frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

De Blasio: It’s ‘Distressing’ ICE Is Arresting ‘Law-Abiding’ Illegal Immigrants

Debate Information

NY city mayor, De Blasio, made seemingly contradicting comment.

De Blasio: It’s ‘Distressing’ ICE Is Arresting ‘Law-Abiding’ Illegal Immigrants

melefbillpassedkmelkevolution17love2debate
  1. Live Poll

What do you think?

11 votes
    1. De Blasio is right - they are law obiding
      54.55%
    2. De Blasio is contradicting himself - they are illegal, so how can they be law obiding?
      45.45%
WhyTrump - a good question

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    This is an oxymoron, a "Law-abiding Illegal Immigrant" is another way of saying "Law-abiding trespasser".  This makes no sense.
    love2debateinc4t
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk, my thoughts exactly.  Law obiding criminals? What?
    if we don't count crossing and staying in the country illegally, and if tax evasion is not a crime then sure.
    inc4t
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    I was never impressed with De Blasio. He doesnt make any sense on many issues, especially this one.  It is definitely an oxymoron.
    therep
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Clearly he meant that other than being illegal. Point is that we know we have a preexisting issue with undocumented workers, but that doesn't give us a right to treat them like cattle.  It would have been fair to turn them around when they first came in, or if they committed subsequent crime.  20 years later, we cannot just turn things around overnight. They are people.
    therep
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • thereptherep 61 Pts   -  
    I agree with @inc4t and @ale5 .
  • model67model67 54 Pts   -  
    I agree with the assessment that a person who is in the country illegal has broken the law.  The question is who is responsible for enforcing immigration laws and if we as a society choose to task police with this responsibility what are the impact to law enforcement of that decision.  How are we going to pay to keep illegals in local jails until they are transferred to ICE?   Are communities of immigrants going to distance themselves even more from police? What are we doing with the children of immigrants that are deported?  How are we funding that operation?
    I can understand the argument of illegal workers and their effect on the economy.  My concern is tasking police with immigration duties and massive deportations are all good head liners, but I have not seen a comprehensive treatment of this problem that accounts for the impact on affected communities and how we are dealing with american children once their parents are deported.
    I think there should be a path to becoming a legal citizens for those who can take advantage of it.  It should include paying higher taxes for a period of time to fund the hidden costs of dealing with illegal immigration.
    melefWhyTrumpbillpassedagsrlove2debateale5
  • melefmelef 69 Pts   -  
    I agree with @model67 . Illegal Immigrants are breaking the law and taking money from legal immigrants and citizens in this country. Although, legal immigrants are and should be welcome in this country.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @model67, made good points.  Path to citizenship, comprehensive plan for how to deport and deal with children, etc.
    we cannot do these adhoc actions without a full plan.
    billpassed
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    I agree with @model67 .
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @model67 made a valid argument, but the truth is that a comprehensive plan like that will also lead towards continued paralyzed indecisiveness and inaction.  Making initial progress towards deportations of those with criminal records is a valid approach.  I would completely agree that a more comprehensive plan is waaranted and in some cases I am supportive of path to citizenship as well.  I am just not supportive of inaction on this topic until a perfect solution is in place.
    kmelkevolution17love2debate
    Live Long and Prosper
  • kmelkevolution17kmelkevolution17 95 Pts   -  
    I agree with @agsr .
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @model67 expressed the argument really well on this point.  It expressed the need of humanity and a thoughtful approach instead of tactical.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney