frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Abiogenesis possible?

Debate Information

Abiogenesis is a theory for the origin of life widely accepted by supporters of evolution. I don't agree with it, there really isn't any evidence it is possible.
manuymelanielustmelefspandamnatbaronsWoodenWoodyolostidefeaEmeryPearson
  1. Live Poll

Is Abiogenesis possible?

19 votes
    1. Yes
      68.42%
    2. No
      31.58%
I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Is it likely that all scientists believe that crap, or that unless you do believe it, you aren't considered a valid scientist?
    EmeryPearson
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • melefmelef 69 Pts   -  
    @SilverishGoldNova , I politely believe that this theory is false and there isn't enouph valid evidence to support it.
    ErfisflatEmeryPearson
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    @melef For the most part abiogenesis is an excuse
    manuyEmeryPearson
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • manuymanuy 18 Pts   -  
    @SilverishGoldNova , I agree with that. The theory is false and has such innacirste backing on it. Many scientific theories in the past have false claims as well.
    ErfisflatEmeryPearson
    @manuy There really isn't any proof that it is real and there is a ton of evidence showing that it is false/impossible 
    ErfisflatEmeryPearson

• melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    I think it's possible, but not in the way a lot of people describe. Spontaneous life doesn't just happen, but with the right circumstances very simple enzymes and amino acids can be formed, then over tens of thousands of years, microorganisms, and the rest is history.
    ErfisflatEmeryPearson
    I think it's possible, but not in the way a lot of people describe. Spontaneous life doesn't just happen, but with the right circumstances very simple enzymes and amino acids can be formed, then over tens of thousands of years, microorganisms, and the rest is history.
    You seem so sure, though not an ounce of practical evidence supports it.
    EmeryPearson
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    @Erfisflat
    I believe in it because to me at least, it makes sense. Everything I've ever studied in biology and chemistry supports it.

All the chemistry we know and observe today can explain the conditions of the world billions of years ago. Not spontaneous creation of life, no, but the origins of life from chemical compounds.

From modern science, we know that life necessitates a combination of certain types of amino acids; from these acids come genes, DNA, and then complex structures. To make sense of how life came to be we need to understand how those amino acids joined together in the first place, which is something that is very easily studied in a lab. Most of them were joined through chaotic reactions in the acidic, chemically diverse environment back when the earth was just liquid and atmosphere.

Where true life comes in starts with the later product, RNA, which allows for self-replication. That's how cellular organisms came about. If you'd like any specific experiments that have proven this I'd be more than happy to explain :)

A common argument against all this (I think I've seen someone on here say it before?) is that it's just too specific. There's no chance that the conditions could be that perfect to support and sustain life so suddenly.

But it wasn't sudden; it was a VERY long chemical process. And it wasn't just chance, relatively speaking. I think one of the more interesting interpretations of evolution is the religious perspective that God set all of these conditions to be perfect.

Personally I don't think it's that oddly specific. The universe is so incredibly large that these conditions had to have happened sometime - so large that the spark of life in our small corner of the galaxy isn't so much of a miracle. A lot of people see that as depressing but I think it's exciting and amazing.
    EmeryPearson
    @Erfisflat
    I believe in it because to me at least, it makes sense. Everything I've ever studied in biology and chemistry supports it.

All the chemistry we know and observe today can explain the conditions of the world billions of years ago. Not spontaneous creation of life, no, but the origins of life from chemical compounds.

From modern science, we know that life necessitates a combination of certain types of amino acids; from these acids come genes, DNA, and then complex structures. To make sense of how life came to be we need to understand how those amino acids joined together in the first place, which is something that is very easily studied in a lab. Most of them were joined through chaotic reactions in the acidic, chemically diverse environment back when the earth was just liquid and atmosphere.

Where true life comes in starts with the later product, RNA, which allows for self-replication. That's how cellular organisms came about. If you'd like any specific experiments that have proven this I'd be more than happy to explain :)

A common argument against all this (I think I've seen someone on here say it before?) is that it's just too specific. There's no chance that the conditions could be that perfect to support and sustain life so suddenly.

But it wasn't sudden; it was a VERY long chemical process. And it wasn't just chance, relatively speaking. I think one of the more interesting interpretations of evolution is the religious perspective that God set all of these conditions to be perfect.

