frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Did Kathy Griffin go way too far?

Debate Information

Did Kathy Griffin go too far after her photo shoot holding Trump's bloody head?
aheadadwalterbanorthsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

?

19 votes
    1. Yes
      73.68%
    2. No
      26.32%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• aheadadaheadad 3 Pts   -  
    Yes, she scared his family including children.
    George_Horse
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    joecavalry
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    That is completely crazy and inappropriate 

joecavalrywalterbaVaulk
    Live Long and Prosper
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    she is a comedian and it is taken a bit of context. But it is on a border line of going too far.  I can see how people can get upset.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Freedom of speech. Not too far.
    Erfisflat1Hacker0JuicyMelonTechGeorge_Horse
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @CuriousGeorge, we should take both Griffin and Baldwin and just ship them off somewhere.  I wish we can show they are undocumented immigrants from hell and send them back there :)

WhyTrump - a good question
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    Although I don't agree with what she did, and I think she went too far, she still had the right to do that.
    SilverishGoldNovawalterbaSnakesOfferingApples
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    @1hacker0 , Kathryn griffin did not have any right to do that especially to Trump who holds the office of chief.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Agree with @ale5, freedom of speech has no limits. Similar to this.

1Hacker0SilverishGoldNova
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • walterbawalterba 59 Pts   -  
    Freedom of speech should have some limits and what she did was wrong.

She deserved to be booted of the networks or some of them.
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNova
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    @joecavalry @walterba Not being able to criticize our leaders is no different than china's censorship. If anything, she should only be banned from kid's shows since it is too violent, but she never made it to those shows in the first place.
    Erfisflat
  • JuicyMelonTechJuicyMelonTech 98 Pts   -  
    ale5 said:
    Freedom of speech. Not too far.
    I agree, what I don't understand, is the rodeo clown situation, in which the rodeo clown put on an Obama mask and said "I'm not a clown, I'm just going around acting like one" the rodeo clown was promptly fired, even though gen has done this act with many presidents before.

i feel like Obama created some kind of race echo-chamber, In which everyone who disagrees with him is racist

p.s Kathy griffin is dangerously unfunny
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Kathy Griffin wanted to do this as a publicity stunt to get media attention.  Her being provocative was not appropriate in this case.
    SilverishGoldNova
    Live Long and Prosper
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    Whether someone stays at a job or is fired has nothing to do with freedom of speech.  Freedom of speech only pertains to the government.  It only restricts the government from prosecuting someone because of what they said.
    agsr
    CYDdharta said:
    Whether someone stays at a job or is fired has nothing to do with freedom of speech.  Freedom of speech only pertains to the government.  It only restricts the government from prosecuting someone because of what they said.
    This is untrue, can universities oust staff with different opinions? I think that most institutions must uphold free speech.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    @JuicyMelonTech Of course they can, universities regularly get rid of conservatives when they speak up.  Can the company you work for get rid of you if you start posting about how lousy they are on FaceBook?
    CYDdharta said:
    @JuicyMelonTech Of course they can, universities regularly get rid of conservatives when they speak up.  Can the company you work for get rid of you if you start posting about how lousy they are on FaceBook?
    I don't think this is moral, this is quashing free speech, universities should be a place for exploring and debating ideas. 
    Erfisflat1Hacker0
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  

I don't think this is moral, this is quashing free speech, universities should be a place for exploring and debating ideas. 

I make no judgements as to the morality, only the legality of what freedom of speech actually means.  If a university's policies bother you; don't attend it, don't donate to it, make your feelings know in social media.  The last thing we need is for the government to get involved.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    I'm in agreement with @CYDdharta , This isn't a matter of freedom of speech truly, it's a matter of personal preference.  If CNN doesn't want to sponsor someone...then CNN is a Business and can rightfully choose to do so.  Cathy Griffin hasn't faced any charges for her actions...and that's proof that her freedom of speech has been protected.  However just because you have the freedom to make a statement...your 1st Amendment rights don't protect you from public backlash lol.  The 1st Amendment can't keep you safe from people being angry at what you say or do.

Finger guns for @CYDdharta , 1st Amendment has nothing to do with Morality, it's a legally protected freedom...nothing more.  And I agree that we shouldn't involve the Government in solving State matters.  If we truly wanted to solve the overwhelming liberal atmosphere at Universities...we should pull their state funding and let them drown in their own debt and lack of student attendance.
    northsouthkorea
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• agsr said:
    Kathy Griffin wanted to do this as a publicity stunt to get media attention.  Her being provocative was not appropriate in this case.
    Nowadays people will do anything for attention
    northsouthkorea
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • @vaulk, very good argument!