frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is the media really anti-trump?

Debate Information

Trump claims that the media is against him, but is it really?
  1. Live Poll

?

22 votes
    1. Yes
      86.36%
    2. No
      13.64%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
44%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• lagsbn_qodjlagsbn_qodj 4 Pts   -  
    I believe that the media is in fact against him.
    George_Horse
  • I think that they are.
    George_Horse
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I have to agree.  Media continues to show Trump in a very negative light.  I think to them it maybe motivated by two factors:
    1) political view differences
    2) helps ratings to show him in this light
    Live Long and Prosper
  • lmcaakk_2029lmcaakk_2029 13 Pts   -  
    That's a great point. I think that media is anti Trump.
    George_Horse
  • Yes, Donald Trump is largely targeted by the media.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Maybe that is what Trump wants us to believe.  He is making himself a victim, where reality is that he maybe doing that on purpose to draw attention away from his actions..making it sound like he is targeted.  Media is just doing their job.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    Media follows the ratings. trump provides ratings.  Media makes money.  Why wouldn't they continue?
  • kamb_30391kamb_30391 12 Pts   -  
    The media is against him.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  

Sharyl Attkisson just came up with a media bias chart I found interesting;

islander507George_HorseAgility_Dude
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    I really have to agree with @CYDdharta . He made a fantastic point.
    George_Horse
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta , great chart.  I actually thought that WSJ is a bit more left, but come to think about it is probably correct as she has it
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • fromtwittee82fromtwittee82 2 Pts   -  
    Yes, they are against him.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    I don't agree that media is "against Trump".  Clearly with Trump there is a lot to talk about and since he polarized the country it is easy to see why he would be criticized by many.  I understand that he also has many supporters who "love him unconditionally", so that polarization of opinion about Trump carries through the media.  
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • syriastrikesyriastrike 3 Pts   -  
    Yes, they are definitely against Trump and his administration.
    George_Horse
    @WhyTrump ; I don't think you can legitimately blame polarization on Trump, in fact, you can't blame it on any one person, group, party, etc.  It takes two to tango, as the saying goes.  The country was polarized under Obama as well.
    George_Horse
    What I find distressing is how few organizations are in the center.  What I find interesting is how recently many of the organizations on the right have been established.  It looks like most are from 2000 on.
    George_Horse
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, I think that center is minority and media makes money by feeding on controversy.  I think your observation is good, and I think that this phenomenon is driven by commercial reality of that industry.
    Live Long and Prosper
    @agsr ; I somewhat disagree with your assessment.  I believe media organizations cater to their audiences, but there is a huge outcry for unbiased and honest reporting.  That's what drives interest in the chart in the first place.  I think a media organization that seriously tried to maintain integrity and balance would fill a commercially viable niche.
    George_Horse
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I agree @CYDdharta , that will be a good idea. While there are large media outlets that cater to the large population of left and right, center remains an unfilled niche. 
    Lets not underestimate though the power of click bait titles and generated controversy by The Washington DC drama that drives subscriptions.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    Yes they are. They are rarely to report on the good things that the president does.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    The media generally do not like people who call every criticism towards them "fake news" and threaten to sue everyone who dared to question their competency. Especially the media in liberal democracies, where journalists are the first line of defense against corruption and usurpation of power. So of course the US media, in general, will be very aggressive, towards him.

Not all of them, however. Many media companies are happy to close their eyes on the flaws of the politicians that have similar political leaning to them. Fox News will almost always praise a Republican president, and New York Times will almost always praise a Democratic president.

However, from my observations, most media companies do have some integrity, and do not tolerate verbal assault on freedom of press.
  • Agility_DudeAgility_Dude 62 Pts   -  
    Yes. At least mainstream media.
    Applesauce
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    The media generally do not like people who call every criticism towards them "fake news" and threaten to sue everyone who dared to question their competency. Especially the media in liberal democracies, where journalists are the first line of defense against corruption and usurpation of power. So of course the US media, in general, will be very aggressive, towards him.

Not all of them, however. Many media companies are happy to close their eyes on the flaws of the politicians that have similar political leaning to them. Fox News will almost always praise a Republican president, and New York Times will almost always praise a Democratic president.

However, from my observations, most media companies do have some integrity, and do not tolerate verbal assault on freedom of press.
    I don't think it started out as "every criticism"  They have been wrong w/o accountability or admission on too many instances imo.  Then there's selective ignoring or downplay of positive events.  There is very little actual news anymore.  Long ago you were presented with a set of facts which you could make up your own mind, though imperfect as everything is, the current method is selective context and coverage, then they give you their opinions on how it should be interrupted aka fake news.  while he is to blame for the ammunition he gives them, the integrity of the news has all but vanished.  It's infotainment now.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    Is some media oro to get Trump? Absolutely, just as it was and will be for every president. Is there institution of the media out to get Trump absolutely not.  IfI like to borrow from @CYDdharta chart on this comment. The vast majority of the places in that chart all over the spectrum are terrible news sources. Some good ones are in there, business insider, BBC, wsj. That list is missing good sources like NPR, aljazeera, McClatchy, Associated press. If you sit someone down and they can say they get all their media exclusively from places on that chart and social media then yes the media is against Trump if it's a source on the left, but those are also trash sources that hardly count as news anyway. CNN and Fox are both entertainment not really news.
    Is some media oro to get Trump? Absolutely, just as it was and will be for every president. Is there institution of the media out to get Trump absolutely not.  IfI like to borrow from @CYDdharta chart on this comment. The vast majority of the places in that chart all over the spectrum are terrible news sources. Some good ones are in there, business insider, BBC, wsj. That list is missing good sources like NPR, aljazeera, McClatchy, Associated press. If you sit someone down and they can say they get all their media exclusively from places on that chart and social media then yes the media is against Trump if it's a source on the left, but those are also trash sources that hardly count as news anyway. CNN and Fox are both entertainment not really news.
    Associated Press (AP) and NPR are both on the chart (top lines and to the left).  
    WordsMatter
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @Applesauce

I think it has always been like this. There are very few media sources interested in providing objective information by the very design of mass media. Public media serve the state and are inherently biased as such, and private profit media have profit in mind and, as such, interested in providing the information that will boost their sales, rather than accurately describe facts. Non-profit media companies could be more or less unbiased, I suppose, but they still need to secure donors in order to exist, and those donors generally have a certain agenda, other than promotion of unbiased media.

That said, the US media is pretty good, as far as comparison to other countries goes. Having lived in Russia and seen what kind of "media" they have... Eh, I will take CNN and Fox News over those ones any day.
    Applesauce
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @lmaak_2091:

When it comes to some in the media, and who some of the media are posing questions to, do some get asked softball questions, while another individual might get asked the same question by various individuals nearly day in and day out? 

What kind of questions did President George W Bush and his press secretary have posed towards them?

What kind of questions did other former President's have posed towards them or their press secretaries, and some answers might be found in those exchanges?