frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Debate Information

Should the voting age be lowered at all?
natbaronssocialmedia_an2831ale5billpassedmanetai
  1. Live Poll

Should the voting age be lowered?

15 votes
    1. yes
      33.33%
    2. no
      66.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    No, the government news to assure quality of the votes. Many kids in college and high school are brain washed and their schools really get the votes not them.
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    I actually think that would be a decent idea. While I agree that many younger kids are brainwashed, that is true for people post voting age also. We have many young talented entrepreneurs and brilliant kids who are much more mature than 50 Year olds.  Currently these kids are treated as minors and their votes don't count. If a 16 year old is mature enough to vote and willing to do that, maybe we should let them go for it.  
    The only problem I have is that it will really help Democrats and liberals, and I am hesitant to make that happen.

• averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I don't think that the voting age should be lowered because many people that are 18 have already had a job of some sorts whether it was a summer job or something else, they know what it is like and they know the problems that are going on the world. Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that 18-year-olds are a lot more knowledgeable. Also, 16-year-olds don't have as much knowledge and could take the voting age being lowered as a joke and vote as a joke when they don't know anything about the debates or what is going on in the world. That is why the voting age should not be lowered.
    socialmedia_an2831
  • The vote sneed to be valid and not from brainwashed students.
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    @socialmedia_an2831, agreed.  There is too much risk to lower the voting age. We would have disproportionate amount of liberal votes, and many of these kids are not mature to make such important decisions that impact the country.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    I support lowering the voting age.  If you can get a driver's learning permit then you are mature enough to vote.  What's the difference between 16 and 18? There is such a wide spectrum of maturity between kids anyway. Let them vote.  By letting them vote, it will teach them about responsibility.
    Logicbillpassedmelef
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    I agree with @ale5
    billpassed
  • billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    I agree with @logic and @ale5 .
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Yes, The younger generation knows best. The old ones are living in the past, Time changes, Young people know what they want.
    melef
  • melefmelef 69 Pts   -  
    Lowering the voting age pies the amounts of votes and crates more curate votes of what Americans citizens want.
    Logic
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    I agree with @melef
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    @Logic and @melef, I partially agree. Trying to balance immaturity of many kids (although some are extremely mature) with need of youung generation voice being heard. Since you both support 16 as voting age, what age is too young to vote in your opinion? 13, 10, 8, 6 lol? 
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    16 and below @islander507
    kmelkevolution17
  • kmelkevolution17kmelkevolution17 95 Pts   -  
    I agree with @logic .
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    The voting age should be raised to at least 21, the legal age for drinking.  Kids are staying home and living with their parents longer today than they have in 130 years.  Until they're out on their own, they can't make informed decisions about whats really best for themselves, their communities, and the nation.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, we allow elderly vote, after likely some of them lost their mind. At the same time 16 year olds in many cases are really mature and intelligent, but we treat them like kids.  Why do you feel that kids leaving at home with their parents should get disqualified from voting? What about adults leaving at home, should they lose their rights to?

Live Long and Prosper
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited May 2017
    @agsr ; My opinion is simply that the voting age should be raised because kids today are maturing and leaving their parents homes more more slowly, but It's interesting that the way you've misrepresented my view is so close to what the Founding Fathers actually established; that only land owners should get a vote. 

inc4tmanetai
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, great insight about land owners.  I didn't know that, thanks.  If we were to use founding fathers standards then renters wouldn't qualify either but again a really interesting insight.
    I guess I am asking why you feel that kids that stay home, is so highly correlated with rights to vote.  I think that while it maybe an indication of maturity, it can also be an indication of economic pragmatism.
    I wouldn't raise the voting age based on that, amd lean towards lowering.
    manetai
    Live Long and Prosper
  • manetaimanetai 29 Pts   -  
    I agree with @CYDHarta and @agsr .