Personally I don't think it's that oddly specific. The universe is so incredibly large that these conditions had to have happened sometime - so large that the spark of life in our small corner of the galaxy isn't so much of a miracle. A lot of people see that as depressing but I think it's exciting and amazing.
    and you believe all of this based on books written by men. I see many assumptions in your statements and I don't think any of it has been proven via the scientific method. 
    1. Billions of years.
    2. The earth was once liquid and atmosphere 
    3. A large universe 
    4. That we are in an insignificant corner of

Seeing that most of these stem from assuming we are on a heliocentric spinning ball, and there is no reason to assume that anymore, it all seems like pseudoscience to me. Apologies for any disrespect, but I love science, but I'm more of a natural sciences type of guy. Something that is testable repeatable scalable and practical is, and should be the core of science. Is there something practical you can give me to validate abiogenesis, or any of those claims? 
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat

and you believe all of this based on books written by men. I see many assumptions in your statements and I don't think any of it has been proven via the scientific method. 
    1. Billions of years.
    2. The earth was once liquid and atmosphere 
    3. A large universe 
    4. That we are in an insignificant corner of

Seeing that most of these stem from assuming we are on a heliocentric spinning ball, and there is no reason to assume that anymore, it all seems like pseudoscience to me. Apologies for any disrespect, but I love science, but I'm more of a natural sciences type of guy. Something that is testable repeatable scalable and practical is, and should be the core of science. Is there something practical you can give me to validate abiogenesis, or any of those claims? 
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat
    Sure thing; I don't think any of this has to do with the earth being spherical but I'm glad to explain.

Billions of years: we know this through carbon dating, of which I am not an expert. Basically carbon comes in a few isotopes; matter that contains both carbon-12 and carbon-14 isotopes comes in proportions. Carbon-14 is radioactive so we know it decays over time, and those proportions change. Measuring that C-12/C-14 ratio allows us to know how old the carbon is, and the oldest sample of matter on this planet we've ever found is billions of years old: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-do-we-know-earth-46-billion-years-old-180951483/ This is similar to how we know what the earth used to be made of and we can use the evidence to make fairly accurate (again, we can't know for sure) predictions about how it developed.

Size of the universe: radio telescopes, one of my favorite kinds, give a lot of cool information. The way they work is they send out radio waves, which reflect off of large-mass matter objects, such as asteroids and planets. The time it takes for the waves to come back after they bounce can be plugged into equations to find the distance of the object. That's how we know the size of our solar system. For WAY outer space much more advanced tech is used: measurements of brightness. Brightness has an interesting relationship with distance. Stars that slowly vary in their brightness over time are called Cepheid variables, and the rate of their pulsation (which can be measured over a few days by looking at the sky) has to do with how bright it actually is. Its intrinsic brightness (absolute magnitude) versus how bright it appears to us (apparent magnitude) can be used to measure distance. Since magnitude is so easy to measure astronomers use it all the time. For an explanation of the math see this link: https://lco.global/spacebook/cepheid-variable-stars-supernovae-and-distance-measurement/ Our universe stretches millions of light years across, and some people think it's bigger. Observably it's about 8.8x10 ^ 23 gigalightyears long, at the highest estimates.

Insignificance: I'll admit that's mostly subjective. Personally I think that with such a large universe, such a small portion of it (our planet) could only be considered a tiny corner.

The thing about studying the history of universe/earth is that it's impossible to conduct experiments that exactly tell us what happened in the past. What we have is a planet, samplings of earth, various technical measurements, and accurate predictions. Experiments conducted here and now give us those predictions.
    EmeryPearson
    @Erfisflat
    Sure thing; I don't think any of this has to do with the earth being spherical but I'm glad to explain.

Billions of years: we know this through carbon dating, of which I am not an expert. Basically carbon comes in a few isotopes; matter that contains both carbon-12 and carbon-14 isotopes comes in proportions. Carbon-14 is radioactive so we know it decays over time, and those proportions change. Measuring that C-12/C-14 ratio allows us to know how old the carbon is, and the oldest sample of matter on this planet we've ever found is billions of years old: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-do-we-know-earth-46-billion-years-old-180951483/ This is similar to how we know what the earth used to be made of and we can use the evidence to make fairly accurate (again, we can't know for sure) predictions about how it developed.

