With the rising trend in the Media to bring Racism to the front lines of public awareness and interest, one must think critically and independently about why this is happening. To the average person it would be fairly obvious, "Racism wouldn't be so rampant in the news if Racism weren't an issue in our Country".
No one can argue that Racism doesn't exist in our Country, it always has and most likely always will so long as people have the freedom to be ignorant. The more pressing issue however, is the idea that somehow "Institutional Racism" is a huge problem. So let's define what Institutional Racism is before we tread further.
Institutional racism is distinguished from racial bigotry by the existence of institutional systemic
policies, practices and economic and political structures which place
minority racial and ethnic groups at a disadvantage in relation to an
institution's racial or ethnic majority. Source: NAACP.org
So let's all understand that:
1. Institutional Racism is not the same as Racial Bigotry.
2. Institutional Racism must include the existence of:
a. Institutional systemic policies.
c. Economic and political structures.
3. The inclusions from 2. must place minority racial and ethnic groups at a disadvantage.
4. The disadvantage placed by the inclusions of 2. must be on a minority group that is not of the institution's racial or ethnic majority in question.
I am obviously taking the position of Pro in this debate as I do not believe in the current existence of Institutional Racism in the United States.
The debate standards are as follows:
1. Logical Fallacies will not be accepted as argument.
2. Generalized statements are not allowed as arguments in this debate. General agreement or disagreement statements are acceptable but will not be used to support or counter the argument.
3. Due to the nature of the debate concerning systems and institutions, arguments must be case specific and must identify the system and instance.
4. Banter and general bickering will not be accepted as valid argument.
Is Institutional Racism A Problem In The U.S.?