frame

Is It O.K. to Refuse to Serve Same-Sex Couples Based on Religious Beliefs?

Opening Argument

natbarons
  1. What do you think?

7 votes
    1. Yes - freedom of religion/services are not a human right
      71.43%
    2. No - leaves potential for misinterpretation of the constitution/homophobia must be stopped
      28.57%

Arguments

• natbaronsnatbarons 68 Pts
    Yes, if they have the right to be married then people should have the right to not serve them.
    melanielust
  • It's fair not to serve them for religious belief, but it's a thin line between that and discrimination 
    melanielust
  • The way I see discrimination in businesses is this - In today's world, I find it hard to believe that businesses, especially in a capitalist economy like America, would turn someone away because of some belief.  I personally wouldn't throw away money just cause I did or did not like someone's lifestyle.  Businesses also have the right to refuse you service, even though that's normally reserved for rowdy customers or people not fitting a dress code.  I'm religious, but I'm fine with gay couples, and so I wouldn't have turned them away.  However, maybe it made the owners of the restaurant uncomfortable, so I don't think it's right to force someone to do something they aren't comfortable with.  In ending, it's my belief that market forces, namely demand, boycotts, etc, will drive a business to be more inclusive for more profit, and if not, then you wouldn't have truly enjoyed your experience at said business, so why bother getting mad that they wouldn't serve you?  Go somewhere else where you'll enjoy the time and money spent.  There are plenty of places to go.
  • Of course.  The first amendment backs it up.  Now myself, it would depend on the business being served.  I would never cater a gay/lesbian marriage and probably wouldn't make a cake for one, but just flat out refusing service at a restaurant isn't right.  I don't agree with them, but it is their choice.  Just don't make me be a part of it.