frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

U.S. returning Okinawa land to Japan: Should Japan have to pay for this land?

Debate Information

No.
joecavalryyolostide

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    No. The US is returning it. So why would they sell it.
  • yolostideyolostide 95 Pts   -  
    No, the US should give it back.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, it may have been there land.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited December 2017

I'm not really sure.  How much did Japan pay in Reparations for the destruction and unprovoked violent attack against Pearl Harbor?  What is it that Japan did to atone for all the service members and civilians that were gunned down and bombed during that attack?  What did Japan do to convey that they were truly sorry for the hundreds of Sailors trapped on the ocean floor in a sunken ship for weeks who either died of asphyxiation, drowned or starved/dehydrated to death?

In one day, Japan killed enough U.S. service members and civilians to account for more than half of all the Dead service Members and U.S. civilians during the Iraq War and conflict.
    If you asked me...I'd say we don't owe Japan anything for our response to their unprovoked attack and whatever we decided to give back...they can suck it up and like it.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    Vaulk They lost many solders to. And the lost the right to build any offensive military power. They were also the only nation to be attack by atomic weapons..
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Nope

Your statement about Japan is missing critical context that without...makes it extremely prejudicial to the argument.  Japan lost many soldiers as a result of the retaliation from the U.S. as a direct result of the unprovoked attack by Japan in an attempt to achieve freedom to invade Southwest Asia and the Dutch East Indies.  So essentially, Japan wanted to pick a fight with several other countries and take them over by force...so they attacked the U.S. to prevent any assistance we might give to the Countries that could not fight off the invasion.  They were attacked by atomic weapons in response to their unprovoked attack, the historical lesson here is:

"Don't start none...won't be none".
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Vaulk It was their land. They have a right to it. We don't need it. Most Japaneses citizens were surprised and fearful when they ingaed in a war with the US. Many Japanese leaders felt that a war with the US was going to happen because of the US aggression toward Japan. Even the leaders at the time had mixed feeling about the attack on pearl harbor. They then gave the US the rights to station solders in japan. Japan can only make a defensive military and is allowing for a lot of US solders to be station here. They attacked first. If they are right and a war was gonging to happen who cares who stuck the first blow. Thier is not a good and bad side in a war. I think Japan deserves it's land to be given back. 

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    @Nope

I respect that you disagree and you've taken a stance built solidly on logic and reason.  I suppose we're just on difference sides of the empathy circle.  From my standpoint, from where I see things...regardless of what they "Thought" we might do...attacking the U.S. was a HUGE mistake, one that we suffered greatly for during the attack on Pearl Harbor but never-the-less...one they suffered for to a greater degree due to our retaliation with Atomic Bombs.

I don't really know the "Why" aspect of the discussion, I wasn't there and any reliance upon historical facts is truly hearsay so that can be taken with a grain of salt.  All I know is that they attacked an unsuspecting military installation and killed more than half of what we lost during Iraq...that's saying a great deal since our Iraq situation has been ongoing for 10 years and pearl harbor was literally ELEVEN MINUTES long.

Perhaps we should be more gracious than we have been, perhaps we should forgive and forget.  It's not for me to say, but from my perspective...considering their unjust transgression...it would've been justified to completely annihilate Japan and then sell it to another country.  I personally consider it a great exercise of control that we only toasted those two cities and then let bygones be bygones.

And Obama can rot for apologizing for the bombing.