Size of the universe: radio telescopes, one of my favorite kinds, give a lot of cool information. The way they work is they send out radio waves, which reflect off of large-mass matter objects, such as asteroids and planets. The time it takes for the waves to come back after they bounce can be plugged into equations to find the distance of the object. That's how we know the size of our solar system. For WAY outer space much more advanced tech is used: measurements of brightness. Brightness has an interesting relationship with distance. Stars that slowly vary in their brightness over time are called Cepheid variables, and the rate of their pulsation (which can be measured over a few days by looking at the sky) has to do with how bright it actually is. Its intrinsic brightness (absolute magnitude) versus how bright it appears to us (apparent magnitude) can be used to measure distance. Since magnitude is so easy to measure astronomers use it all the time. For an explanation of the math see this link: https://lco.global/spacebook/cepheid-variable-stars-supernovae-and-distance-measurement/ Our universe stretches millions of light years across, and some people think it's bigger. Observably it's about 8.8x10 ^ 23 gigalightyears long, at the highest estimates.

Insignificance: I'll admit that's mostly subjective. Personally I think that with such a large universe, such a small portion of it (our planet) could only be considered a tiny corner.

The thing about studying the history of universe/earth is that it's impossible to conduct experiments that exactly tell us what happened in the past. What we have is a planet, samplings of earth, various technical measurements, and accurate predictions. Experiments conducted here and now give us those predictions.
    So, nothing at all that's practical. Since I've given practical and logical evidence that refutes the claims made, I have to assume that the information is unverifiable and false. As you hinted, carbon dating is inaccurate. Even evolutionary scientists accept that carbon dating is entirely ineffective in measuring time. Not only is it ineffective with relatively short periods of time, but the entire theory is based off a premise that essentially says that the maximum amount of years it can be used for is 40,000 years. 

This means that using radiocarbon dating to say that anything existed 65 million years ago is like using a thermometer to measure the height of Mount Everest. The only people you will fool is the people who don't know what a thermometer is. 

According to Luigi Cavalli-Sforza, an evolutionary geneticist from Stanford University, who wrote the book, "Genes, People, and Languages" which was published in 2000,
    The most crucial dates in modern human evolution are unfortunately beyond the range of the radiocarbon method, which has a limit of about 40,000 years (Cavalli-Sforza, 2000, p. 61)
    Additionally, evolutionist Richard Dawkins, author of the famous book, "The Blind Watchmaker", had this to say about radiocarbon dating:
    Different kinds of radioactive decay-based geological stopwatches run at different rates. The radiocarbon stopwatch buzzes round at a great rate, so fast that, after some thousands of years, its spring is almost wound down and the watch is no longer reliable. 

It is useful for dating organic material on the archaeological/historical timescale where we are dealing in hundreds or a few thousands of years, but it is no good for the evolutionary timescale where we are dealing in millions of years (Dawkins, 1986, p. 226).
    So even the top evolutionary scientists in the world affirm that radiocarbon dating is impossible to use to determine the age of anything.
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
  • m_abusteitm_abusteit 101 Pts   -  
    Ever heard of the miller-urey experiment? 
    melanielustEmeryPearson
    @Erfisflat
    How is that impractical? It directly addresses the claims you made and it's been proven and tested and the technology has been perfected over the years so I'd say it's all pretty accurate, plus it's sourced.

But let's address carbon dating since you brought that up, and had very good points. I think some of your information may be a bit misconstrued; "even the top evolutionary scientists in the world affirm that radiocarbon dating is impossible to use to determine the age of anything" is an immense exaggeration. Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza never worked on carbon dating, and the book you mentioned only goes into genetics and distinctions between race, not carbon dating. He actually used carbon dating in one of his more famous experiments: http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0030436

The other quote you gave was accurate. Here is the full quote from his text "The Blind Watchmaker:" 

"More recently, advances in physics have given us methods to put absolute dates, in millions of years, on rocks and the fossils that they contain. These methods depend upon the fact that particular radioactive elements decay at precisely known rates. It is as though precision-made miniature stopwatches had been conveniently buried in the rocks. Each stopwatch was started at the moment that it was laid down. All that the palaeontologist has to do is dig it up and read off the time on the dial. Different kinds of radioactive decay-based geological stopwatches run at different rates. The radiocarbon stopwatch buzzes round at a great rate, so fast that, after some thousands of years, its spring is almost wound down and the watch is no longer reliable. It is useful for dating organic material on the archaeological/historical timescale where we are dealing in hundreds or a few thousands of years, but it is no good for the evolutionary timescale where we are dealing in millions of years." 

