frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do we care How A Flamingo Balances On One Leg?

Debate Information

Scientists Pinpoint How A Flamingo Balances On One Leg
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/may/25/scientists-pinpoint-how-a-flamingo-balances-on/
Maybe I am missing something, but why would this discovery be interesting in any useful way.  I was thinking if it could help us solve any real life problems, but cannot think of any. Can you?

joecavalrybillpassedputinfan
  1. Live Poll

Do we care How A Flamingo Balances On One Leg?

8 votes
    1. Yes - It will lead to some relevant useful discovery
      87.50%
    2. No - It always bothered us to know and now we do - purely academic
      12.50%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    I don't think it matters. Sometimes scientific discovery exists for the sake of discovery, not because it is necessarily useful, and I think that's great. A wide range of people could be interested in this - ornithologists, biologists, physicists, etc. I guess it could be argued that this discovery can aid humanity by helping us study stability, motion, and balance, which can help improve anything from athlete performance to architecture. Scientists study animals all the time to see if any of their adaptations can apply to our human world. At least it's something interesting to some people, personally after reading the article I found it interesting as well.
    WhyTrumpEvidence
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @melanielust, I agree as well. Science doesn't always need to be useful, as otherwise it would become to commercial.  I always wondered about the Flamingo's and enjoyed reading the article. Wasnt crazy about dead flamingo, but it's not like they killed it :)

melanielust
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Actually, this could be a useful development for robotics and artificial intelligence.
    islander507Evidence
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, possibly.  I don't think I can see direct application unless there is some unforeseen efficiency of one-legged robot. 
    I agree however that it can somehow turn into a useful discovery 
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, it could contribute to builidng new technologies.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    Of course it is helpful.  We now know the meaning of life and how to achieve inner peace.  I mean look at that form....
    billpassed
  • billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    It is very helpful, we can take DNA samples from the flamingos and adapt this into humans.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Now I can learn how to stand on one leg for hours like Flamingo. lol
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • putinfanputinfan 12 Pts   -  
    Yes, and it's dacinaiting research that can contribute to international societ for animals and humans alike.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    @putinfan, I also agree that the research will have good potential.  Even if it doesn't nothing is wrong of having such research just for sake of science.
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    I think the bird is just showing off?
    I mean walking and  standing on two long stilts/sticks is bad enough, but ONE? Yeah, just showing off. Like the humming bird that never stops flying, almost never uses its legs, you know what I mean?
    And just think, both supposedly evolved over the same 4.2 billion years, same food source, same continent, same air, starting as the same amoeba .. why? Why would one evolve as an easy target for the predators? Even looks like an already roasted goose, ready to eat!
    It screams "Come and get me! Eat me!" lol.
    CuriousGeorge
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:
    Actually, this could be a useful development for robotics and artificial intelligence.

You're right, it sure could. Look how long it took to make the Honda ASIMO robot to walk up the stairs, .. now lets see ASIMO walk with two long sticks like that, or balance on one of them going off line, .. in sleep mode!?