frame

Trump asks why people are still talking about his taxes a day after protesters asked for his returns

Opening Argument

WhyTrumpWhyTrump 165 Pts
Trump asks why people are still talking about his taxes a day after protesters asked for his returns.
should he release the tax returns?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/16/after-a-day-of-marches-trump-asks-why-people-are-still-talking-about-his-taxes/?utm_term=.2d7f4086ec19
  1. Should Trump release his tax returns?

9 votes
    1. Yes
      55.56%
    2. No
      44.44%
WhyTrump - a good question

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• There are protesters around the country who demand transparency. If he has nothing to hide let him release it
  • Trump shouldn't have to release his confidential information.  Yes, he is wealthy and that's okay.  I am sure that he uses a tax harvesting strategy on his tax returns, and has special tax advisors that help him minimize his taxes - that is his right.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • How about starting with what we do know;

• Nice chart @CYDdharta ;
    that said, Trump is a billionaire and should be paying much much more in absolute terms than someone like Sanders.
  • @WhyTrump ; Why would you say that?  Sanders is still a millionaire who owns 3 homes.  What do you think the top rate should be and why?
  • @CYDdharta , I just re-looked at the chart.  Maybe I misinterpreted the chart and now I think that I understand it represents the tax rate of actual fed taxes paid in a given year.
    so I'd like to reask the question - it seems that the chart cherry picks years for each one, and that may misrepresent the story.  Just because someone paid a large or small percentage in a given year doesnt tell a full story of their tax payments.  Often that is tied to their specific tax deduction and loss writeoff strategy.
    if you have a more comprehensive data set that will be interesting to review.

please correct me if I am still missing the point of this chart.
  • @WhyTrump ; No, it doesn't cherry pick years, it just uses years that are available.  The information was culled primarily from the tax history project using their most current data.
  • Interesting project and data @CYDdharta.  
    I may want to see suporting reciepts for some of those cash deductions for trump and Bernie :)
    I am actually somewhat surprised that such information is available publically, and i am glad that the highly confidential info is grayed out.  

whether it's cherry picked or based on only data available, showing only percentages and not absolute $figures in the chart, for such a small sample of years is imho not a good statistically significant way to tell the story who payed the least/most.

by law, Presidents reserve the right of not sharing their tax returns, but most Presidents elected to be transparent.

Honestly though, after seeing the level of detail available online, I would also be a bit uneasy to have the World to see my returns.

that said, I still think Trump should still be transparent and release the returns to show god faith.

• No, who really cares.
  • @hureancultr , nicely and simply stated.
    agree with you.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • People are talking for a couple of reasons...
    1) they believe in the "cause."
    2) it's only been a day.