frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should The US Ban The Ownership of Fire Arms?

Debate Information

What do you think on this issue?
I am personally against this.
  1. Live Poll

?

10 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• No, the US should not ban the ownership of Fire arms. 

This would cause many outbursts, rallies, fights, lawsuits and violence. 
    George_Horse
  • woiut_1212woiut_1212 12 Pts   -  
    Yes, also I love this website. I will be telling people about this and advertising this.
    George_Horse
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    No, it's not realistically possible.  There are as many privately owned guns as there are people in the US.  There's no way to track all of them down, and US citizens will not voluntarily give them up.  States that have passed "assault weapons" laws can't even get their residents to turn them in.
    George_Horse
  • skndk_10837skndk_10837 13 Pts   -  
    No, I agree with CYDharta.
    George_Horse
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I agree as well.  Trying to enforce it will be a logistical nightmare.  Let Trump focus on his already-identified challenges.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    While we cannot completely ban the fire arms, I will support regulation that will significantly crack down on personal firearms. Lets make it more expensive to maintain a license, and add more vetting process to get one.  Essentially, if we impose a tax, it will decrease demand.  We cannt ban completely, but can make a lot of progress.
    @inc4t Progress towards what?  What are you trying to accomplish?  Is crime your main concern, or are you simply trying to reduce the number of guns in civilian hands?  The problem with what you're suggesting is that, while it would likely have an effect on guns bought by law-abiding citizens, it would have no effect on guns carried by criminals.  It wouldn't effect crime at all.
    George_Horse
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta , by ensuring that it is difficult to get firearms for general population, that will help to prevent it leaking out to the criminals.  My goal would be to reduce crime. Your point is that you question if that leakage prevention is real, as you believe it will not help crime at all.  
    I think it will to some degree, but also agree that we need more direct ways to fight this issue against criminal posessions. 
    @inc4t ; Just to clarify, my position is not that gun never go from the lawful market to the criminal market, some do, but I believe this approach would be counter-productive to reducing crime. Whatever gains were made at stopping crimes would be overtaken by the loss of crimes stopped by lawful gun owners. By conservative estimates, over 100,000 crimes a year are stopped by lawful gun owners, with some estimates going into the millions. Increasing regulations will affect lawful gun owners, but they will not affect criminals as they, by definition, do not abide by the law. Additionally, increased regulation and taxes will disproportionately affect the poor, as they can least afford compliance; yet they are the ones most victimized by crime.
    George_Horse
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    No. Just because mass murders are going out to kill people does not mean the appropriate course of action is to ban firearms. How else should people protect themselves from crime or from when a intruder enters their home with malicious intent?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles