frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Did Thomas Jefferson have children with his slave Sally Hemings?

Debate Information

I am here to assert that the widely accepted theory that Thomas Jefferson fathered children with his slave Sally Hemings is patently false. 
Firstly, the most obvious point, the DNA evidence. Despite popular belief, the DNA test did not condemn Jefferson to fatherhood. The test found that the descendants of Eston Hemings, the last child of Sally, had the same DNA of a Jefferson male. There were twenty five Jefferson males alive at the time, with eight being considered probable, with Thomas and his brother Randolph among them.
I assert that Randolph Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson's younger brother, or another Jefferson, is the father of Eston, not Thomas. 
joecavalrynatbaronsmelefSilverishGoldNovayolostidenorthsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Did Thomas Jefferson father children with Sally Hemings?

7 votes
    1. Yes
      85.71%
    2. No
      14.29%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• I am taking the position that Thomas Jefferson is innocent of the charge of fathering children with his slave Sally Hemings. I will attempt to rebut any evidence shown to me.
    joecavalrynatbarons
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Thomas Jefferson was not the father of most or all of Sally Hemings’s children. The DNA evidence does not show that he is the father of the children and that is a highly accurate test.
    natbarons
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    I believe that he did not due to the DNA tests showing that he hasn’t. They are very accurate and most likely correct on that issue.
  • NonCredentiNonCredenti 46 Pts   -  
    Why do you think it was Randolph?
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    natbarons said:
    I believe that he did not due to the DNA tests showing that he hasn’t. They are very accurate and most likely correct on that issue.
    You misunderstand, the DNA tests showed Jefferson could be the father and it would have had to be him OR a very close relative. So they alone do not absolutely prove the connection, but they make it very possible and the historical evidence makes that possibility look very likely.
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    I voted NO for I don’t know about Jefferson’s love life. Jefferson’s profound contribution to humanity was his unknown discovery of the physical constructal law. Today, this law is known as a newly discovered law in thermodynamics; hence, in Jefferson’s time, commonly referred to as our “unalienable Rights.”
  • I don’t believe that he did.
  • My understanding is that it was quite a love affair between the two. He certainly wouldn't have been the first slave owner to pup one of his slaves. Especially since mulattos were worth more at auction. 

True story.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Yes or no. 
    Quite clearly it's impossible to give such a definitive answer.
    Though the evidence suggests, that there is a high probability that he did.