frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

YouTube monetization

Debate Information

YouTube monetization
Is It a fair policy, and is Youtube unfairly applying it's policy to remove ads from videos it deems inappropriate?
in the latest wave of YouTube de-monetization bans, many videos are removed due to inappropriate content.  But is it really inappropriate?
in this example, why are videos about women anti-abuse demonetized ?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/21/youtube-google-advertising-policies-controversial-content
'I can’t trust YouTube any more': creators speak out in Google advertising row

Inconsistencies behind the company’s ability to police advertising on controversial content are coming to light
The company last week pledged to change its advertising policies after several big brands pulled their budgets from YouTube following an investigation
 that revealed their ads were shown alongside extremist content, such as videos promoting terrorism or antisemitism.

In a related debate on DebateIsland, we debated a prior incident of Youtube de-monitizing PewDiePie channel.

PewDiePie vs WSJ re Anti-Semitic posts and Nazi imagery
http://www.debateisland.com/discussion/490/pewdiepie-vs-wsj-re-anti-semitic-posts-and-nazi-imagery

That one in my opinion was a good move by YouTube.

YouTube explains how to monetize it's content. It sounds so easy.

To earn money from your videos:

1. Join the YouTube Partner Program
  2. Set up an AdSense account
  3. Choose the videos you want to monetize
Right there YouTube explains YouTube monetization policy, even provinding examples of what will be removed.

Your video is not eligible if it contains content that you didn't create or get permission from its creator to use. You need to be able to show written permission for the following video elements:

• Audio: copyrighted sound recordings, live performances, background music, etc.
  • Visuals: images, logos, software, etc.
  • Any other content you don't own worldwide commercial usage rights to.

Examples of videos that are NOT eligible

• Your video contains a song you purchased for personal use (e.g., bought on iTunes or in a store) but didn't obtain a commercial license.
  • You found a video on the Internet and you cannot prove that it's in the public domain.
  • You are singing words of your favorite copyrighted song and there is copyrighted audio in the background, such as instrumental or karaoke tracks.
  • You have used content from someone else without permission, but you haven't yet received a copyright notice on your video.
  • Your video does not provide proper attribution or credits as required by a license.

If your video is not eligible, it may be removed from YouTube.

YouTube also has a help page dedicated to the YouTube monetization policy

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/97527?hl=en

Examples of content that may be eligible for monetization

• You filmed your cat and there is no background music.
  • Your video contains royalty-free music, and you can prove commercial use rights using a direct link to its terms.
  • Your friend created content for your video and states in writing that you may use and make money from it.
  • You created original music yourself and are not signed to a label.

Examples of content that would NOT be eligible for monetization

• Your video has music you purchased on iTunes or content you taped off of television.
  • You edit together a compilation of content created by others.
  • Content with violence and/or nudity meant to shock and disgust.

This is not the first time that Youtube monetization policy is questioned.
last year, there was another waive of bans.

YouTube De-Monetization Explained

https://medium.com/internet-creators-guild/youtube-de-monetization-explained-44464f902a22#.crg95drxx
De-Monetization began in 2012, but YouTube only began notifying creators this week. Does that make things better? Or does it make things worse?

In 2012, YouTube began de-monetizing videos based on new advertising-friendly guidelines. This was not done by people, but by an algorithm that looked at the metadata of videos and other factors to decide whether it was likely to be something an advertiser wouldn’t want to be associated with.

Over the last five years, this algorithm has regularly removed videos from the pool of advertised-upon content. The algorithm’s parameters were broadened in 2015 specifically to catch more content relating to terrorism.

My position.

I argue that Youtube monetization policy is inconsistent. Many people rely on this monetization to encourage them to produce videos. If youtube is so random in their policy, that will hurt their ecosystem as they compete with large media companies for viewers.

DebateIsland
  1. Live Poll

YouTube monetization fair?

11 votes
    1. YouTube monetization policies are fair - Yes
      54.55%
    2. YouTube monetization policies are inconsistent and unfair - No
      45.45%
  2. Live Poll

Will YouTube monetization policy hurt YouTube growth

11 votes
    1. Yes - YouTube monetization policy will hurt its growth
      81.82%
    2. No - YouTube monetization policy will not hurt its growth
      18.18%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
  • canycany 12 Pts   -  
    The policies are fair. Although, some You tubes such as Casey Neistat say that the community is not being told about some changes and changes to its policies. As a YouTube myself, with almost 2,000,000 subscribers, I do agree with his point of view in some ways. I am informed of changes through email, although not too many details are being put out within those short emails. YouTube does need to improve communications, but with such a. Large community I understand why they are having issues doing so. Also, I love the website and am considering spreading it with my audience.
  • menergueetzjmenergueetzj 27 Pts   -  
    Their policies are pretty good as of now.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @cany, as a major youTuber, thank you for sharing your perspective on the YouTube monitization policy. 
    I think that it's important to realize that YouTube and Google are not just making up these restrictions because they feel like it.  It is to protect the value they deliver to their Adveritisers and to ensure that advertisers don't get upset. In the latest news this week, AT&T pulled out from Google ads in outrage that some of AT&T ads by Google appeared at content with terrorist implications.  Similarly in the infamous youTuber PewDiePie (50 million subscriber base), major advertisers put pressure on YouTube to pull adds from his videos due to perceived anti-Semitic remarks.
    So I think that in general YouTube monitization policies are reasonably fair, although it seems very unfair to those whose videos are de-monitized.  In some cases YouTube may be wrong and unreasonable, because they likely error on a side of caution to protect adveritiser interests.

The big lesson is to diversify revenue streams to those relying solely on Google or YouTube ads revenue.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Increased pressure on Google ads and YouTube. monetization from advertisers who expect google to police its distribution network will have profound impact on long term network growth.  
    Since Google has to rely on automated processes, this week they banned many Youtube videos from monetization and caused anger outbreaks outbreaks among content producers.
    I think tneir policy is still fair, given the pressure, but it puts Google in a difficult situation of how to balance network growth with happy advertisers.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • The policies seem good.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    A week after the initial concerns regarding Google and YouTube monetization, the issue is futher escalating and many advertisers are losing confidence in YouTube ability to ensure their ads are not appearing as part of controversial content.
    $26 billion of market capitalization has been erased from Google this week.
    the UK terrorist attack incident further infuriated many major brands when they found out that theirs ads are displayed in content supporting terrorists.
    While YouTube monetization is under direct attack and YouTube is working on a better solution of screening content, with many false positives and false negatives, in many cases some videos are wrongfully removed and some YouTube videos with racial slurs and inappropriate content continue to be monetized.
    Analysts initially estimated that it will have a revenue impact this year of maybe $200-300MM, but now are thinking it may be as high as a billion dollar impact.
    Youtube monetization will ultimately get tweaked as Google improves its algorithm and hires more staff to review videos, but impact of this PR is very apparent.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • I feel that people other than toutubesrs can't understand the situation as well as they can. Although, I believe that Toutube does a great job, the toutubers may not.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Actually Google investors and analysts are reacting really negative to this, discounting Google/YouTube future prospects.
    the model of YouTube monetization is being questioned. YouTubers who didn't get demonitized now need to be extra careful to ensure their videos don't get and they get cut off from their critical revenue stream.
    Live Long and Prosper