frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Mexican-American student designs video game putting players in migrants’ shoes. Thoughts?

Debate Information

The game, called "Borders," challenges players to cross rivers and deserts in a bid to make it to the United States.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/03/15/mexican-american-student-designs-video-game-putting-players-in-migrants-shoes.html

“Trump definitely made me kind of stand up and put my voice out there,” Alvarez said, adding that he tried to find a way to help people understand the unimaginable dangers migrants are willing to face to find a better life north of the border.

“My goal is to move people to look at immigration differently,” he said. “I just hope people become more sympathetic.”

1. Live Poll

Thoughts?

18 votes
    1. Great Entertainment
      66.67%
    2. Horrible Idea
      33.33%
WhyTrump - a good question

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    It is great to see this kid creating a game like this.  Hopefully that will change public perception
    piloteer
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • nimailmsnimailms 2 Pts   -  
    Good idea, great entertainment.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    I think that is highly entrepreneural to take advanatge of current controversy for this student to create the game.  Instant marketing .
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I think that the premis of the game is based in illigal immigration and therefore enters the same category of other video games that are based in similar illigal acts - get points for killing someone, killing a prostitue, hi jacking a car, etc.
    I give credit to the kid who took advantage of timing to get publicity.  
    That said, I don't endorse illigal immigration or promotimg it in any way.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • keuzlekeuzle 3 Pts   -  
    That's great, this way average citizens can see what it's like to be an illegal immigrant.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @keuzle , I agree. Even if not everyone agrees with the illegal immigration policies, it must have been hell for illegal immigrants to make bold risks to come here and that needs to be acknowledged.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I agree with @agsr.  A game like this showing people what its like trying to get here illegally is like Saint's Rows showing with its like to be a gang member. 
    aarong
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    I don't see this being successful in anyway unless they put entertainment value in it.  Playing an immigrant realistically would hold the attention of the average kid for about 5 minutes before they got bored and decided to sell the game back to whatever store they bought it at.  Likewise I don't think a game about being in the shoes of a rich wallstreet business executive would be a best seller either.
    George_HorseZombieguy1987
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• valexiajj1927valexiajj1927 14 Pts   -  
    I agree with @Vaulk . I don't see this becoming the next big thing. It could become slightly successfully but I don't believe that it will really take off too much.
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5966 Pts   -  
    I think it depends much more on how the game actually is designed, than on what it is about. I can see the potential for the idea: one could create a stealth-based game, with a lot of guards patrolling the desert, with the hunger, thirst and heat mechanics, with camping system - and it could even be made into an MMO, where some people play the immigrants, and others play the guards. Especially given the controversy and both negative and positive publicity, I can see such a game becoming incredibly popular.

On the other hand, it could also be a disaster similar to Man vs Wild (video game), in case the game developer decides to focus too much on the message he is trying to convey, and too little on how to convey that message. Games based on some idea, but having very poor gameplay, rarely sell.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    That is a lovely idea.
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    Just more sympathy nonsense for illegal immigrants. Illegals are not good for our society, I know it is difficult for them, but I know that them coming here could either be good or bad depending on how they attempt to enter our country. I would give it 0/5 stars on the idea, though I'd give it good ratings based on graphics (Not a three dimensional 1990s game type)  plot, and overall gameplay. 
    cheesycheeseZombieguy1987
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    Typical conservative saying that because they cant provide anything for the u.s then they are not deserving of a better life
    Zombieguy1987George_Horse
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Typical conservative saying that because they cant provide anything for the u.s then they are not deserving of a better life
    How to make a counterargunent. 2018 edition 

Just make assumptions about a certain group without any form evidence to back up their  claim 
    cheesycheese
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    Well that is a main point that conservatives use
    George_Horse