frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Has evolution been scientifically proven?

Debate Information

Evolution is taken for granted by many and taught in school.  Is it proven?
  1. Live Poll

Has evolution been scientifically proven?

5 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Well, evolution as well as many other things are simply "theories." Some accept it and some don't.
  • SylynnSylynn 71 Pts   -  
    Yes evolution has been proven. In fact this is how scientific theory works; you first have to prove it. Evolution is a fact, the theory is the method of evolution and this theory is always changing as we learn new things about it. To those that think it's just a "theory" as in it's just an idea, you are mistaken to what the term means in the scientific community. Gravity is also just a theory, but I bet you accept that as being true.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Sylynn , first of all I am not arguing against theory or evolution.  But I don't really agree that it has been proven.  I think that many take it for granted since the theory was not disproved.   But who has a burden of prove?
    Lets say that we actually live in a game created by an advanced society somewhere, and we are really just virtual reality characters?  We are programmed to evolve and believe in evolution?

or imagine that we are character in Star-Trek holodeck.  There were many episodes where Holodeck characters were sure that they were real too.  
    Or lets say one of the thousands religions on this planet turns out to be true, and we are actually created by a higher being.

My point is - does someone have to prove each possibility I listed to be false before we say that theory of evolution has been proven?  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    @Sylynn , I think definition of being scientifically proven includes actually "proving". It is a generally accepted theory, but different than e is mc square, which is a mathematical formula.
    I think there is an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting this theory, but even that doesn't constitute as prove.
    @agsr, I like your startrek Holodeck reference :)