frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Which came first, the chicken or the chicken egg?

Debate Information

This is a big question people have been asking for a long time. What do you think?
  1. Live Poll

Which came first, the chicken, the egg, or the flying spaghetti monster?

13 votes
    1. The egg of course.
      46.15%
    2. The chicken because reasons
      15.38%
    3. I don't know
      23.08%
    4. It was of course the flying spaghetti monster. Come on people
      15.38%
    5. All of the blow
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DrCerealDrCereal 193 Pts   -  
    The egg.

You can arrive at this answer with the theory of evolution. Two chicken-like creatures mated to produce a more chicken-like creature. Since this creature began as an egg, the answer to your question would be the egg.
    MissDMeanorEmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
    Bis das, si cito das.
    The egg.

You can arrive at this answer with the theory of evolution. Two chicken-like creatures mated to produce a more chicken-like creature. Since this creature began as an egg, the answer to your question would be the egg.
    MissDMeanorEmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    DrCereal Was the egg which the first chicken came from a chicken egg or because it was laid by a proto-chicken, a proto-chicken egg?
    anonymousdebater
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    OK
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    The egg. Although some people might not believe in macroevolution, microevolution is undeniable. Since the mutation or genetic variance occurs when the egg itself is being developed, the chicken egg would have consisted of the genetics of the chicken. So the chicken egg came first. 
    DrCerealEmeryPearsonBaconToesZombieguy1987
    Nope said:
    DrCereal Was the egg which the first chicken came from a chicken egg or because it was laid by a proto-chicken, a proto-chicken egg?
    The DNA of an egg is different from the parent's DNA so the egg wasn't a "proto-chicken" egg.
    EmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    Unless you completely deny the theory of evolution, the egg comes first by definition of "the egg contains a chicken". If you don't believe in evolution, chances are you'd have to ask God which he put on Earth first. (I believe in Evolution.)
    EmeryPearsonBaconToesZombieguy1987
  • ViceRegentViceRegent 68 Pts   -  
    Only an ignorant fool believes in evolution, and God is clear, the chicken cane first.
    DrCerealNopeSilverishGoldNovaEmeryPearsonBaconToesTheShaunZombieguy1987
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    If the egg came first. What laid it?

It's a bit like asking, which came first the adult or the child.

An actual chicken egg has to be created by two adult birds.

So the chickens have to come first.

Based on an evolutionary theory, rather than magical processes. 

I would have to conclude that egg laying was a derived process of reproduction.

Derived from a basic process, such a as cellular division.

Which came first, the cell or the divided cell?
    BaconToesZombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    This question was finally solved a while back it’s the egg all the way .....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/problem-solved-the-egg-came-first-6910803/
    @Dee ;

You too, have obviously not got much on this morning .

When did the chicken become the chicken?

The egg itself is not necessarily relevant to the question.

As I stated above, the relevant question is:

Which came first the parents or the offspring?

I would have to conclude that the parents come before the offspring.
    EmeryPearsonBaconToesZombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

@Fredsnephew

You too, have obviously not got much on this morning

I’m an artist so I paint most the day in my studio , I use this and C D as amusements and distractions as it breaks the time up nicely 

Parents and offspring yes , another tricky one and no doubt just as many different opinions 

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Fredsnephew
    Their is no clear point when a chicken becomes a chicken. The theory of evolution says that genetic changes in the species normally take place from in a aspiring who has a mutation its parents did not have. So it the egg where the genteelly different chickens come form. Asking a question about parent and aspring is defrent then where a spices begins and I would say while it depends I think the egg is the better answer. .
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -  
    Neither, it's a loaded question.

Reptiles were the first to have hard-shelled eggs.
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Neither, it's a loaded question.

Reptiles were the first to have hard-shelled eggs.
    The question only ask about chicken eggs not reptail eggs.
    EmeryPearson
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Nope

Ah, I see. Egg still has to be first, as archaic chickens used them before our modern chicken did.
    BaconToes
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    P
    EmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
    @Nope ;

The answer to your specific question is.

The Hen and the Cockerel definitely existed before they created their Egg.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    The egg the first chicken came from was not laid by a chicken if evolution is true. Even if creationism is true, the first chicken probably came from the first egg unless it was created in adult form.

The short story is, it was the egg. The long story is, we weren't there to see it and can never really know.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    The egg came first. Here is why.

Let us pinpoint the moment when the very first creature we classify as chicken was born on this planet. The chicken had to be born from the egg. However, the creature that laid that egg was not a chicken, by definition of the selected moment in time. It was a proto-chicken, something very-very close to a chicken, but with slight genetic differences.

This logic cannot be reversed to obtain the opposing result. If we pinpoint the moment when the very first chicken egg was laid and look at what creature laid that egg, then that creature cannot be chicken, otherwise that chicken would have been born from another chicken egg, which contradicts the definition of the selected moment in time.

hence, the only conclusion is that the egg was the first, and then the first chicken appeared.
    cheesycheeseZombieguy1987
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar
    a chicken randomly evolved to lay eggs but is is a controversial question wether that thing was a chicken or not
    Zombieguy1987
  • The egg is a product of reproduction. It is one gender of bird that lays the egg. The egg alone does not create a life as it is unfertile. This would mean a chicken and rooster are required for an egg to be fertile and form a chick with an odd of chance as to its gender.

While on a time line it is the fertile egg which starts any chicken’s creation. What came first the chicken or the egg? Neither the question is demonstration of a human fraud. It is the same with the question on a glass of water. The glass is always full or it is broken.