frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Was It right for waiter to ask for proof of residency for 4 Latina women?

Debate Information

1. Live Poll

?

19 votes
    1. Yes - it was right
      26.32%
    2. No - it was wrong
      73.68%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    That is wrong, and the restaurant was right to ultimately fire the waiter. That is a form or racial profiling. Just because they are Latino, doesnt make it okay to ask for their documents.
    EmeryPearsonOakTownA
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    From Yelp reviews of this restaurant 

https://www.yelp.com/questions/saint-marc-pub-cafe-bakery-and-cheese-affinage-whats-up-with-the-citizenship-policy/VatYPF-gubOpCy_bRUpNkg

We are deeply saddened by this guest’s experience and have made the decision to terminate the employee in question. This type of behavior is not representative of the Saint Marc brand and it will not be tolerated. We have established our restaurant in a wonderfully diverse community and intend to uphold our standards of universal acceptance. The views of our former employee are not in line with that of Saint Marc, nor will we allow any current or future employee to treat any guests this way in our establishment. We appreciate you voicing your concern and allowing us to resolve this issue with the help of the community, and we’re deeply apologetic to anyone affected. 

Sincerely and apologetically, The Saint Marc team
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    I'm afraid I fail to see how this is an issue of Racial Profiling.  Granted I'd concede that it certainly wasn't his place to ask...but asking to see someone's ID is not a crime, nor is it reprehensible under any law or statute.  I'd pose to inc4t: How is this racial profiling?  As far as I know, Latino is not a race.  The United States Census Bureau uses the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Dominican, Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.  "REGARDLESS" of race means that Race is completely and totally irrelevant to being Latino.  So unless you're trying to say that ALL Latinos are one race (Which would be Racial Prejudice), then I'm afraid I cannot see much of a point in claiming that this waiter is guilty of "Racial Profiling".
    EmeryPearsonGeorge_Horsewith_all_humility
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    Yes, it wasn't his place to ask, but it's also not racial profiling.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I also agree with @natbarons . It was wrong, but not really racial profiling 
    Live Long and Prosper
  • No, and I have a feeling people may blame this act on Trump and his some what rasdical beliefs. Trump shouldn't be blamed. But this act should not have happened. It's simply an invasion of their privacy and wrong.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk, IMHO, is absolutely an issue of racial profiling.  Notwithstanding the issue of technicality of Latino/Mexicans being a "race", it was very obvious that they are Mexicans and discriminated against by the restaurant. I just don't want us to hold up a technicality to deny racial profiling for a clear cut discrimination case.
    EmeryPearsonwith_all_humility
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    Yes, what's the issue? He had the right to ask, it was not an invasion of privacy. If anything, they should be deported. The waiter should be asking who's llegal and not. They want them to be able to pay their own bill.
    EmeryPearson
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    I'm afraid in our touchy society of today's United States, the phrase "They were obviously Mexican" doesn't hold up.  The left-wing liberals have effectively created this problem during their crusade against racism (Which I still think is ridiculous).  Please understand that I acknowledge in full that what I'm about to talk about is clearly "Circular logic" of sorts, but I'm afraid this is the world we're living in...so here it goes:

How is it "obvious that they were Mexicans"?  I challenge you to NOT sound like a racist while answering this question truthfully lol.
    EmeryPearsonGeorge_Horsewith_all_humilityNathaniel_B
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• keuzlekeuzle 3 Pts   -  
    This was very wrong. The waiter was clearly discriminating and is a racist do to what he did.
    EmeryPearson
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    keuzle said:
    This was very wrong. The waiter was clearly discriminating and is a racist do to what he did.

@keuzle Racist against what race?
    George_Horsewith_all_humilityNathaniel_B

• lansilo_user19lansilo_user19 15 Pts   -  
    No, that was too much to ask and possibly illegal. I do understand his point, but it was just too much and wrong.
    EmeryPearson
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    It was wrong, but that girl on the far right of the photo can receive this Jalapeño anytime.  :+1:
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    This is a very poor action business-wise. For example, I am here legally, but I definitely do not carry my residence documents around with me all the time. Were they to ask me for one, I would not be able to provide it, and they would lose a customer - and get a very negative review on the Internet, which would hurt their reputation and profit.

The company reasonably took action against the employee and fired him. Unlike a random waiter, the management understands the relation between the quality of customer service and the profit of the company, and will not tolerate vigilantes bringing their political views into the job.

Applesauce