frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do political parties divide the nation or bring it together?

Debate Information

Do the republican, democratic, etc. parties divide the countries, I do not think so.
Do Political parties Bring the country together
  1. Live Poll

What do you think?

16 votes
    1. Yes
      62.50%
    2. No
      37.50%
DebateIsland.com Founder/Administrator | Contact Me Via Private Messaging (aarong), Contact Support At customerservice@debateisland.com | Happy Debating! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• mjhhjm90mjhhjm90 10 Pts   -  
    I believe that political parties do bring us together. Even though I'm a Democrat, I believe in a nation of democracy, it's good to hear different opinions from both sides of the aisle. And we can benefit more from learning from each other.
  • XtremenerdXtremenerd 2 Pts   -  
    Republican here, I think historically, yes parties have united the country, but in modern times, radicals have hijacked one party, and paranoia has gripped the other. This is causing a cultural division not seen for a long time. 
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    With current situation, political parties are batel relevant
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • PinoPino 85 Pts   -  
    In a multi-party democracy the nation is provided with the opportunity to carry out a bloodless revolution every 4 to 5 years.
    The competing parties present their manifesto to the nation and then, through persuasion and reasoning attempt to secure the greater number of votes.
    The power of the winner will be tempered with the balances and controls of the Senate and the voice of people through peaceful demonstrations. 
    ''Democracy is the worst form of government, apart from all the rest'', as Sir Winston Churchill said. 
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Trump is pulling our Nation Apart. All sides are now fighting with each other.  It is no longer Republican vs Democrat.  Everyone is fighting with each other. Trump against the rest of the world.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    @ale5 All sides were fighting when Obama left office.  If you want to point the finger at one person, I don't believe you can go any farther than the last administration.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    The two party system provides the balance needed for the political structure to be sustainable.  We see conflict between the two parties, some of it is healthy and some not.  
    There is lots of polarization going on now, and to some extend there was strong polarization when Obama was in the office to @CYDdharta  point.
    the fighting is not always across political party lines either.

I still prefer a multi-party system that generates conflicts vs a dictatorship like state.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Political parties, make the nation unite. I agree with @agsr , who made a great point.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • juristijul_24juristijul_24 2 Pts   -  
    Political parties are necessary to preserve democracy in this great nation.
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    It's very progressive to hear different opinions and share ideas. However, political parties categorize, so by definition they divide. The modern party system is ruining hopes for democratic progress.
    The alternative to a party system would just be no parties, and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that ^
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @melanielust , without the balance of multiple political systems, it maybe difficult to maintain democracy.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • johannaruneljohannarunel 22 Pts   -  
    I have to say, I agree with @melanielust . They actually made a good point. Although, I agree with @agsr too.
    @agsr  Political party systems are currently creating imbalance; the schism between democrat/republican is inflaming anger and hindering progress. Separating people by thought is unfair in many respects; perhaps the intention of a party system was to maintain democracy but it's not quite working
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    Yes, political parties are creating imbalance at the moment. There could be spurious to cope with this problem.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @melanielust , I don't think the the friction is just between Dems and Reps, but actually there is much polarization within parties as well.  There is a wide spectrum of fractions within each party and alliances are formed across many boundaries.  Unfortunately Trump brought a bit of polarization.
    Live Long and Prosper
    @agsr Good point about internal divisions; but isn't that also the result of parties?
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @melanielust ,
    parties are not the main driver for polarization.  The spectrum is just so wide.  I like the following political quiz that tells you where you fall within the left-right spectrum based on your position on variety of topics.  
    http://www.people-press.org/quiz/political-party-quiz/

I do agree that there is undeniably some degree of polarization due to Dems-Reps party line as well, but I am also debating that it is still better to have the parties to provide some healthy balance.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • snlagsinstsnlagsinst 22 Pts   -  
    They brig our country together. There needs to be some sort of arguments once in a while.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @snlagsinst, I agree that healthy conflict is critical, but I question if the 2 party system creates more bad vs good conflict.  Everyone is essentially fighting with each other, and alliances are now based on issues, not people.
    WhyTrump - a good question