frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do you think convicted felons should be allowed to vote after serving their sentence?

Debate Information

Convicted felons are not allowed to vote after servicing their sentence.  Do you think they should and if so which party would benefit from their vote and why?
  1. Live Poll

If convicted felons where allowed to vote, which party would benefit the most?

10 votes
    1. Republicans
      50.00%
    2. Democrats
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• I believe that Democrats would benefit the most from the scenario. That is a great debate.
  • Surely, democrats would benefit the most due to their more lower/middle class voters which could include that group mentioned.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    It is an interesting debate.  To me there are a few questions:
    1) is it a good idea to let convicted fellons vote post sentence? Not sure that's a great idea because that is part of the post-conviction penalty.
    2) who would benefit the most? I would think that likely democrats because most of convicted fellons (less white collar crimes)  are not Republicans.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • I don't believe any political party would truly benefit from this.
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    We shouldnt let them vote.  That is the price to pay for being a convicted fellon. That may sound crule, but I would argue against that position. If we were to let convicted fellons vote that would benefit Democrats.
  • mandm_17mandm_17 2 Pts   -  
    I believe that Democrats would benefit the most.
  • enbh_venbh_v 2 Pts   -  
    Republicans would not be benefiting in any way, democrats would.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    I am not sure why we wouldn't let them vote. If they served time and were released, these folks suffered enough.  That would send them the right message that we want them integrated as part of the society. I don't have any reliable stats to back it up, but I would think they are mostly democrats. Not sure how legit this link is, but it says 7 out of 10.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-7-in-10-felons-register-as-democrats/article/2541412
  • enbh_venbh_v 2 Pts   -  
    No, they would benefit a party too much to be able to vote. Also, there vote may not be wanted by some parties and/or candidates. 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I believe the privilege of voting should be reserved to those who can put society ahead of themselves.  Felons, by virtue of their actions, have demonstrated that that they put themselves ahead of anything else, and thus should not be allowed to vote.
  • MattInFlaMattInFla 3 Pts   -  
    The problem as I see it is that the original intent of disenfranchisement for felony convictions is that the list of felonies has grown exponentially. 

Years ago, only very serious offenses were classified as felonies.  Murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, grand theft, arson, etc.  Today, things like taking a photograph of an agricultural facility, or simple trespass on a designated construction site are felonies.

I don't have an issue with disenfranchisement for serious crimes like murder, arson, etc.  Disenfranchisement for taking a picture of an orange grove from a public street seems beyond reason, in my opinion.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  

@MattInFla I agree with you, but the problem you pose is more an indicator that our legal system, like so many of our institutions, needs a major overhaul.  It will happen sooner of later, either before or after it crashes.  If we change this law now, it will be very hard if not impossible to reestablish it when the system is made more efficient.

Good to see you again Matt

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I tried fo research this topic, and it seems that different states have different rules for voting post eviction.
    I don't know why that cannot be standardized across all states

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286
    Live Long and Prosper