He then goes on to say how there are other methods of proving that the earth is millions of years old, specifically the potassium-argon method. Read about it on page 227:

https://cbs.asu.edu/sites/default/files/PDFS/Dawkins Puncturing Punctuationsim.pdf

All scientists have their debates, but most agree that carbon-dating is accurate. I applaud Dawkins for questioning it, but he still believes earth is that old using other methods.

EmeryPearson
    @melanielust

Good points, I'll get back to you after a bit more reading. But by practical, I mean something anyone can do.
    melanielustEmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    Ever heard of the miller-urey experiment? 
    I've heard that it disproves abiogenesis.
    http://creation.mobi/why-the-miller-urey-research-argues-against-abiogenesis

https://evolutionnews.org/2014/06/squeezing_the_l/
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
  • spandamspandam 43 Pts   -  
    I agree with @melanielust . It isn't possible and probable based on the theory of evolution An do physical evidence of the theory.
    To the flat earther with his link, i am not going to even bother checking out the creationist website. The evolutionist websites three major arguments were against recent variations not the original experiment. The three major counterarguments are molecular oxygen, amino acids in water and UV Light. For the oxygen thing, oxygen only came into the atmosphere when cyanobacteria came to exist and cyanobacteria came much after abiogenesis. Cyanobacteria are life and they are what converted CO2 in O2 in early atmosphere. 

Proteins in water - some fold forming polymer and more bonds. Some dissolve.
    Indiana univeristy - 

http://www.indiana.edu/~oso/lessons/prot/folding1.htm

Actually according to fox proteins can form by coming into contact with extreme heat like the sun-heated clay or rocks or even sand. So formation in water does not become such a problem.

Uv rays - ever heard of the ozone layer buddy?

https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/ozone/additional/science-focus/about-ozone/ozone_formation.shtml

The ozone is just O3 not O2 which kills bonds.

Irrelevant but curious, what evidence do you have for a flat earth?

EmeryPearson
    @m_abusteit

Loads, and unlike miller-uley, its all practical. Anyone can prove it. You should check out my debate here. You think you live on a spinning ball? Prove it.
    http://www.debateisland.com/discussion/comment/4941#Comment_4941

EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat

Why does the common man need to be able to perform an experiment in order for that experiment to be valid?

With the right materials at hand, anyone could do the miller-uley experiment.
    EmeryPearson
    @Erfisflat

Why does the common man need to be able to perform an experiment in order for that experiment to be valid?

