frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Evolution?

1235»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -  
    Yes there is. Lbs is a measure of force, not weight, and force can still be exerted in space. Weight refers to the force of gravity, which isn't supposed to  be present in space. Other forces however would still be potentially present. So a 10 lb force would exist, however weight in any form would not.
    You're right...I got mixed up.  I forgot about the slugs.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Evolution simply means the gradual development of something.
    It is not only relative to organic development.
    Things started to evolve right from the very beginning, when ever that was.
    I regard evolution as the gradual development of matter.
    The "organic" is no longer at the cutting edge of evolution. Artificial intelligence and it's associated technologies are now at the cutting edge.
    We maybe the architects of this new phase of evolution.
    But will we be the architects of our own downfall?
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    Evolution simply means the gradual development of something.
    It is not only relative to organic development.
    Things started to evolve right from the very beginning, when ever that was.
    I regard evolution as the gradual development of matter.
    The "organic" is no longer at the cutting edge of evolution. Artificial intelligence and it's associated technologies are now at the cutting edge.
    We maybe the architects of this new phase of evolution.
    But will we be the architects of our own downfall?

So what exactly are you saying, that evolution has stopped and now "I.D." (Intelligent Design) must take over? Lol.

@Fredsnephew - We maybe the architects of this new phase of evolution.

What do you mean: "we may be, .." ? You were the architects of the 'old' phase of evolution, nothing changed, only the b.s. got deeper.

Just look at this video;

now I would understand if this was a class for the mentally challenged, and 'challenged' Pastor Dawkins was presenting his version of a science project, but to have this as an actual scientific explanation for this whacked out, dangerous, skull&bones worshipping Satanic religious belief system called "Evolution" is down right demeaning, and evil. Wasn't "Ota Benga" enough? Do they now have to ridicule and mock white, suburban housewives too?
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -  
    @RollTide420

Weight isn't the same as mass, hence why I never claimed it to be. However it is functionally the same as mass for 99.99% of people hence why I mentioned it in brackets in reply to a conversation line where the usage of terminology was getting blurred so as to helpfully indicate which one was being talked about. As you mention, the weight of an object is mass times gravity. As most of us aren't astronauts and live on a planet where the effects of gravity will not change to any appreciable degree, mass and weight are functionally equivalent and the only need to point out the difference is if you are talking about something where very exact measurements are required or for nitpicking semantics.

Also lb is not "the unit for measuring force" it is a unit (technically not even that, you have the units wrong, more on that below) and not even the primary one.  To verify this, please visit the Wikipedia page on force, and read the very first paragraph where it explains the SI unit for force is the newton

You also have your claim about the SI system backwards. Force is the primary determiner of the Newton. Weight is merely a specific subset of force, usually referrign to forces that occur due to gravity.

I would also mention this all seems to be fairly irrelevant. You stated " Lbs is a measure of force, not weight". I have shown that lbs is a measure of weight and force, but primarily weight. Nothing you have posted here actually disputes that and you just seem to be muddying the waters and arguing for the sake of arguing.

Lastly, lb isn't a measure of force at all anyway. The actual symbol for pounds when used as a force is lbf to prevent this confusion. When someone stated lb is a weight, not only should is have been obvious from common usage that they were referring to a weight but the symbols themselves make that clear.
    I'm not just referring to Darwinian evolution.
    The evolution of the species is only one small phase of the evolutionary process.
    I am referring to the complete process of the evolution of matter.
    I would suggest that mankind is the final stage of the organic phase.

Brought about by our own actions, we are now witnessing a new evolutionary phase.
    Inorganic intelligence. 
    Which, I suggest will inevitably evolve into sentient, self replicating intelligent devices.

This might sound like science fiction or the stuff of nightmares.
    But I would suggest that this is the natural and inevitable process of the evolution of matter.

I'm not just referring to Darwinian evolution.
    The evolution of the species is only one small phase of the evolutionary process.
    I am referring to the complete process of the evolution of matter.
    I would suggest that mankind is the final stage of the organic phase.

Brought about by our own actions, we are now witnessing a new evolutionary phase.
    Inorganic intelligence. 
    Which, I suggest will inevitably evolve into sentient, self replicating intelligent devices.

