frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Abortion Debate

Debate Information

Abortion Debate

Abortion Debate is likely one of the most controversial and personal topics, especially for women. Do women have right to choose or should abortions be made completely illegal?

ProCon Abortion Debate

Accumulated variety of quotes, articles, and videos on the topic of abortion debate
Also top 200 user comments on each side reflect a relatively split opinion on abortion debate

debate.org abortion Debate

53% voted pro and 47% against.  
17.6k members voted for abortion and 15.6k against abortion

abortion debate - wiki

The abortion debate is the ongoing controversy surrounding the moral and legal status of induced abortion. The sides involved in the debate are the self-described "pro-choice" movement (emphasizing the right of women to decide whether to terminate a pregnancy) and the self-described "pro-life" movement (emphasizing the right of the embryo or fetus to gestate to term and be born). Both terms are considered loaded in mainstream media, where terms such as "abortion rights" or "anti-abortion" are generally preferred. Each movement has, with varying results, sought to influence public opinion and to attain legal support for its position, with small numbers of anti-abortion advocates sometimes using violence.

For many people, abortion is essentially a moral issue, concerning the commencement of human personhood, the rights of the fetus, and a woman's rights over her own body. The debate has become a political and legal issue in some countries with anti-abortion campaigners seeking to enact, maintain and expand anti-abortion laws, while abortion rights campaigners seeking the repeal or easing of such laws while expanding access to abortion. Abortion laws vary considerably between jurisdictions, ranging from outright prohibition of the procedure to public funding of abortion. Availability of safe abortion also varies across the world.

Abortion Debate -  catholic

If you are looking for a moderated catholic biblical debate

Abortion Debate - ThoughtCo

Lists top arguments for both sides of abortion debate

Abortion debate -  in the recent news

abortion debate in Kansas 

Kansas might chart its own legal path on abortion through a lawsuit that could turn a state in which the anti-abortion movement has won a long string of legislative victories into fairly friendly territory for abortion rights.

Abortion Debate WacoTrib
WacoTrib published an opinion post on abortion debate

Pro-Life Waco director John Pisciotta’s March 14 letter rambled in nonsensical yammerings. In his world, he seems to always forget abortion continues to be a legal procedure in the United States and Texas.

White Crosses Spark Abortion Debate On Campus

BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4)– Response to a controversial display at the University of Colorado in Boulder caused campus police to monitor the debate that at times turned emotional on Thursday.

An anti-abortion student organization at CU says someone vandalized its on-campus display, after a student who disagreed with the demonstration allegedly stole several crosses.

DebateIslandjoecavalryanonymousdebater
  1. Live Poll

Abortion Debate

8 votes
    1. Prochoice - right to choose
      50.00%
    2. ProLife - against abortion
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    Fundamentally, right to choose is a key right for women in this country. 
    That is a personal decision and should be made by each person, not government.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Abortion is the right of women. ProChoice is my vote.
    as per top 3 proCon arguments:
    The US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a "fundamental right" guaranteed by the US Constitution

Reproductive choice empowers women by giving them control over their own bodies.

Personhood begins after a fetus becomes "viable" (able to survive outside the womb) or after birth, not at conception.

The key is "viable", and the major argument for ProLife side is that viable starts as early as start of pregnancy.  Then the argument can be stretched that use of contraceptives and birth control is also murder.  The world we live in is not black and white, We Need to draw a line at some level of where life begins that is considered human.  Some extremist even argue that they want to give chimps human rights and taking that to Supreme Court.
    Everyone should have a right where they are comfortable drawing the line of life.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Pro-life

@love2debate ;
    The fetus deserves personhood.

@ale5
    If it is not black and white, then there is a chance that abortion is murder.
    I'm with this guy.  I think the debate is largely leaving out or outright denying the possibility that you're talking about murdering an unborn child.  The arguments against a fetus being a living human being are weak at best and seem to just dismiss the point rather than argue it legitimately...I have the feeling this is because if it was argued legitimately...at some point there would be an admission that these fetuses are living people.

So long as we can all pretend that an unborn child isn't a living human being...we can justify killing it by arguing that "It's the Woman's body".  
    anonymousdebater
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Abortion should not be allowed due to it killing unborn babies.
    anonymousdebaterVaulk
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • Abortion is a word that cover-ups what it really means. To end a life. It is not anyone's RIGHT to end another's life. That does not make any sense and goes against common sense we are taught in society. 

A child is made up of both a man and woman. A man can not choose. We all did not CHOOSE to be who we are. 

We all do have a right to life no matter what religion, gender, sex, or ethnicity. 
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    @aortizcazarin18 It does not go against common sense, society doesn't exactly teach that, especially when in the news we see soldiers being killed and killing people, police killing and being killed, etc. Killing, being killed and death has always been a part of society and even though we explicitly say we should respect another right to live, as a society we don't really show that with our actions, which speak louder than words. We cannot justify one type of killing but then, not only deny a woman's right to her own body, but all of a sudden defend the right to life. When a woman aborts she is a monster but when a soldier comes back home having killed people (in many occasions, not in all) he is a hero.  
  • whiteflamewhiteflame 689 Pts   -  
    Feels like this is always the argument I see from hardcore pro-life people: abortion is murder because it ends a life. To an extent, I get this argument because there is a level of squeamishness surrounding the loss of any human life, and the idea that we should end a life that has begun to form into what could eventually be an infant sounds pretty awful on its face. I don't think that anyone, even on the pro-choice side of this debate, would argue that losing more fetuses is helping society as a whole, beyond some rather weak arguments about overpopulation.

However, by framing the debate in this way, people are oversimplifying what is clearly a far more complex issue. We have multiple lives involved, and while many of you would probably disagree about this, a loss of quality of life can reasonably be weighed against the loss of a potential life (e.g. a fetus). The argument that abortion is simply murder and nothing more dismisses the effects on the mother and, yes, the father as well. I'm not saying that these concerns always outweigh, or that they even outweigh in a majority of cases, only that they may sometimes reasonably compete with values concerning the continued existence of the developing life.

We could also get into the question of when a human life truly begins, as I think the idea that killing a zygote is inherently wrong pushes the question of what makes a zygote a human being. There's a very reasonable discussion to be had over when a human life truly begins, and the idea that a fetus or embryo is functionally equivalent to an infant born into the world alive is not an established fact. While I think there's inherent value to that life, it seems to me that if pro-life people wish to make this characterization, they have to establish at what point and for what reason a set of cells becomes a human being. 

It seems to me that simply calling abortion "murder" oversimplifies a very complex issue, though I'd be interested in hearing why the above problems are unimportant.
  • SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -  
    @inc4t
    Lets look at definitions some definitions okay?  Clearly a fetus is a human being...right?
    fetus -  An unborn or unhatched offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human more than eight weeks after conception. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fetus

embryo - An unborn or unhatched offspring in the process of development, in particular a human offspring during the period from approximately the second to the eighth week after fertilization.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/embryo

Clearly with regard to human reproduction, a fetus and an embryo is a human being.  They have human DNA making them human, and they are living beings making them living human beings.  Thus a human fetus and a human embryo are both living human beings.  That alone should be sufficient.  From the moment the human female ovum is fertilized we have before us a developing human being.  According to the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology "A human embryo is a discrete entity"

In this short little sentence we see that the embryo is human, and we see that the embryo is a discrete entity.  So what does it mean to be discrete?
    discrete - individually separate and distinct. 
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/discrete
    I recommend reviewing this link, as it will shed greater light on the subject.

An embryo is individually separate and distinct from all other living beings.  It is not it's mother because we know it has completely different DNA.  It is a living thing, a living individual human being, an individual that is helpless without the nutrients and care its mother can provide.  

Now, you had said, "a fetus is not a person because it is not an individual yet".
    Clearly you are wrong.  As I have shown the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology identifies and defines a human embryo as a discrete (individual) entity.

If it is an entity...If it is human, and if it is individual, then it is an individual human entity...and my dear friend...that is the definition of a person.  

person - "A human being regarded as an individual." (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/person)
    I personally regard a human fetus as not only a human being, but also individuals that happen to be unborn.  They are indeed dependent on others for their survival, but so is a todler.  It's very likely that without other human beings, you'd have a very difficult time surviving as well.  

Now please tell me why you approve of killing innocent and helpless unborn human beings.  Or in other words, why do you think it's okay to kill helpless innocent people?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5969 Pts   -  
    There are three main arguments against abortion I have seen, and they all appear to be extremely illogical. I will explain why by continuing each argument to its logical end and showing how unreasonable that end is.

1. "Unborn baby is a human being, hence aborting it is a murder."
    A decaying corpse on a graveyard is also a human being; should we, based on that, consider cremation of corpses a murder? No, there is a bit more to the "human beings" to which the term "murder" is applicable, and neither human corpses nor unborn human babies qualify.

2. "We must give a chance to the unborn baby to live."
    Every time a man masturbates, the product of this act could become a living human being. Hence banning abortion based on this reasoning would be the same as banning masturbation not followed by reproduction. I do not think even the most hardcore pro-life activists would agree with this, hence this position is not self-consistent.

3. "The child is the God's gift and should not be wasted."
    Aside from the problem of religion colliding with the law in a country with no official religion, this reasoning also strongly depends on the personal religious views. Personal views should never dictate the law for everyone, as agreed by our republican system, hence this argument is moot.

All-in-all, the debate about abortion seems to be very similar to the debate about GMO or vaccines: conservative people afraid of any evolution in the society try to prevent this evolution by promoting outdated values. I do not see much ground for a serious debate here. Basic logical analysis of the situation concludes that legalizing abortion is the only action that our political system and core values reasonably allow. People are free to make their individual decisions on whether to resort to abortion or not, but they should not dictate others how to act, even if they strongly disagree with the course of action taken.