frame
Howdy Debater!
Sign In Register

+ NEW DEBATE

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latino is not a "Race", nor is "Hispanic" or "Mexican"

VaulkVaulk 14 Points
There's a massive amount of misinformation on the World Wide Web today concerning Race versus Ethnicity.  My post today aims to correct and inform the would-be ignorance toting Race Mongers.

1.  Latino: No matter where you search, any official definition or meaning of the word "Latino" will include the word "Ancestry" or "Origin".  From an intellectual standpoint this excludes the word "Latino" from describing any Race simply because a Human's Race cannot be determined by his place of birth.  There are White people born in Africa and Black people born in China.  Birthplace does not affect your Race...period.  From an official standpoint, "Latino" is definitively used to describe your ethnicity "Regardless" of your race ~U.S. Census Bureau~

2.  Hispanic: Again we're right back to "Ancestry" or "Origin".  Officially the word is used to again describe people who's origin is of one of several Countries and is completely and totally exclusive from Race.  ~U.S. Census Bureau~

3.  Mexican: Now we're getting somewhere...but then again we're stuck at a similar answer.  Being "Mexican" has nothing to do with your Race, if it did then anyone with citizenship in Mexico would qualify as one Race.  A "Mexican" is someone who holds citizenship in Mexico, Mexico is a geographical location on the Earth and therefor cannot be a Race. 

So unless someone suggests that all Latinos or all Hispanics or all Mexicans are one single Race...then we are left with accepting that none of these words aptly identify any Race at all.  If both my parents were born in Mexico and gave birth to me...I would in fact be Hispanic...even though my skin is white as snow.

I would suggest as an idea that people with dark or light brown skin who's lineage follows Hispanic or Latino ethnicity do not have a Racial identity unless you count the term "Mestizo".  I'll be honest when I say that I have never, ever heard anyone use that term to describe a Race of people but it is a legally and officially recognized term that aptly describes people of mixed-race who typically come from Central and South American Countries. 
  1. Latino AND Hispanic are terms that identify a Race of Human Beings8 votes
    1. No
      75%
    2. Yes
      25%
Comments
  • natbaronsnatbarons 22 Points
    That's a good point @Vaulk . I agree, because Mexican etc. are sunroofs of Latino. In general(m, they are not considered to be races.
  • They identify a race as said. Latino is at the top of tree while he there are sunroofs and another user said.
  • VaulkVaulk 14 Points

They identify a race as said. Latino is at the top of tree while he there are sunroofs and another user said.
    @johannarunel ; Is there any reason you think that these words identify a Race?
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 37 Points
    These words don't identify a race at all, I completely agree with @Vaulk .
  • inc4tinc4t 49 Points
    @Vaulk, another amazing debate.  Very comprehensive, logical, and I agree.
  • ale5ale5 34 Points
    @Vaulk, respectfully, I think that this debate is quite academic.  If technically Latino or Mexicans are not a "race" that is fine, and I agree with you that it is confusing as the line is a bit blurry.  But if we are trying to say they that discriminating against Latino's like in the other article about waiter discriminating against Latino women by asking for ID, that is still a strong form of racial profiling regardless of the technical nuances.
  • PinoPino 23 Points
    As I understand it the term Latino is to describe the citizens of those South American nations whose language is based on latin, i.e, Spanish,Portuguese and Italian. 
    Mexican denotes someone from Mexico.
    I can only guess that Hispanic refers to someone from a South American country which was settled by the Spanish. 
  • VaulkVaulk 14 Points
    ale5 said:
    @Vaulk, respectfully, I think that this debate is quite academic.  If technically Latino or Mexicans are not a "race" that is fine, and I agree with you that it is confusing as the line is a bit blurry.  But if we are trying to say they that discriminating against Latino's like in the other article about waiter discriminating against Latino women by asking for ID, that is still a strong form of racial profiling regardless of the technical nuances.
    I would have to ask "How does anyone know the ethnicity of the Women in the article"?  I lean back on my original point, that having an ethnic background has absolutely nothing to do with one's Race.  Likewise, being of a particular Race does not determine one's ethnicity so I then ask myself "How would one go about targeting a "Latino" person when attempting to Racially Profile someone"?  The answer I come up with is "It doesn't seem possible".  There's no way someone could guess your ethnicity being that your skin could be black as midnight and your ancestry could be traced back 10 generations and be all Chinese or some other Asian origin.  The point here is that while Racial profiling can include your ethnicity...there's no way to determine someone's ethnicity because your ethnicity is completely and totally unrelated to your Race. For example "She looks Latino" is an ignorant statement because "Latino" is an Ethnicity and has nothing to do with what you look like.  Ethnicity is about culture...not physical characteristics.

Ethnicity is the term for the culture of people in a given geographic region, including their language, heritage, religion and customs. To be a member of an ethnic group is to conform to some or all of those practices.  Race and ethnicity can obviously overlap, but they are distinct.