frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should the U.S. decrease military spending?

Debate Information

The U.S. spends more on defense than the next 8 nations combined. It also accounts for about 34% of what the world spends on defense. So should it be decreased?  
billpassedjoecavalry
  1. Live Poll

Should the U.S. decrease military spending?

7 votes
    1. Yes, we spend to much and could be used for better programs.
      71.43%
    2. No, we need the super powerful military.
      28.57%
I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    Yes, that money can be invested into other programs or things. I’m not sure if the money they are spending towards military is needed. Some may be.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    No, social spending is always a failure.  50 years ago, LBJ declared a war on poverty.  We are no closer to solving poverty now than when that war began.  Social spending hasn't solved ANY of the problems they set out to solve. 

Military spending, OTOH, should be increased, as it has been responsible for most of our country's major booms; bomber research in WWI led to the development of civilian airliners, WWII code-breaking research led to computers, military communications research led to the microwave, semi-conductors, cellular communications, etc, et al. The i-phone wouldn't have been possible without military research.

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/irony-high-tech/

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, the military should be funded. They defend the US.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    The military should be funded, but the question is whether or not we should decrease the funding and accept a more diplomatic approach. We could use some of the money for education, health, etc.
    i fart cows
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    My question was not to stop funding. It was if we should decrease it.
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself!