frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is SNL taking it too far insulting President Trump?

Debate Information

i dont know about you, but i am sick of snl making fun of President Trump.  Its disrespectful and they are putting negative messages and poisoning people's minds.  He is our president and i think its about time they move on to something else. Its really not funny anymore.  I think they should be cancelled if they continue to disrespect trump in the future.
aarongWhyTrumpcompaniesruennatbaronsGeorge_Horse
  1. Live Poll

?

30 votes
    1. Yes - too far
      63.33%
    2. No - it is a free country
      36.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• biksa26biksa26 29 Pts   -   edited March 2017
    Yes, i do think they are taking it too far.  I had enough of their jokes.  Its time to move on.
    aarongSaltyDog
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, what they are doing is absolutely going too far. This is the president, now it not just Teump, but President Trump.
    aarong
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • snlagsinstsnlagsinst 22 Pts   -  
    I see your point @biksa26 . I'm sorry to say that I disagree with your side or view. I agree with you in some ways, because he's the president. But, at the end of the day there is freedom of speech and that may take over.
  • lnhjalnhja 12 Pts   -  
    Yes, there taking it way too far. As a proud republican I am against these crazy liberal acts and entertainment or shows.
  • lawrunura_19lawrunura_19 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, I am not sure if it's really about your party, but it's about the act. This is really demoralizing towards our amazing president. What they are doing has too stop, maybe some body should make an official petition on it. Trump might sign it.
    8BitHippie
  • kegerkeger 3 Pts   -  
    No, they have something called freedom of speech.
    8BitHippie
  • shbrshbr 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, it's going way too far against Trump.
  • biksa26biksa26 29 Pts   -  
    @keger and @snlagsinst ;   respectfully, should freedom of speech also apply if they were to make antisemitic remarks?  There should be limits.  Media companies banned  PewDiePie YouTube personality for making those remarks, but they are attacking the President of the United States.  So we cannot defend an unqualified position that any media action is justified under a banned of " freedom of speech".  
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I agree that SNL is taking it too far. While they always picked at the other Presidents as well, the level of extreme here is inappropriate. I defended the media on the related debate here about the YouTuber PewDiePie making inappropriate remarks.  I will now defend the positon that SNL is taking it too far as well.

http://debateisland.com/discussion/490/pewdiepie-vs-wsj-re-anti-semitic-posts-and-nazi-imagery
    Live Long and Prosper
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    SNL hasn't been worth watching since Eddie Murphy left.
    aarong
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    I would also say it is taken a bit too far
  • Yes, they are taking it extremely far. They should not be demoralizing our amazing president. I say send them to Russia, they would probably all get killed by Vladimir Putin.
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    Sending them to Russia would be way to aggressive :) but I definitely agree about it being taken too far.  
  • reportsguyreportsguy 2 Pts   -  
    No, they should send them to Russia and Siberia. They would be shut down very quickly there. Freedom of Speech should not be taken advantage of.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    There is distinction between freedom of speech and media attacks supported by Anti-Trump liberal community. Many of these media outlets are managed and owned by Anti-Trump folks who make it a point to discredit Trump. although in most cases the motivation is quite simple - if people watch, get angry, debate, whatever - it drives ratings and revenue.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    SNL is funny, and luckily we have freedom of speech in this country.  
    Erfisflat
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Oh well, It's a free country  B)
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    WhyTrump
    Live Long and Prosper
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @agsr, this latest one is really funny. So are most of them.  I don't think SNL is doing anything inappropriate.
    companiesruen
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • companiesruencompaniesruen 7 Pts   -  
    I agree with @whytrump .
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @companiesruen, and whytrump
    I have to say that this latest one was really hilarious.  I was laughing out loud.  That said, I still disagree that SNL is taking to the extreme to make fun of the President of the United States.
    natbarons
    Live Long and Prosper
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    The latest one was funny, but still an insult to not only trump but the media as well.
  • SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    It's their right to do it but it further divides the country. they spin everything he does to make it bad, misinforming the audience
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @SaltyDog, I respectfully disagree. SNL is not doing anything wrong, but add humor to the situation. I think that Trump is the one who divides the country.
    SNL videos are so funny - I love the latest Spicer video. I can't believe he was hiding in the bushes from the reporters.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    they can be funny but it adds to the, "haha cheeto mussolini, DRUMPF!!!" group think that plagues social media
  • Reven851Reven851 26 Pts   -  
    I don't particularly like Trump as a president in general, and I thought that the first few bits they did on Trump were kind of funny, just like they did for all the presidents. But, at this point I'm so tired of the Trump satire on SNL all the time, they're just picking low hanging fruit instead of coming up with actually funny stuff and the joke has gotten stale and tasteless. I'm sure it also alienates a lot of viewers who support Trump and makes them seem obviously liberal when SNL has always tried to take a neutral stance on political issues.

So yeah, I think its and they should come up with something more original.
    agsrislander507
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @Reven851, I am also not a fan of Trump, but in my case I find SNL skids funny and appropriate.  They are not doing anything much different than making fun of other public figures, and we have a freedom of speech
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I think SNL is a perfect illustration of what Newt Gingrich said;

“The problem you have with humor in America today is that Hollywood is so enraged at Donald Trump that they can’t be funny,” Gingrich responded. “All they’ve got is pure anger.”

“They think it must be funny because they’re called comedians, so they exhibit their anger almost as a pathology on late-night television, and you’re supposed to laugh because after all they’re comedians,” he ranted.

“They ain’t funny because they’re too angry to be funny,” he summed up.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/07/gingrich-comedians-are-too-angry-to-be-funny-video/

islander507
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    It is the duty of the media to criticize the government as much as possible, so it has to walk on glass all the time and be mindful of what it is doing.

That said, when all they do is talk about Trump, ignoring the other 234789279384224 topics they could be exploring, then watching them becomes boring - I have not watched any political comedy shows in many months. One joke about Trump is funny, two jokes are funny, five jokes are acceptable... But when it is Trump-Trump-Trump 24/7, then it is time to switch to some other activities.

John Oliver is a rare exception, as his show features a pretty diverse range of subjects, including pretty obscure ones such as the animal rights in the farming industry. However, even he constantly makes jokes referring in some way to Trump.

The media seriously need to revise their repertoire. Otherwise, their narrative will become a self-fulfilling prophecy: the more they talk about Trump, the more sick people will be of these petty attacks and the more likely they will be to elect him again, just to spite the haters.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    If they are still getting viewers still like it and it only makes sense from a business perspective to keep doing it. 
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    He's the president. This comes with the territory. Don't watch the show if you don't like it. Better yet, throw out the teLIEvision altogether!

https://metaphysicsspeaks.com/illuminati-card-game-predicted-every-major-event-last-20-years-come/

https://voiceofpeopletoday.com/illuminati-card-game-trump/

Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    I personally could care less because I have my attention directed to other things. I think the Trump-bashing is annoying and that they should make a mockery of other politicians and leaders instead of bashing the president. All the things Hillary did, completely ignored by the media and SNL, but whenever Trump comes into the spotlight, here they are to pounce on him like ravenous wolves, resulting in further hatred and opposition towards the president and Trump supporters. It is a shame that they are like this, it is not good, SNL is a late night liberal propaganda machine, designed to entertain the anti-trump and other Trump oppositionists. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • No. Saturday Night Live did exactly what they are being told, lampooning against the most hated President in an American generation. I believe that as a free and independent country, it is worth mentioning about the fact that SNL has a tradition of mocking the lives of the Presidents of the United States. "Too far insulting" is nothing but an exaggeration.