frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

StarTrek will not be the same without Gene Roddenberry

Debate Information

Original StarTrek series and Next Generation were the best StarTrek series. Gene Roddenberry was a great visionary, and many of his concepts came true. Since that, there were a number of attempts to revive the franchise, but none came close and likely will never will.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Roddenberry
CuriousGeorgeaarongjoecavalry
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
61%
Likely
39%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

51% (24 Points)

Against:

49% (23 Points)

Votes: 5

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 1 Hour Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    If you look at the series created by Gene Roddenberry and compare it with other series, such as Voyager and the ohers, you can see how much better th older versions were.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    While I fully agree that Gene Roddenberry was a visionary creator of the series, I think that the series has done nicely without him as well.  He only created some of the initial episodes of the Next Generation, and that series has taken off without him.  Deep Space Nine was also really amazing, and that was done without Gene.
    Finally, the later series leveraged better technology and graphics to compensate for Gene’s lack of his visionary thinking.
    CuriousGeorge
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    While original series was original for that time, the later series continues to adopt to evolving times and were also great.  The newer series were written by talented writers and are as good as the original.
    islander507Plaffelvohfen
  • Round 1 | Position: For
    CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    There have been other decent Star Trek series, but they were written by people who grew up with Gene Roddenberry's original work and were inspired by it.  If it weren't for Roddenberry, the spin-offs would never have been made.
    agsrCuriousGeorge
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
    The "Pro" side introduced the notion that Gene Roddenberry's visionary thinking was the key to making great StarTrek series.  
    Also introduced idea that Gene influenced other writers to follow his foot steps and create great Star Trek series. I'd like to address these points.

1) Roddenberry's shows were not as popular as newer shows that were made without him and mostly without his influence.  Acdording to two sources Voyager and TNG were more popular than TOS.

https://nerdist.com/star-trek-netflix-most-rewatched/

http://www.startrek.com/article/poll-fans-most-watched-star-trek-series-is

2) yes, we couldn't have startrek spinoff without Gene Roddenberry, but that wasn't the debate.  The debate is if we can make great Star Trek series without him.  His inspiration stays on, but more popular shows were made since without him.
    CuriousGeorgePlaffelvohfen
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
    Another source that lists star trek series by popularity, demonstrates that Deep Space 9 is top pick.  That was appoved by Gene Roddenberry, but not created by him. 
    http://www.vulture.com/article/star-trek-every-tv-show-ranked-worst-to-best.html

The inspiration of Star Trek was important  as  stated by @CYDdharta

I certainly have respect for his legacy, but he created something bigger than himself and other writers created even more popular series based on that insipiration.
    islander507Plaffelvohfen
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I acknowledge the sources that show that the original series were not as popular as the followup series.  However, we need to look at that as a function of time.  The newer series took advantage of the already established StarTrek user base and expanded on that viewership.  The newer series also upgraded tehnology to appeal more to newer generations.  Given that Roddenberry's series are still very popular today, so many years later, and were so groundbreaking for that time - I would argue that it makes it a better creation overall.  His series created a foundation for the other series. We cannot claim that for any of the spinoffs.
    CuriousGeorge
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    The original Star Trek spawned an entire TV genre.  Prior to Star Trek, the closest thing to a Sci Fi series on US network television was the Twilight Zone.  Star Trek was the first with a recurring cast that took place entirely in outer space.
    agsrCuriousGeorgePlaffelvohfen
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    @CYDdharta
    and @agsr, you both made great arguments, pivoting your debate on the fact that Original series was visionary for it's time and spawned of other ideas.  However, that still doesn't address the point that subsequent series were more popular than the orginal while made without Roddenberry.  An objective measure of how good a series is based on popularity, and multiple sources were provided to demonstrate popularity of the various series.
    Great debating with you, and since it's final round, I look forward to the votes.
    agsr
  • Round 3 | Position: For
    agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    My definition of "better" is not measured by popularity many years later compared to more recent series. That wouldn't be a fair Comparison.  Popularity needs to be normalized for how much time has passed, as there is always bias towards more recent content.
    The very latest episode of the current TV show will normally get more hits than an older episode.  
    Better should be measured by how much impact it made on the society and forward.  TOS did that. It created generations of fans, spin offs, and prototypes of future techology that wasn't even concievable at that time.

In conclusion, I attribute all of that to the StarTrek creator, Gene Roddenberry, who both created the show, and inspired future generations of writers, innovators,  and fans. 

CuriousGeorge
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    I like to stay with the facts. The original series was great, and Roddenberry did a great job.  However, the subsequent series were better as measured by popularity.