frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

ProCon gun control debate

Debate Information

ProCon Gun Control

http://gun-control.procon.org provides lots of information for both sides of the gun control debate.
There are 15 quotes offers for sources of each side of the debate.

The debate centers around if more gun control laws should be enacted in the United States.

United States has over 88 guns per each 100 people as of 2012 according to Small Arms Survey.  That is far more than any other developed nation, with Norway as second highest at about only 31.

Similarly we have far more homicides resulting from firearms than any other developed nation.

The public opinion on this has been mostly split.

Gun Control Debate Washington Post

WashingtonPost quoted a gun control poll that was very close

Gun Control Debate NY Times
NyTimes published a gun control article in nov 2015

“Gun control” is a broad term that covers any sort of restriction on what kinds of firearms can be sold and bought, who can possess or sell them, where and how they can be stored or carried, what duties a seller has to vet a buyer, and what obligations both the buyer and the seller have to report transactions to the government.

Sometimes, the term is also used to cover related matters, like limits on types of ammunition and magazines, or technology, like the type that allows guns to fire only when gripped by their owners.

In recent years, gun control debates have focused primarily on background checks for buyers, allowing people to carry weapons in public, and whether to allow the possession of assault rifles.

Debate org gun control debate

68% supported gun rights vs 32% supporting gun control

ProCon Gun Control debates

ProCon Gun Control Debate 1

What is protected by 2nd amendment for gun ownership?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 2

Is there evidence that suggests that tighter gun control prevents deaths?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 3

Do high capacity magazines turn into murder weapons?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 4

do more gun control laws help women from abusers or prevent those who use it for hunting or sport?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 5

Are guns used in self defense, and do gun controls really help to prevent it from getting to criminals?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 6

Are guns frequently stolen and used by criminals, and do gun control laws give too much power to the government?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 7

Do gun control laws lower societal cost of gun violence or violate our privacy?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 8

Do most people agree on common sense gun control such as background checks, or is gun control even needed since only a few people are killed by guns

ProCon Gun Control Debate 9

Does gun control prevent suicides?

ProCon Gun Control Debate10

Is gun safety best served by gun safety law measures or better education?

ProCon Gun Control Debate11

do guns make conflicts more violent of help to resist foreign invaders?

ProCon Gun Control Debate12

Do armed civilians help with or hurt in dangerous situations, and since gun control is ineffective in Mexico, will it be effective in USA?

ProCon Gun Control Debate13

does gun control help with suicide/homicide rate or is gun control racist?

ProCon Gun Control Debate 14

did Second amendment mean to protect only rights of militias, or also individuals who can potentially participate in militia?

ProCon Gun Control Debate15

should civilians (including hunters) own military grade fire arms or accessories, or did gun control efforts so far proved ineffective?
DebateIsland
  1. Live Poll

ProCon Gun Control Debate - Are You Supportive of gun control

24 votes
    1. Yes - I am pro gun control
      45.83%
    2. No - I am against gun control
      54.17%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I am generally pro gun control, but not supportive of focusing on fire arms ban as a high priority at this time.  I believe that criminals will still find a way to procure firearms illegally (that is why they are criminals), and I didn't see conclusive evidence that suggests otherwise.
    it is an excellent debate summary on gun control, enabling us to focus on key points. ProCon.org  is a good source of information.

To specifically address each of the ProCon points.

