frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Trump-care Obamacare replacement a better option?

Debate Information

With so many fighting ineffective Obamacare, now that Republicans released the replacement plan is that better? It seems that 2 most vulnerable groups - Elderly and the poor are going to be adversely impacted.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/07/trump-replacement-healthcare-plan-cost-older-poor
  1. Live Poll

do you support replacement plan?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      62.50%
    2. No
      37.50%
  2. Live Poll

Are Elderly and poor adversely impacted?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      87.50%
    2. No
      12.50%
WhyTrump - a good question

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    I support the revised plan. The impact to elderly and poor may arguably slighly adverse, but that more than compensates for the overall inefficiency of the Obamacare program, balancing the net impact to the tax payers.

EmeryPearson
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    As the article pointed out, the new plan targets poor and elderly , and therefore I cannot in good faith support this plan.  I think that Trump administration focused too much energy on discrediting the Obamacare plan, but the new plan is just not all that appealing iether.  I believe that there are fundamental inefficiencies in our healthcare system that need to ne solved with technology and process automation, and that way everyone wins.  This plan to me looks like it is just moving around the burden.
    EmeryPearson
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    One of the concerns with this plan is cancellation of penalties of not carrying health insurance.  That is a blow to insurance companies, and if sufficient number of people choose not to carry insurance, we will see higher premiums to the rest of the insured population.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-insurers-like-and-dread-about-gops-plan-to-replace-obamacare-1488906247

Overall though, it should have a positive impact imho, and the Obamacare was just not a right program for us.
    EmeryPearson
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Well, I believe that the plan is a huge step in he right direction in like Obama Care. Yes, the elderly and seniors will be greatly impacted on this. The impact amount is based on their class, wealth and some other factors. I just wanted to say how much I love this website. I had an amazing conversation with the founder, who's extremely knowledgeable and friendly. That's a guy who seems to have graduated from Harvard. Keep it up DebateIsland.com I'm working on bring many users in.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • This article from today's WSJ further explains the changes. Top highlights below.  You can see that it is very complex, and diffuclt to assess wheather good or bad.  It does though promote flexibility, freedom of choice, and less subsidy from one class to another.  I support that.

Will I still have to pay a penalty if I don’t have insurance?
    penalty for consumers who go 63 days or more contiguously without coverage

What effect would this plan have on premiums?

will make plans cheaper for young enrollees but more expensive for older ones, but ...there is a hugh but...
    the overall effect on premiums is hard to gauge, since they are closely tied to insurers’ assessment of the likely costs of the people who will sign up for plans

What about the subsidies that help consumers pay for insurance?

The House proposal replaces the ACA’s subsidies with refundable tax credits that would be tied to age, with people under 30 eligible for a credit of $2,000 a year, increasing to $4,000 for those over 60. The size of a tax credit would grow with the size of a family, but would be capped at $14,000.
    phasing out at an income level of $75,000 for an individual

I get my insurance from my employer. What about me? 
    Minimum impact

I have a health condition. Will I still be able to buy coverage?
    Insurers won’t be able to refuse to sell coverage to people who have a history of illness, and they won’t be able to tie premiums to a consumer’s health status.

Would consumers still buy insurance through an exchange?
    No

https://www.wsj.com/articles/q-a-how-the-house-plan-to-replace-obamacare-would-affect-consumers-1488910888
    EmeryPearson
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Healthcare problem is difficult to understand and solve.  Thank you @love2debate for the summary.  It will require more interpretation once the details are more clear, but in general I support a plan that relies less on a government and more on freedom of choice for financial decisions. There will be losers undoubtedly, and perhaps the 2 groups mentioned in some cases will be adversely impacted.  We are not sure yet if they will be and severity of the impact 
    Live Long and Prosper
  • oeliaoelia 2 Pts   -  
    I support this plan for the most part. Although, some tweaks need to be made.
    EmeryPearson
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Not suprising there is a backlash on the new healthcare proposal today.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-leaders-brace-for-the-task-ahead-selling-obamacare-lite/2017/03/07/ab2f721e-02e5-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_repeal-710a:homepage/story&utm_term=.e022b2d413d1

i think targeting poor and elderly for any negative impact will be hignly unpopular for any political proposal, especially healthcare.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney