frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Was it right for United Airlines to forcefully drag out the passenger?

Debate Information

The United passenger was dragged out kicking and screaming when he refused to get out from an overbooked flight.
  1. Live Poll

who was right?

17 votes
    1. United
      29.41%
    2. Passenger
      47.06%
    3. Both were wrong
      23.53%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    Both were wrong, but United defenitely messed up big time. PR nightmare.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/travel/united-passenger-pulled-off-flight/
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, it was wrong to many extents. They publically embaraaed and hurt the guy.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    United really needs to look at their customer service. Scary.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    It was an unacceptable action for United. I don't think I want to fly with them after this
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    Passenger didnot conduct himself in a civilized manner, but no way that gave United the right to apply violence.  Lack of common sense.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    It was illegal to use unreasonable force to extract the doctor from the plane.  Broken nose, etc.
    What was United thinking?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ual-passenger-idUSKBN17F1WT
  • PinoPino 85 Pts   -  
    It was a P.R, disaster but I'm sure within the small print of United's 'conditions of carriage' there will be a reference to their right to refuse or evict a passenger from any flight at their discretion.
    Whilst it can be legitly argued that excessive force was used during the removal of this uncooperative and bolshie passenger an equally legitimate counter argument could be entered that the force used was only that necessary to effectively complete his expulsion from the aircraft.
    It could also be contested that, as a result of his physical resistance to the efforts of the duly appointed members of the security staff he contributed significantly to the injuries which he sustained.
    In hindsight it's clear that the issue should have been addressed and resolved within the terminal. 
  • johannaruneljohannarunel 22 Pts   -  
    Yes, @Pino made a good point there. Although, it's a PR nightmare, I'm not sure how many people would boycott them due to their large amount of routes and pretty decent prices. I've seen many people who won't be due to these same reasons.
  • PinoPino 85 Pts   -  
    It has been my observation that when something, such as a disruptive strike or a lengthy delay people will openly vow never to travel with ''that airline again''.
    That is until the airline offers greatly reduced fares to popular destinations and suddenly the dissatisfied customers, c/w gum shields,  join the long queue to book their flights.
    The world would be a great place if we could all be as sure about everything as we are that such an incident will never occur again with United Airlines.

• kandhhjj_globalkandhhjj_global 25 Pts   -  
    It's crucial for United to reconsider their policies, which is what they are doing currently. I hope that PR nightmares like this don't happen again. It was a horrible incident, which United payed for.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Both were wrong. The passenger oaid the price by physical injuries and gettting his name dragged into the news.
    United will pay the price in PR nightmare and potentially some lost revenue (although I will argue that revenue loss will be minimal)
    Live Long and Prosper
  • The passenger was right, how could United be right by doing such a horrific thing to the passenger not heir airplane.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @okmnbhaetixlsa_10,
    I am not defending United by any means, but if I would be the passenger I certainly wouldn't want to have that type of escalation. Clearly, United messed up in an unbelievable way, but we will find out in future settlement/lawsuit discussions if there is a contractual fine print that allows Airline to extract passengers by force if they refuse.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • runi_1002runi_1002 17 Pts   -  
    @agsr ,made a great point. The passenger did in fact potentially give a not civil response.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @runi_1002 , thanks.  It was actually @Pino  who made the point originally about fineprint 
    when we do transactions in real life with large companies, we often accept terms and conditions that are carefully crafted by an army of lawyers, providing companies such as United CYA just in case they ever face litigation for cases like this.  
    That said, United is more interested in addressing PR nightmare in this prticular case than going through litigation with the passenger.

Live Long and Prosper
  • snlagsinstsnlagsinst 22 Pts   -  
    The passenger was right.