ProCon Gun Control Debate 1 - What is protected by 2nd amendment for gun ownership?
    I believe it doesn't provide unlimited protection rights for gun onwership

ProCon Gun Control Debate 2 - Is there evidence that suggests that tighter gun control prevents deaths?
    I don't believe we have seen conclusive evidence, although it is intuitive 

ProCon Gun Control Debate 3 - Do high capacity magazines turn into murder weapons?
    Yes
    ProCon Gun Control Debate 4 - do more gun control laws help women from abusers or prevent those who use it for hunting or sport?
    Help women from abusers

ProCon Gun Control Debate 5 - Are guns used in self defense, and do gun controls really help to prevent it from getting to criminals?
    Help somewhat from getting to criminals

ProCon Gun Control Debate 6 - Are guns frequently stolen and used by criminals, and do gun control laws give too much power to the government?
    Can be stolen and given to criminals

ProCon Gun Control Debate 7 - Do gun control laws lower societal cost of gun violence or violate our privacy?
    Lower cost

ProCon Gun Control Debate 8 - Do most people agree on common sense gun control such as background checks, or is gun control even needed since only a few people are killed by guns?
    Background checks are a good idea

ProCon Gun Control Debate 9 - Does gun control prevent suicides?
    Yes

ProCon Gun Control Debate10 - Is gun safety best served by gun safety 
    law measures or better education?
    Both

ProCon Gun Control Debate11 - do guns make conflicts more violent of help to resist foreign invaders?
    More conflicts

ProCon Gun Control Debate12 - Do armed civilians help with or hurt in dangerous situations, and since gun control is ineffective in Mexico, will it be effective in USA?
    We are not Mexico

ProCon Gun Control Debate13 - does gun control help with suicide/homicide rate or is gun control racist?
    Gun control is not racist and it helps with homicide and suicide rates

ProCon Gun Control Debate 14 - did Second amendment mean to protect only rights of militias, or also individuals who can potentially participate in militia?
    Just militias 

ProCon Gun Control Debate15 - should civilians (including hunters) own military grade fire arms or accessories, or did gun control efforts so far proved ineffective?
    Military grade should be highly limited

Live Long and Prosper
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I agree with gun control as well.  There was also a recent related debate.
    Should The US Ban The Ownership of Fire Arms?
    http://www.debateisland.com/discussion/comment/1149/#Comment_1149

@newsletterliker8272@CYDdharta@skndk_10837@woiut_1212@royagrijseraj  

• WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    ProCon Gun control provides compelling arguments.
    i am against gun control.  I don't feel it will be effective against criminals, as they will find a way to get access anyway.

I agree with ProCon gun control argument 13 (con) that it is also racist. 

Gun control laws are racist.

Current gun control laws are frequently aimed at inner city, poor, black communities who are perceived as more dangerous than white gun owners Charles Gallagher, MA, PhD, the Chair of Sociology at LaSalle University, stated that some gun control laws are still founded on racial fears.

SaltyDogGeorge_Horsecheesycheesepiloteer
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • adepadep 3 Pts   -  
    It has to be Put in place.
    cheesycheese
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Gun control by the government is an example of big brother. I think that in many cases there is just not sufficient evidence that gun control will help to deter wrong people from getting access to illegal weapons.

if you review all the listed procon gun control arguments, I am not sure that you can objectively state that government stepping in the right solution.
    cheesycheese
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @ale5 , gun control in United states is much less than other countries.  If you look at the chart provided in the debate, our guns per person ratio is exponentially higher than other countries.

Your argument for less gun control is based on "insufficient evidence" that it will help. While I agree that in many cases criminals will still get access, and also those folks who hunt, or carry weapon for whatever reason will be annoyed - for majority of the country it will help us sleep better at night knowing that there are stricter gun controls out there.
    cheesycheese
    Live Long and Prosper
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    @agsr If polls are to be believed, only the barest of a majority would sleep better.  The latest data I can find is a McClatchy-Maris Poll (July 5-9, 2016) - 46% to 45% in favor of more gun control with a margin of error of +/- 3%.  I question the accuracy of the poll because, like Trump voter, gun owners tend to avoid polls.  Many don't like telling people they own a gun.
    cheesycheese
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Hi @CYDdharta , your point regarding poll bias for gun holders is valid and insightful. Excellent anology with gun holders and Trump voters!

Generally, I know that gun control vs gun rights is a highly contentious issue, and It is unclear if there is any strong evidence one way or the other.

