frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The Universe is a Hologram

Debate Information

agsr
  1. Live Poll

Is the Universe a Hologram?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      16.67%
    2. No
      83.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• No!
    GenghisKhunt
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @xMathFanx, I don't have enough expertise to understand that theory, but it's not totally impossible.  We just don't understand enough about universe creation to categorically rule out many theories.
    xMathFanx
    Live Long and Prosper
  • LoganHockemaLoganHockema 10 Pts   -  
    If by "Universe" you mean not only everything observable in space and the world we live in, it would be completely contradictory against any evidence or belief to suggest the universe and everything within it is a hologram. A hologram is the projection of light to form or mimic the appearance of a 3D image. The universe is full of tangible objects, and obviously light is intangible.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Space is a lie

The hologram is us.
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Space is a lie

The hologram is us.

What do you mean?
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Fredsnephew

Once you understand that the sky is an element of the game... Once you realise that the hunger games was no less than a HUGE CLUE to what reality is... You will end up on your way to not being a loser.

We are characters in a game and the game is extremely hard to win. If there is 'free will' there's a degree of randomness in our AI construct and they are watching for someone to realise the centre of the north pole is how to win.
    @xMathFanx ;

if everything is a hologram.

Why then. If I were to hit you over the head with a big stick would I probably fracture your skull?
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew Because the stick is equally a hologram that interacts with the rest of the hologram.
    @someone234 ;

Are you attempting to redefine hologram or the potential of a hologram?

As I understand it. Holograms are 3D light projected images.

How would 2 separate light projected images interact in the way, that you are proposing?
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    please do not question the Matrix
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Fredsnephew
    The theory that the universe is a hologram attempts to solve the black hole destroying information problem by saying all information is stored on the surface of the black hole or on a two dimensional space. It is not saying the universe is the type of hologram that people would normally think of. It is base on the duality between volume and the space that encloses it. The information on the 2 dimensional surface of space can determand the information of the space it enclose.
    A volume of space can be represented by it's surface.
    That's the trouble with theoretical physics.

It doesn't have to make a whole lot of sense.

I suppose theoretical physicists have to justify their salaries somehow.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Everything we do in physics has one ultimate goal in mind: to develop a model that matches our observations to a certain mathematical framework. That framework does not have to be intuitively reasonable, nor does it have to be exclusive (meaning there could be an infinite number of possible theories all describing the observations perfectly well). It simply has to work.

The holographic model of the Universe does not necessarily try to explain how things "truly work". Obviously, whether the Universe is a hologram or not, we will never be able to leave it to look from the side and see it as a hologram. It is purely an abstraction. But it is a promising abstraction that has a potential to lead to new testable predictions, in perspective leading us to new technological advances.

Now, I am not an expert in cosmology, I have only touched the field a few times in my research. My understanding is that the holographic theory is not doing very well currently and struggle to explain certain observable phenomena - but it is also flexible enough to potentially be made into something that works.

It is a bit like the String Theory: it has a potential, but a lot of work still needs to be done to see whether this is something we should take seriously, or it is one of those odd products of abstract theoretical physics that does not have any real world applications.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Everything we do in physics has one ultimate goal in mind: to develop a model that matches our observations to a certain mathematical framework. That framework does not have to be intuitively reasonable, nor does it have to be exclusive (meaning there could be an infinite number of possible theories all describing the observations perfectly well). It simply has to work

ha! No. To develop a model using physics that matches the observation means no other possibilities are to be found. They are ruled out. A theory is no longer part of the model.
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    It’s the f%cking matrix all over again
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • AkhenatenAkhenaten 106 Pts   -  
    Our perception of the universe is a hologram. The universe, itself, is not.