This might sound like science fiction or the stuff of nightmares.
    But I would suggest that this is the natural and inevitable process of the evolution of matter.

Darwinian biological evolution, specifically speciation from one species into another has never been observed, so it remains what Darwin said it was, a "suggestion". Which in reality was a cruel hypothesis meant as a white supremacist joke against the blacks, and those of dark colored skin which Darwin and his white buddies just couldn't accept that they'd be of the same species as white folk, which with all the effort and money put into it has never reached the theory stage.

Bacteria building resistance to antibiotics is NOT speciation, they remain bacteria. Horse breeding for thousands of years created more horses, all different kinds of horses. The same with dogs, pigeons and viruses.

Evolution of matter? Well let's see now, since man started this Big-Bang Evolution religion, all matter that they observed then, is the matter we observe now. Stories like the cosmic primordial gasses after a Big-Bang in nothing creating an imaginary universe over millions and billions of Carl Sagan years should be left in those imaginative science fiction stories, or children's fairytales, not forced on people as science.

@Fredsnephew - Brought about by our own actions, we are now witnessing a new evolutionary phase.
    Inorganic intelligence. 

I like that, .."Which, I suggest will inevitably evolve into sentient, self replicating intelligent devices, .."   yeah;  "Brought about by our own actions"  where they are self replicating, in some sweat-shop in China:

"Jibo"!

http://cdn.wonderfulengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/The-Jibo3.jpg
    lol
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    How can one deny evolution when humans have seen it unfold throughout history? 
    Wasn't it just the other day that 2 robots were deactivated because they had created a new language/speech pattern, which only they understood.
    How long before they learn how to override the off button.

Laugh and ignore is a typical human response to adverse issues.

Matter is matter.
    The evolution of matter is irrefutable. 

Check out the definition of science.
    There is nothing sinister or antisocial about it.
    We are all scientists.

Wasn't it just the other day that 2 robots were deactivated because they had created a new language/speech pattern, which only they understood.

Laugh and ignore is a typical human response to adverse issues.

Matter is matter.
    The evolution of matter is irrefutable. 

Check out the definition of science.
    There is nothing sinister or antisocial about it.
    We are all scientists.

@Fredsnephew ; Wasn't it just the other day that 2 robots were deactivated because they had created a new language/speech pattern, which only they understood.

LOL, .. "only they understood"?? It could of been a dying battery in their tape recorder!?

Unbelievable, you really do believe anything they tell you? How long before you, or your children volunteer to go and live on Mars? Here is the undeniable evidence of intelligent life on Mars, hurry, they could be dying! Hurry, save them! Matt Damon is waiting for you!

Time 27:03 is the SOS, .. yet NASA is ignoring it all, now how cruel is that, .. to let an entire planet full of English speaking people die out just so they could come in and take it over.
    Oh wait a minute, .. I just thought of it. What if that writing is from Joseph Smith? Maybe instead of the planet Kolob, he landed on Mars instead and needs to tell all the Mormons to turn back? Or maybe it's the Heavens Gate group, Marshall Applewhite telling us he's all settled in on Mars?
    Who are they?
    And what are they telling me?
    I'm quite capable of thinking for myself.
    Who are they?
    And what are they telling me?
    I'm quite capable of thinking for myself.

You asking me?
    Who is telling you anything? I don't understand?
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    The theory of evolution is essentially the concept that, against astronomical odds, life formed from a dissolving amino acid in the ocean, eventually turning into us.
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • RollTide420RollTide420 73 Pts   -  
    @AlwaysCorrect
    You keep ignoring the part about where I said said weight IS a TYPE OF FORCE. They aren't different, thas why the units aren't really interchangable.
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -  
    @RollTide420

You previously: "Lbs is a measure of force, not weight"

You now: " Weight IS a TYPE OF FORCE. They aren't different"

The entire point was you were distinguishing between them in the context of the argument. Now you're doing a 180 and saying that in the context of the argument they're the same and they're not different. You've essentially conceded the point so I don't think there's much more to discuss.
  • RollTide420RollTide420 73 Pts   -  
    @AlwaysCorrect
    I never distinguished them, my point was your force needed to out power the force of gravity in order to move something held down by gravity
    SilverishGoldNova