I also realize that such a contentious issue is too risky for politicians to take on as they risk losing one-issue voters in either direction.
    i argue the point of gun control from personal standpoint. I don't like guns and don't think it is safe too have relatively easy access to guns.  So I would rather restrict it as much as possible.  
    Since arguments on both sides are compelling, without definitive data that proves any side wrong, I would say that I am most concerned that US has such a high raitio of guns per person and dont understand why that is warranted.
    if it would be up to me, I would opt much stricter gun controls, but then again I live in a large city, don't have any interest to hunt, don't go to a shooting range, or carry a gun to protect my business.  

cheesycheese
    Live Long and Prosper

@agsr ; I'd say politicians don't really have a choice in the matter.  If the issue comes up, they have to decide which side they will take. 

Crime has already gone down as the number of privately held firearms has risen.  I believe that trend would pick up speed if more law-abiding citizens took responsibility for their own protection. 

I grew up in the suburbs around guns and hunters.  I carry for self protection.  I've been around anti-gunners and heard their arguments; I just don't think it holds water.  I have to ask, have you spent much time around gun owners?  Have you tried to understand their culture?  Do you understand where they are coming from?

The ProCon site isn't bad, but they miss a primary argument against gun control.  Most crime is committed by recidivists.  If we take them off the streets, they won't be able to commit more crimes.  Gun crimes in particular are never prosecuted, at best they're used in plea bargaining.  If the laws that are already on the books were enforced, crime would go down.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta , While I am not a gun owner, I know a few and discussed this topic. i would say that it will be difficult for most non-gun owers to fully understand the culture of gun ownership.  
    My opinion is that manjority of non-gun owners will be more comfortable for tighter gun controls, as it is percieved as dangerous.
    Those who were victims (or know someone personally) of any violence that was related to gun ownership will take a much stronger position pro Gun Control.

procon gun control site
    http://gun-control.procon.org
    provides both quotes and comments from community supporting both sites, I think they represent wide spectrum of opinion on the gun control debate.
    regardless if gun crimes are persecuted or not, I think there are plenty of crimes involving illegal pocession.
    Live Long and Prosper

@agsr ; I respectfully disagree that victims of violent crime will undoubtedly endorse gun control.  Many crime victims become NRA members and ardent opponents gun control.  The police can't be everywhere; the old adage 'when seconds count, the police are just minutes away'.  They want the ability to be able to defend themselves.  Gun laws, like all laws, don't affect the lawless, only the law-abiding.  Gun control won't save them from suffering at the hands of a criminal, but being able to defend themselves might.

If gun crimes, like crimes involving illegal possession aren't being prosecuted, how can they act as an effective deterrent?  What is their point?

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta , that is a fair point regarding victims of gun violence. Perhaps some will turn to your point towards getting a gun themselves for protection, while others will turn further away from gun ownership and will advocate against gun rights.

either way, it is a personal preference.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • ronertusterronertuster 13 Pts   -  
    I am with the Republicans, gun control needs to be reduced, but not too much.
    cheesycheeseNathaniel_B
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    Gun control talks are expected to renew, given another night club shooting at Cincinnati.  
    A related debate at DebateIsland is here:

Is Cincinnati Nightclub shooting going to add an argument for Gun Control proponents?

http://www.debateisland.com/discussion/617/is-cincinnati-nightclub-shooting-going-to-add-an-argument-for-gun-control-proponents

after orlando night club shooting last June, before the election, gun control debate took center stage.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/politics/orlando-shooting-gun-control-islamic-terrorism/

I expect that gun control debate to pick up again.  Controlling access to weapons will continue to be a hot topic, and I advocate that we should look to put in place tighter regulations.

