frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Did Jeff Sessions lie about talking to Russians?

Debate Information

news broke today about aligations of whether Jeff Sessions should be charged with perjury for making  false statements to Congress, and explore links between Trump campaign officials and Russia during the election. 
  1. Live Poll

?

12 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• mans_iwjmmans_iwjm 2 Pts   -  
    No, I don't believe so.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    "According to Washington Post" he definitely lied and many others are likely implicated.  Of course, Washinghton Post, anti-trump machine..so read at your owm risk.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/03/02/daily-202-trump-s-russia-headache-gets-worse-as-sessions-struggles-to-spin-undisclosed-meetings/58b745cae9b69b1406c75d1b/?utm_term=.12d9f56429b1&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
    Live Long and Prosper
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    He did recuse himself. Not sure how we qualify "lying", but it seems there maybe something going on there.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    To me that is obvious that he lied and is now getting caught . I some ways it reminds me of a plot from Billions that is a  polular show on HBO.  Chuck Roads had to recuse himself from imvestigation against axe.  
    I think it is so unhealthy how much drama is unfolding in front of the eyes of american public, and I dont think that this one is "fake news"..it seems pretty real to me that jeff sessions lied about his interactions with Russia, and further investigation will unravel much more.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    No, it appears Sessions did not lie.  The questions posed to him were about discussing the election with the Russians.  It appears this is not the case.

"So what are the two meetings that Sessions had? The first came at a conference on “Global Partners in Diplomacy,” where Sessions was the keynote speaker. Sponsored by the U.S. State Department, The Heritage Foundation, and several other organizations, it was held in Cleveland during the Republican National Convention.

The conference was an educational program for ambassadors invited by the Obama State Department to observe the convention. The Obama State Department handled all of the coordination with ambassadors and their staff, of which there were about 100 at the conference.

Apparently, after Sessions finished speaking, a small group of ambassadors—including the Russian ambassador—approached the senator as he left the stage and thanked him for his remarks. That’s the first “meeting.” And it’s hardly an occasion—much less a venue—in when a  conspiracy to “interfere” with the November election could be hatched.

Sessions also apparently met with the Russian ambassador in September.  But on that occasion, Sessions was acting as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, not as a surrogate for the Trump campaign. That’s why the meeting was held in his Senate office. His DOJ spokesperson, Sarah Isgur Flores, says they discussed relations between the two countries – not the election."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/03/02/get-real-democrats-there-is-no-good-reason-for-sessions-to-resign.html

See also; http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/mar/02/context-what-jeff-sessions-told-al-franken-about-m/

• inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
  • ludil_hanzaludil_hanza 3 Pts   -  
    No, I don't think that he directly lied. Although, he may have provided some "alternative" facts.
  • pejat_pejat_ 2 Pts   -  
    I don't believe that he lied regarding this matter. He even pulled himself out of any investigations related to that which was an honest and extremely bold move.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    This reminds me of the Bill Clinton scandal when he swore that he "didn't have any sexual relations with that woman."  We don't yet have prove, but as situation unravels I strongly suspect that we will, and others will get implicated too.  Too many eyes on this right now, so they will find more dirt.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • foodrunded_52foodrunded_52 12 Pts   -  
    No, I don't believe that he directly implied about this claim. Although, one way or another, he could have had some form of contact with any Russians. Especially, the ambassador for Russia.
  • eiok_28eiok_28 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, clearly many people in the Trump administration included Rex Tillerson most likely had some form of contact with the Russian government and/or ambassador. I feel that this is pretty obvious at this stage and this time. Many media outlets are claiming this as well. Again, I personally believe that he did have contact with the Russian government in one way or another. It was ought to happen.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    It is a really complex situation. Seasions likely at a minimum was in some gray area about not being 100% truthful, but that is not same as saying he lied.  It is good that he recused himself, recognizing the potential conflict of interest.  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • lebveuei_28lebveuei_28 2 Pts   -  
    It is very complex. I just wanted to say how much I love agsr. He really earned and deserves his number 1 spot on the leaderboard.
  • Yes. I do think that he lied and so did others in his administration.