought to raise interest rates.
6. Janet Yellen’s decision in December, 2015, to raise interest rates was in the best interests of the United States.
7. The USFG should increase unemployment benefits.
8. On balance, affluent countries ought to offer a universal basic income.
9. Universal healthcare is a wise economic investment for developed countries to make.
10. Countries ought to engage in free trade.
ethics debate topics
1. Adultery is nearly always immoral.
2. Collective Punishment is just.
3. For individuals in developed countries, recycling is a moral obligation.
4. The French government's ban on Burqas is morally permissible.
5. Black lives matter ought to be opposed on ethical grounds.
6. The fairness of the process is more important to justice than the fairness of the results.
7. Regarding criminal acts, justice can usually be obtained without the victim's forgiveness of the criminal.
8. First use of a nuclear weapon would be immoral.
9. An unjust law is no law at all.
10. That human cloning ought to be opposed on moral grounds.