Given Trump's endorsement of NRA, I don't expect significant change in that area.   
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    The issue is that as @CYDdharta  pointed out in the other post about  night club shooting, is that takimg a firm stand on gun control issue is guaranteed for politician to lose their support base.  
    If someone feels strongly about gun rights and a politician is strongly supportive of gun control then it becomes a show-stopper for many so called "single-issue voters".  That is why Democrats are not pushing too hard for gun control to further lose support.
    Similarly Trump will not push for it either, as he needs all the support he can get, and doesnt want to upset so NRA or many of its supporters.
    I personally think we can benefit from somewhat tighter gun controls, but since it is so unrealistic to address anytime soon, I think politicians will just leave it alone.
  • dueceladuecela 2 Pts   -  
    I am both For and against this fascinating issue. On one side, gun control is needed for public safery. Although, guns could be considered a right by some.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @duecela , your point about gun control being a fascinating issue is accurate.  Looking at ProCon gun control, there is so much supporting evidence for both sides.  One side argues for gun control vs the other side for gun rights.  
    I am taking a position against gun control, because without strong evidence that it will resolve the issue to reduce crime, we are just giving government more unnecessary control and introducing more beurocracy 
    - Walt Disney
  • MattInFlaMattInFla 3 Pts   -  
    I'm just going to leave this here.

"Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people. " - Penn Jillette

cheesycheese
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    @MattInFla, I agree with you. Politically, disasters are always opportunities for politicians. Look at the 9-11
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    While we can argue if stricter gun control would have helped with the latest night club shooting, I don't think anyone will debate that pro gun control would make that gun shooting less probable.
    we just have way too many guns in US, and should seriously consider more controls.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    trump is pro gun control either directly or indirectly. The gun sales are negatively effected.

President Trump’s election appears to be negatively affecting gun sales in the U.S. and the bubble appears to be bursting despite a staunch advocate for gun rights in the White House and Republicans ruling Congress.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/01/without-obama-once-booming-gun-industry-poised-to-shrink.amp.html
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Every citizen should be allowed to protect himself.
    ale5cheesycheeseAmericanFurryBoy
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @Logic, I agree
    cheesycheese
    - Walt Disney
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    I do not agree with gun control. I do not think it will be the best form of preventing gun violence, there are already propositions to ban the AR-15, for which I strongly am against.
    cheesycheeseNathaniel_BPolaris95
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    I do not agree with gun control. I do not think it will be the best form of preventing gun violence, there are already propositions to ban the AR-15, for which I strongly am against.
    why are you against it if somebody walks into a room with a gun you don't need an AR-15 to stop them you just need a fast acting tranquilizer or are you arguing because of freedom
    AmericanFurryBoyGeorge_HorseNathaniel_B
  • I do not agree with gun control. I do not think it will be the best form of preventing gun violence, there are already propositions to ban the AR-15, for which I strongly am against.
    why are you against it if somebody walks into a room with a gun you don't need an AR-15 to stop them you just need a fast acting tranquilizer or are you arguing because of freedom
    Tranquilizers are more expensive. Also, it would be more likely for ou to carry a Glock then a tranquilizer gun. The GLock is also more effective
    George_Horse
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    Jesus said "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword." What do you think He would say about guns? My right to live outweighs your right to shoot me. 
    George_HorseNathaniel_Bcheesycheese
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited October 2018

Why would anyone be for it?  We've already tried a ban on AR-15s and similar firearms and found it to be useless at reducing crime.
    cheesycheese
    Jesus said "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword." What do you think He would say about guns? My right to live outweighs your right to shoot me. 

Your quote really doesn't apply to this topic.  No one disagrees that criminals (those that "live by the sword") should not be allowed to own firearms, which is why that is already illegal.  This is a debate about gun control.  The vast majority of the time, targets of gun control measures are law abiding citizens, people who don't "live by the sword".  You're right to choose to be defenseless doesn't outweigh my right to choose to be able to defend myself.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    If it wasn't for my suicidal tendencies I would buy a gun in an instant. With that said I would still want to own a gun not because I think "criminals would still get them even if it's illegal," the economics in the black market change and that's a whole separate discussion. But I would want a legal gun to go against the "tough people" who want to threaten me with a knife or to fight me, or scream and follow me in traffic, to deter them and make them realise that they aren't really as tough as they want to think.

If you want tutu curb gun deaths you need to make ALL guns illegal as over 90% of gun deaths are caused by pistols. So a rifle ban does nothing, and in Chicago background checks do nothing because you get the people who can pass the check, typically in the suburbs, buy guns then sell them to those in the "hood" at a marked up price, entirely circumventing the point of a background check. It's really not that hard to turn a legally purchased firearm into something untraceable.

If we have legal firearms we should absolutely expand what we cab purchase. I would love to fire an rpg without having to travel to my friends family in pakistan and most likely be put on a list for that. It should be all or nothing. At the very least each state should have access to own the same equipment as the military since the second amendment was for stayes to field a militia capable of challenging the federal government.

Finally, not as an argument for either side but just a relevant point, no revolution in history, that I know of, has ever been successful without the support of either a domestic or foreign professional military. So no civilian band of armed rebels would be successful in my opinion.
    Nathaniel_Bcheesycheese
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    I believe that the right of a citizen to own the same set of tools as the government does is the only possible way to satisfy the requirement that the government is to be "by the people for the people". If the government is allowed to own something a citizen is not, then this government does not represent that citizen.

I am not sure if I am legally allowed to buy a gun as an immigrant in the US. I am not crazy about guns overall and do not see the need for myself to own one in my everyday life - but I do think that the right to own one is essential for a thriving liberal republic, even if I personally choose not to exercise that right.
    Applesauce
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    You're not serious are you?  :joy: The only time someone should shoot you is when you are trying to harm or kill someone else. 
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:

Why would anyone be for it?  We've already tried a ban on AR-15s and similar firearms and found it to be useless at reducing crime.
    Here is a Wikipedia extract
    The Port Arthur massacre of 28–29 April 1996 was a mass shooting in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded in Port Arthur, Tasmania. The murderer, Martin Bryant, had a subnormal IQ and intellectual disabilities. He pleaded guilty for the incident and was given 35 life sentences without possibility of parole. It was one of the deadliest mass shootings in Australian history. Fundamental changes of gun control laws within Australia followed the incident. The case is regarded to be amongst the most notable massacres in Australia's history.[3]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)
    Since then there have been no mass shooting in australis
    Polaris95
    @CYDdharta Yes it does. I have the right to live. My right to live outweighs your right to shoot me. My body, my right to choose. You don't have the right to shoot me.

Here is a Wikipedia extract
    The Port Arthur massacre of 28–29 April 1996 was a mass shooting in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded in Port Arthur, Tasmania. The murderer, Martin Bryant, had a subnormal IQ and intellectual disabilities. He pleaded guilty for the incident and was given 35 life sentences without possibility of parole. It was one of the deadliest mass shootings in Australian history. Fundamental changes of gun control laws within Australia followed the incident. The case is regarded to be amongst the most notable massacres in Australia's history.[3]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

Shooting deaths had been going down before Australia passed it's gun ban, and the trend continued at the same pace afterwards.  Their ban was utterly useless, or as the Univ of Sydney study puts it;

Using a battery of structural break tests, there is little evidence to suggest that it [National Firearms Agreement] had any significant effects on firearm homicides and suicides.
    Although gun buybacks appear to be a logical and sensible policy that helps to placate the public’s fears, the evidence so far suggests that in the Australian context, the high expenditure incurred to fund the 1996 gun buyback has not translated into any tangible reductions in terms of firearm deaths.

Since then there have been no mass shooting in australis
    I don't know about australis, but it hasn't even be half a year since the last mass shooting in Australia.

@CYDdharta Yes it is. I have the absolute right to live. You DON'T have the right to shoot me. This is MY body, and my RIGHT to choose. You DON'T have the right to MY body. You just lost the right to call yourself prolife. Love the fetus, hate the BORN person. Hypocrite.
    cheesycheese