frame
Howdy Debater!
Sign In Register

+ NEW DEBATE

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Islam compatible with modern day science? Like the theory of evolution.

LogicLogic 153 Points
statesjoderon_17spandammelef
  1. Is islam compatible with evolution?12 votes
    1. Yes.
      50.00%
    2. No.
      50.00%

Comments

• No, they are caught in the past with their radical Islamic beliefs. That capfuls also be a reason some terrorist groups form. Although, it's seems like they are well aware of modern weapons.
    spandam
  • LogicLogic 153 Points
    @statesjoderon_17 Islam doesn't have radical beliefs.  
    https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/280633-if-you-re-not-careful-the-newspapers-will-have-you-hating   It's just as this man said, huh?
    The word 'Islam'  Derives from the Arabic word 'Salam'  Salam means peace.  Just because 0.01% of islam, Kill innocent people [Which is forbidden ]   https://www.juancole.com/2013/04/islamic-forbids-terrorism.html
    So how are they a part of islam?
    spandam
  • spandamspandam 38 Points
    I agree with @logic , Islam doesn't have radical beliefs.
    melanielust
  • AveMariaAveMaria 35 Points
    I am no expert on Islam, but from what I can tell, there are some Islamic theories supporting the idea that God (Allah, in this case) created evolution.  So yes, I will assume that Islam is compatible with evolution.  I hold my religion (Catholicism) to be true and I agree with the ideas of the Big Bang and evolution, and Christianity and Islam do have similar roots, so perhaps Islam is compatible with evolution like I believe Christianity is.  However, I do know for a fact that Islam's current state is not compatible with Western civilization.  Islam needs a reformation before it tears itself and all associated with it apart.
    aarong
  • LogicLogic 153 Points
    @AveMaria  Many people have misunderstood sharia law with the hanbali madhab.  There is a big difference.  The muslims who want to establish sharia law in the west are 99% Hanbali, While those who don't are Hanafi [like me]  Sharia law [Hanafi style]  is compatible.The people need a reformation no the religion. But since america already has a set of laws, there is no use for new ones. 
  • VaulkVaulk 111 Points
    No religion concerning a "Higher Power" is compatible with Science.  Science is the study of the physical and natural world and the "Higher Power" in religion is not only excluded from the physical and natural world but is not subject to it.  The term "Supernatural" is the proper classification for this "Higher power" and supernatural by definition excludes scientific explanation and understanding.

Religion in theory could explain the physical and natural world but Science cannot be used to study the supernatural and is therefor incompatible.
    melef
  • melefmelef 12 Points
    @vaulk, religion tells us how the universe was made. Scintists are trying to find another explanation which is not there. Government and science should be based of religion.
  • VaulkVaulk 111 Points
    @melef

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    randal
  • LogicLogic 153 Points
    @Vaulk  Science can tell us HOW the universe was created, But it will never tell us WHY.  Do you believe in a multiverse? 
  • VaulkVaulk 111 Points
    @Logic,

I know that science can speculate as to "How" the universe was created.  But it cannot give any explanation that will defeat reasonable doubt.  There was another debate on this but essentially the cliff notes are:

1. The Scientific Method cannot be applied to the Theory of how the Universe came to be because you cannot observe, test or experiment to replicate the instance.
    2. The theories surrounding the origins of the universe are some of the most consistently changing scientific theories to date...from one year to the next there's no telling what the official story might be.

I don't happen to believe in the existence of a multiverse but I don't doubt the validity of the theory itself.  What we do actually know to be fact in Science is relatively puny, and dwarfed by what we do not know.  Even our Scientific Laws lack solidity and are subject to change.
    Logic
  • LogicLogic 153 Points
    You see, Science has failed time and again. Believing a god, No matter which one it may be, Doesn't really hurt.  It actually crawls back to a win:win situation .
    Let's say God exists and you believe in a religion:
    You get heaven +
    Now let's God doesn't exist and you believe in a religion:
    You probably won't be aware to even care. +
    Let's say God does exist and you don't believe in a religion:
    Hell -
    Let's say God doesn't exist and you don't believe in a religion:
    You still won't be aware to care. +
    Even Richard Dawkins himself said it, We might see a signature of some sort in our DNA from a higher intelligence.