With the right materials at hand, anyone could do the miller-uley experiment.
    Verifiability gives more credence to a claim than an appeal to authority, agreed? For instance, my science book claims the earth is a ball, even gives me a little cartoon to go along with the claim, but that's demonstrably false.
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat  ok in the beggining I thought you were trolling but now you might be serious. As for the miller urey you have not really disproved anything and you just shifted the argument to flat earth. This answers your original post that yes abiogenesis is definetly possible. You have proposed no countrarguments against abiogeneis sand just abruptly shifted to flat earth. Dont you think its a little bit for someone in the 21st centure to believe that we live on a flying flat pancake? What is on the edge of the flat earth? Can you fall off the edge? How is it that humanity can go explore the moon and other planets and can send probes to the sun but have not found that edge nor the bottom of the flat disc of the earth? What is on the bottom of the earth? How do you explain day and night? If the earth is flat should not light hit all of it at once and eliminate ay and night? How do you explain round lunar eclipses on the moon? If the earth was flat, should not the earth cast a horizontal line as a shadow if it was flat disc instead of a round shadow? How do you explain the ships seeming to "sink" in the horizon if the earth is flat? How do you rationally explain the multiple lines of photographic evidence of the spherical earth from different aeronautics agencies, ameican and other countries? How do you explain the fact that other planets and celestial bodies like he moon are round and spherical? Dont believe they are? Grab a telescope and look at them for yourself.
    Even if the earth is flat, gravity would eventually turn it into a sphere. How do you explain the fact that airplanes have to adjust for the curvature of the earth? All pilots confirm this. How do you explain aristotle's observation that travelling away from the equator allows you to see more and new star constellations ? On a flat earth, shouldnt you be able to sell all the stars everywhere? How do you explain differences in temprature if the sun is hitting the flat earth all at once, should not we all have the same amount of sunlight and the same amount of heat. How do you explain different seasons without the angle of inclination of a spherical earth? How would a flat earth have different seasons if we all have the same exposure to the sun and the same insolation? I could go on forever. Just accept the evidence. Accept that the earth is not flat and is round. Dont redirect me to some link that will not respond to any of this. What evidence do you have for a flat earth? Why do you believe in a flat earth? If you do it because of the bible, well the hible got a lot of things wrong like evolution, the big bang, slavery like how  Jesus recommends that disobedient slaves should be beaten (Luke 12:47) or even killed (Matthew 24:51) and lack of womens rights who should stay silent in church and who have no authority over men. Why is the bible reliable if it got a lot of tjings wrong.
    EmeryPearson
    @Erfisflat  ok in the beggining I thought you were trolling but now you might be serious. As for the miller urey you have not really disproved anything and you just shifted the argument to flat earth. This answers your original post that yes abiogenesis is definetly possible. You have proposed no countrarguments against abiogeneis sand just abruptly shifted to flat earth. Dont you think its a little bit for someone in the 21st centure to believe that we live on a flying flat pancake? What is on the edge of the flat earth? Can you fall off the edge? How is it that humanity can go explore the moon and other planets and can send probes to the sun but have not found that edge nor the bottom of the flat disc of the earth? What is on the bottom of the earth? How do you explain day and night? If the earth is flat should not light hit all of it at once and eliminate ay and night? How do you explain round lunar eclipses on the moon? If the earth was flat, should not the earth cast a horizontal line as a shadow if it was flat disc instead of a round shadow? How do you explain the ships seeming to "sink" in the horizon if the earth is flat? How do you rationally explain the multiple lines of photographic evidence of the spherical earth from different aeronautics agencies, ameican and other countries? How do you explain the fact that other planets and celestial bodies like he moon are round and spherical? Dont believe they are? Grab a telescope and look at them for yourself.
    Even if the earth is flat, gravity would eventually turn it into a sphere. How do you explain the fact that airplanes have to adjust for the curvature of the earth? All pilots confirm this. How do you explain aristotle's observation that travelling away from the equator allows you to see more and new star constellations ? On a flat earth, shouldnt you be able to sell all the stars everywhere? How do you explain differences in temprature if the sun is hitting the flat earth all at once, should not we all have the same amount of sunlight and the same amount of heat. How do you explain different seasons without the angle of inclination of a spherical earth? How would a flat earth have different seasons if we all have the same exposure to the sun and the same insolation? I could go on forever. Just accept the evidence. Accept that the earth is not flat and is round. Dont redirect me to some link that will not respond to any of this. What evidence do you have for a flat earth? Why do you believe in a flat earth? If you do it because of the bible, well the hible got a lot of things wrong like evolution, the big bang, slavery like how  Jesus recommends that disobedient slaves should be beaten (Luke 12:47) or even killed (Matthew 24:51) and lack of womens rights who should stay silent in church and who have no authority over men. Why is the bible reliable if it got a lot of tjings wrong.
    I think you originally queried about flat earth. It looks as though you just don't understand the flat earth model. To keep from derailing this debate  (flat earth disproves evolution) please read the debate, and I can address any more concerns you have there. You'll find most of your answers have already been covered. 
    aarongnatbaronsEmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    I agree with @Erfisflat .
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNovaEmeryPearson
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    Abiogenesis might or might not be true, but the way schools teach it, it seems like they want to make us believe it is absolutely true. Most of the evidence for it is either speculation, or outright false.

I think abiogenesis is a valid theory which makes sense when you think about it, but it has no evidence for it. It also doesn't explain how consciousness works.
    yolostideEmeryPearson
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -  
    Yes, it seems certain it happened with the only question being exactly how - because it was so long ago and there are multiple possibilities for specifically how abiogenesis could have occurred so it's nigh impossible to work out which of the possibilities is more likely..
    DawnBringerRivenEmeryPearson
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    By the way. Spelling and grammar are going seriously downhill!.

With regards to the issue in question.
    Before we can proffer any credible answers to this question.
    It would firstly be necessary to determine what "life" actually is.
    yolostide
  • yolostideyolostide 95 Pts   -  
    I believe that abiogenesis might be not true.
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNovaEmeryPearson
    yolostide said:

Will you tell us why you have these beliefs.
    yolostide said:

Probably because Abiogenesis is a proofless excuse that says we all came from dissolving amino acids that turned into monkeys.
    EmeryPearson

yolostide said:

Probably because Abiogenesis is a proofless excuse that says we all came from dissolving amino acids that turned into monkeys
    Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to say here.
    I'm sure no one has ever seriously proposed that dissolving amino acids turn into monkey's.
    I would suggest that abiogenesis is a sound theory, rather than a "proofless excuse".

