frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Over population is not a problem.

Debate Information

OK
yolostidewalterbaCYDdhartaEmeryPearson

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• yolostideyolostide 95 Pts   -  
    Over population is a problem due to less space for people on Earth, less resources possibly and food, etc.
    walterbaEmeryPearsonZombieguy1987piloteer
  • PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    Over population is definitely a bad thing. The question is, though; do we have to worry about it now? I heard China and India have this problem, but are improving or have improved their population with birth control.
    walterbaEmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    It's not a critical problem currently, but at this rate of growth it's likely to become a major resource constraint issue in terms of space, energy, pollution, food, etc.  the offsetting factor is innovation though
    walterbaZombieguy1987piloteer
  • walterbawalterba 59 Pts   -  
    Over population is a large problem due to the effects it can have on people, Earth, etc.
    islander507Zombieguy1987
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -   edited November 2018
    Over population has no negative effects on people and earth. Name one example.

Zombieguy1987piloteer
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    @Nope,
    http://www.everythingconnects.org/overpopulation-effects.html

Human overpopulation is among the most pressing environmental issues, silently aggravating the forces behind global warmingenvironmental pollutionhabitat loss, the sixth mass extinctionintensive farming practices and the consumption of finite natural resources, such as fresh water, arable land and fossil fuels, at speeds faster than their rate of regeneration. However, ecological issues are just the beginning.

EmeryPearsonZombieguy1987Polaris95
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    @Nope

"no negative affects"

Finite resources are being used up. 
    EmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Global warming is not cause by over population. Nero is are over use of natural resource. I agree these are problems. But I cant agree that they are a result of overpopulation. This is a problem of overcompensation. Around 20% of humans use 80% of resources. The problem is country with the bottom 80% are advancing in to wealthier country's. Thies wealth country's use more resources then they need. That is where global warming and many resources are going. The article seems to connect habitat loss to global warming and pollution which is again connected to over consumption. The article also connects crime to a loss of resources. As for more intensive farming. I cant dinay you bring up a good  point their. But what I will say is Genetic engineering done right might help with this problem. But this is in a way an effect of population growth. As for Species Extinction. I was hopping some one would address this issue. This is largly a result of over consumption but over populations is still a factor. You do bring up many good point's. I believe its the fact that wealthy country's use more resources then they need that is the core of the problem not over population. Not even close. But you have convinced me overpopulation in third world country's is a bit of a  problem. Pleas don't mind my spelling. : )
    EmeryPearson
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I thought the over-population scare went away in the 70's. 

Population replacement level is 2.1.  This means that the population is decreasing in all of the blue areas.  The population in the green areas is stable to rising slowly.  World-wide, the fertility rate is 2.5 and the trend is downward, towards a reduction in the fertility rate. 

The real problems arise when the fertility rate drops below the replacement rate for too long.  All advanced societies on the planet subsidize the elderly with those who are of working age.  As an example, you work, you pay social security.  Someone who is retired gets the money you put into social security.  The theory is that you'll eventually get money from the people who are working when you retire.  The more people that are working per retired person, the better.  When social security was originally set up, there were 41.9 workers to each retiree.  In 2010, that ratio was down to 2.9 workers per retiree, and still dropping.  If our population stops growing or starts to shrink for too long, social security, our tax system, healthcare, basically our entire economy, will collapse.
    agsrislander507EmeryPearson
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, excellent argument.
    I also would like to add that our rate of technological advancement is well positioned to deal with population growth.  We are getting more and more efficient with space utilization, feeding world population, energy sources, and water supply.  

islander507EmeryPearsonpiloteer
    Live Long and Prosper
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    @agsr The population growth rate appears to be leveling off.  Hopefully automation can solve the problems of not enough workers per retiree.
    islander507EmeryPearson
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Global overpopulation will not be an issue in, at least, many more centuries: the Earth can easily sustain trillions of people with even the current level of technology - and when thermonuclear reactors become feasible, orders of magnitude more still.

Local overpopulation, however, often is a problem, and has been for many centuries. The US is not terribly affected by this problem as of now, as it mostly has very capable megacity mayors that take measures to decentralize the population distribution. But less developed countries with less capable management, such as Mexico, Russia, China or India, face this problem regularly when it comes to major cities, as decentralization is not an accepted concept in the governing there.