frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is Ben Carson's categorization of African slaves as immigrants appropriate?

Debate Information

Carson categorized African slaves coming to US as immigrants, "Carson told a room packed with hundreds of federal workers that the Africans captured, sold and transported to America against their will had the same hopes and dreams as early immigrants."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/06/carson-compares-slaves-to-immigrants-coming-to-a-land-of-dreams-and-opportunity/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_1_na&utm_term=.bcd81559d6b1
  1. Live Poll

Do you agree with Carson on this?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      16.67%
    2. No
      83.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    It is interesting that Carson might get away with such comments as he is an African American..so he will be dismissed as maybe slightly incompetent. If Trump or others on his administration would make such a comment them the media frenzy would intensify, labeling them as racist. Ultimately, I think Carson made a technical mistake, that is someehat being twisted by the media. His overall message meant well.
  • pqbobramapqbobrama 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, it completely appropriate. Also, I love this website. I found it through the New York Times. I also like the articles and how they are in the website.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  

It's funny that this would even come up as a question at this point, considering Obama frequently made the same comparison.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/07/11-times-barack-obama-compared-slaves-to-immigrants/

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Nice find @CYDdharta .  Looks like another example of Washington post selective fact finding mission.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • letrsurned_19letrsurned_19 2 Pts   -  
    I agree with him. It's pretty accurate.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    I didnt agree when Obama made similar references, and don't agree with Carson either. Obama didnot appreciate the full meaning of slavery, as he is actually a descendant of immigrant, not a slave.  I also don't think that Carson relates to any of that.  It is not accurate to miscategorize immigrants and those who came as slaves.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • shuruniwshuruniw 2 Pts   -  
    No, I think it could be going a little too far, but I'm a fan of Ben Carson.