Nonetheless, theory is merely theory, until proved otherwise.
    Therefore the onus is on you to disprove abiogenesis.
    Unfortunately your counter proposition, lacks any credible substance.
    EmeryPearson
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited August 2017

@Fredsnephew Umm the fact that the theory of abiogenesis says that we formed from dissolving amino acids (which has been proven impossible) which turned into monkeys (aka evolution), which eventually turned into us.
    EmeryPearson

• NightwingNightwing 54 Pts   -   edited September 2017
    Since abiogenesis doesn't specify any actual mechanism for it to happen, it may be using a mechanism we don't know about.

On the other hand, a cell is highly complex object. It's one thing to build a brick, quite another to build a city.

It may be possible, but very very improbable. It may be so improbable that it isn't a practical to consider it possible. It only has to happen once, of course.

DawnBringerRivenEmeryPearson
  • Now a lot of good points here but I see there isn't any arguments for the abiogenesis side that really does the theory justice, I will present a better argument for abiogenesis done by someone else who has studied abiogenesis and knows a lot about it just so everyone in this forum understands abiogenesis a lot better. 

"It turns out that it’s pretty easy to form many kinds of organic molecules, in a wide range of environments... There is a long history of attempts to create various organic molecules – such as amino acids – from simple precursors such as carbon dioxide, ammonia, and water, in conditions which simulate those of the early Earth."[1]

Abiogenesis is not some fringe scientific concept; it should not be confused with the idea of spontaneous generation. The main hypothesis of abiogenesis is that organic materials on the Earth (coalescing from internal organic compounds and asteroid impacts) agglomerated into life forms. "Concentrated thus they react to form glyceraldehyde, amino acids, and the components of nucleosides." And so became the materials necessary for life.[2]

Now on to how abiogenesis can result from simple organic compounds. 

"Essential to the spontaneous origin of life was the availability of organic molecules as building blocks. The famous prebiotic soup’ experiment by Stanley Miller had shown that amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, arose among other small organic molecules spontaneously by reacting a mixture of methane, hydrogen, ammonia and water in a spark discharge apparatus. These conditions were assumed to simulate those on the primitive Earth. Already in 1922 Oparin had proposed that the early Earth had such a reducing atmosphere... It was suggested that only in a reducing atmosphere like this, synthesis of organic molecules – also sugars and organic bases, building blocks of nucleotides – would have been possible in large amounts."(Note that when the author uses the term "spontaneously", he refers to the reaction of molecules into compouds; it's not like the compounds suddenly came into existence.)[3][4][5]

An illustration of the Miller-Urey experiment can be seen here:

One of the most important building blocks of life is nucleotides, as they make up both DNA and RNA, the genetic "code" the defines every individual's characteristics. These nucleotides could easily have formed from the "primordial soup" as well, due to their similar chemical structure, as illustrated here[7]:

These newly created organic compounds eventually coalesced into the first complex substance contained in life - RNA: "John Sutherland and his colleagues from the University of Manchester, UK, created a ribonucleotide, a building block of RNA, from simple chemicals under conditions that might have existed on the early Earth.""The study by the group of John Sutherland shows how nature could have spontaneously assembled pyrimidine ribonucleotide monomers from prebiotically plausible molecules through intermediates that contribute atoms to both the sugar and base portions of the ribonucleotides, thus avoiding a condensation step of sugar and base altogether"[3][6]

This chart shows how this process is possible:

Caption: "Pyrimidine ribonucleotide assembly options. Previously assumed synthesis of b-ribocytidine-2’,3’-cyclic phosphate 1 (blue; note the failure of the step in which cytosine 3 and ribose 4 are proposed to condense together) and the successful new synthesis described here (green). p, pyranose; f, furanose. (5 = Cyanoacetaldehyde, 6 = urea 6, cyanoacetylene 7, 8= cyanamide, 9 = glyceraldehyde, 10 = glycolaldehyde, 11 = 2-amino-oxazole, 12= pentose amino-oxazoline, arabinose derivative, 13 = anhydroarabinonucleoside)."[3]

So essentially, this is the process of abiogenesis in a nutshell[7]:

The next process would be to start to coalesce these life materials into a living organism. "The group of Jack Szostak has performed extensive and plausible studies that these fatty acid vesicles as containers for RNA would have allowed growth and replication merely by physico-chemical mechanisms, until a more sophisticated membrane machinery, steered by the cell itself and more resembling what is found in current organisms, would have taken their place... The group of Szostak also has demonstrated that nucleotides can pass through prebiotically plausible fatty-acid based vesicles and that non-enzymatic template copying of a model oligo dC DNA template can take place within them, which, in connection with the studies of vesicle growth and division, reveals in principle how a heterotrophic protocell may have functioned."[3][8]

Further, "Extrapolating from all the above data, inside fatty-acid vesicles the first self-replicating RNA molecule could have started copying itself. During copying, various things would have been possible. High-fidelity copies would have yielded the same self-replicating molecule. Copies with errors would mostly have resulted in RNA that was non-functional, but in a minority of cases, they could have yielded RNA that copied itself faster. It has been shown that RNA/vesicle systems that contain more genetic material (which would have resulted from faster RNA replication) develop more internal tension than neighboring vesicles that do not contain as much RNA, and draw membrane material from them. Importantly, this would have allowed for natural selection of vesicles by competition even in the absence of the ability to synthesize their own membrane components and therefore to directly control their own growth. Thus, for the first time, a system would have had the ability to undergo Darwinian evolution by natural selection acting on variation. This would have been a new and crucial emergent property arising at the transition from non-life to life.."[3][9]

This process can be illustrated here:

Caption: "Conceptual model of a heterotrophic protocell. Growth of the protocell membrane results from the incorporation of environmentally supplied amphiphiles, whereas division may be driven by intrinsic or extrinsic physical forces. Externally supplied activated nucleotides permeate across the protocell membrane and act as substrates for the copying of internal templates. Complete template replication followed by random segregation of the replicated genetic material leads to the formation of daughter protocells."

I am going to end my argument here with this quote: "This is among the simplest semblance of “life” that we have described, as biotic things commonly serve to create order from chaos (organize materials) in an effort to enhance their own survival. It wouldn’t take much to imagine that this could initiate a snowball effect, resulting in the hoarding of mass amounts of complex molecules, which would aid in the creation of small, self-replicating molecules that are capable of evolving to better survive in their environment (life)."[7]

I've been through the majority of the important stages of abiogenesis and proving them. That last quote pretty much explains how a heterotrophic protocell could have evolved into prokaroytes, eukaroytes, and complex life. 

Sources

[1]: http://www.universetoday.com...;
    [2]: http://www.gla.ac.uk...
    [3]: http://www.talkorigins.org...
    [4]: Miller, SL. "A production of amino acids under possible primitive earth conditions." Science. 117 (1953): 528-529 
    [5]: Chyba C and Carl Sagan. "Endogenous production, exogenous delivery and impact-shock synthesis of organic molecules: an inventory for the origins of life." Nature. 355:125-132 
    [6]: http://www.nature.com...
    [7]: http://christopherjrex.hubpages.com...#
    [8]: Mansy SS and Szostak JW. "Thermostability of model protocell membranes." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105 (2008): 13351-13355 
    [9]: http://www.sciencedaily.com...

NOTE: Sources 4-5 and 8 were quoted from source 1.
    SilverishGoldNovaEmeryPearson
  • ChristChrist 39 Pts   -  
    Abiogenesis is a theory for the origin of life widely accepted by supporters of evolution. I don't agree with it, there really isn't any evidence it is possible.
    Of course it's possible, you're here aren't you?
    SilverishGoldNova
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    Christ said:

False dilemma fallacy, "You're here" is not an argument.

Christ

Christ said:

So what?

SilverishGoldNova
    Christ said:
    Christ said:

So what?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_the_stone
    SilverishGoldNova

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Christ said:
    Christ said:

So what?

Are you trying to tell me you are stoned?

SilverishGoldNova
    Christ said:
    Erfisflat said:
    Christ said:
    Christ said:

So what?

Are you trying to tell me you are stoned?

While I am stoned, this is not what I am trying to say. Maybe something shorter to read will explain the fallacy.
    http://www.crisismagazine.com/2017/throwing-stones-everyones-favorite-fallacy

Wayne Dyer
  • NightwingNightwing 54 Pts   -  
    Christ said:

Kind of More of a non-sequtur.

SilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
    Either way, it's a fallacious argument. One can argue that Creationism is real because "you're here" which would be equally fallacious. 
    SilverishGoldNovaEmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer